Eat Stop Eat vs The Warrior Diet

July 30, 2009

I’ve been getting a ton of questions about Eat Stop Eat and The Warrior Diet and which is better.

I’ve been using intermittent fasting steadily for 2-3 years (can’t remember exactly when I started). I began with The Warrior Diet and it worked to a certain extent, but something didn’t quite “feel” right. While I think The Warrior Diet was a groundbreaking book and it was the first book to bring intermittent fasting to the masses, I believe Eat Stop Eat is a more effective and healthy way to drop body fat.

In this post, I will give you my experiences with both methods and explain crucial differences between these two ways of eating.
eat stop eat
[I was actually searching for a picture of warriors or gladiators, but found this brutal photo instead. When will the violence end? Can’t we all just get along!]

My One Meal Per Day Warrior Diet Post Has 1,371 Comments!

Back in June of 2007, I wrote a post called Lose Body Fat By Eating One Meal Per Day. It was basically outlining The Warrior Diet and explaining to people that they could lose weight without having to eat 6 meals per day. Little did I know that this post would become so popular!

I rarely see blogs with over 300 comments on a single post, let alone 1,300! Reading and responding to the comments on this post, I found many others who lost body fat following The Warrior Diet.

I had been experimenting with it on and off up until that point…but June 2007 is when I fully adopted The Warrior Diet lifestyle.

A Basic Outline of The Warrior Diet

The Warrior Diet is a method of eating where you aim to eat one big meal per day at night. For the most part you fast during the day. On some days you can eat a bit of fruit, but for maximum effect you fast until dinner whenever possible. Once you eat, you have a 3-4 hour window to eat until you are full.

You are suppose to listen to your body and eat until you are satisfied instead of aiming for a specific calorie range.

Why the Warrior Diet is Effective

The Warrior Diet works well, because while you are fasting your body releases HGH and also is much more likely to use fat for fuel. Since you consume your daily calories in one big meal, you can eat higher calorie foods while still creating a calorie deficit for weight loss.

Countless people have done well following this diet, after being unable to lose fat following the “eat every few hours approach”. The Warrior Diet is a big step in the right direction.

eat stop eat

[I apologize ahead of time for this picture. It is by far the least “warrior like” picture ever and makes me laugh! Your testosterone probably dropped a little just by looking at this. Even the couch is pink. Okay, sorry about that…back to being a Warrior!]

My First Big Mistake With The Warrior Diet

The biggest mistake I made when following The Warrior Diet, was to use it as an excuse to be able to eat junky food while still being able to stay lean.

I figured if I had 2,200-2,500 to work with in one meal…I could regularly eat pizza, nachos, large plates of pasta, etc. The problem was that I underestimated the calories and would go way over this mark. Also, I was eating unhealthy foods on a consistent basis.

I Switched to Healthy Foods, But Still Faced Challenges

After putting on a little bit of body fat, I decided it was time to clean up my diet. Here was the big problem…my appetite was massive at night and I was able to fit a lot of food in my stomach.

Eating one BIG meal was giving me the capacity to eat bigger and bigger meals (my stomach was expanding a bit). Even if the food was healthy I tended to eat everything in excess. I would go to bed with a bloated stomach and wake up feeling a little groggy. I didn’t do well with all of this food in my stomach.

Eating Like This Everyday Began to Feel Unnatural to Me

Now the great thing about The Warrior Diet is that you do have the flexibility to do eat like this just a few times per week or every day. The problem is that since those one meal days were focused on one big meal, my appetite was insane when I did eat. I just had a tough time “putting on the brakes” when I ate.

Also, I couldn’t get quite as lean as I was accustomed to being, by eating this way. I have a feeling it was due to the fact that there was food in my stomach when I went to sleep.

This probably doesn’t affect people with 20+ pounds to lose, but when you want to get extra lean…this does make a difference.

After One Solid Year of Eating Like This I Found Eat Stop Eat

At first glance Eat Stop Eat seemed like the same thing as The Warrior Diet. Although they both are forms of intermittent fasting, Eat Stop Eat is quite a bit different than the Warrior Diet.

The differences weren’t obvious until I read the course. This little post doesn’t do the course justice, but I’ll do my best to point out a few key differences.

A Video of Brad Pilon – Creator of Eat Stop Eat

[I just wanted to throw in a video to break up the long post. This is just a sample of one of Brad Pilon’s videos. I have always recommended going into a workout in a fasted state and Brad Pilon shows the scientific reasoning behind this. He has a bunch of great videos for free over on Youtube: Brad’s Youtube Channel.]

With Eat Stop Eat You Fast Until Dinner 1-2 Times Per Week

The good thing about Eat Stop Eat is that you only fast 1-2 times per week. This makes it an easier diet to follow in my opinion. The rest of the time you eat naturally, which for most people means 3-4 healthy meals per day.

Brad doesn’t want people to get food obsession and not enjoy the occasional pizza or other high calorie food, but if fat loss is your goal then you will want to limit this type of food. I like to eat mainly a paleo diet when possible…things like stir fry, salads, etc.

The idea behind Eat Stop Eat is that it should be an easy to follow for the long term.

With Eat Stop Eat, You Never Purposely Eat a Big Meal

This is where most people go wrong with Eat Stop Eat: People assume that they eat one large meal like The Warrior Diet, but just do it twice per week. This is not the way Eat Stop Eat was meant to be followed. With Eat Stop Eat, you eat a regular size dinner (600-1,200 calorie range…a rough estimate).

So 1-2 days per week, you are having a much lower calorie day than normal. So in essence this reduces you calorie intake by 10-20% each week.

The Reason You Can’t Do an Eat Stop Eat Fast Every Day

Eat Stop Eat works because your body can easily handle a low calorie day every once in a while, without negatively affecting your metabolism.

Try to do this every day and within 2-3 weeks bad things will happen. The Warrior Diet is different, you are getting your daily calories all in one meal. With Eat Stop Eat, you are striving for 1-2 low calorie days. Too many low calorie days in a row are what cause eating disorders.

My Verdict After a Solid Year Following Both Methods…

I have been able to get leaner following Eat Stop Eat. This isn’t necessarily a flaw with The Warrior Diet, I just found that eating one big meal increased my capacity to eat bigger meals. Since I try to avoid big meals at night, I never go to bed with a bunch of food in my stomach.

I have been able to get as lean as I’m accustomed to being.

Tip: I used to use the fasting days as a way to get away with eating more calories at night. You will get better results if you make these strict, low calorie days. This will create that nice weekly calorie deficit.

Summary: This is just my experience with The Warrior Diet and Eat Stop Eat. Many people have done well following The Warrior Diet and continue to lose weight.

Also, this post doesn’t take place of either course. It is impossible to have full understanding of either method from just a few short posts.

Hope my explanation cleared up any confusion regarding the 2 approaches to eating!

Hector Cuevas July 31, 2009 at 12:11 am

…wow, this goes against EVERYTHING i believe in..lol

I guess this is what works for me.. I don’t like going to bed with food in my stomach neither.. so I usually don’t eat after 8pm.. if I do, it’s usually a yogurt or something very light.. or else I’ll wake up feeling like crap..

but.. great job describing the differences..

keith July 31, 2009 at 12:33 am

so lets just say for example that in order to lose weight i have to consume 2000 calories or less a day. For the warrior diet, does this mean i can consume 2000 all in the same meal and still lose fat. Also it doesnt matter if this is junk food or not right? I could have 2000 calories of burritos/tacos/pasta/ burgers/etc… as long as im within that 2000 calorie range( its the caloric deficit that matters right if im good at counting calories). This would technicaclly work right?

Rebecca July 31, 2009 at 12:44 am

Great read – do you avoid dairy and grains as prescribed in the Paleo diet?

baz July 31, 2009 at 12:47 am

hey rusty,

Firstly, great stuff as always.

I have a bit of a problem. I have been training hard for a while and put of a fair amount of mass,however, I’m going overseas in a few months and there I will have no access to a gym. the closest thing I will have is a chinup bar and, well the ground. No weights at all. I will be there for about 6 weeks and I’m terrified that I will lose all of my precious muscle I have worked so hard and spent so much money on food and gym memberships to build. Even though I’m not leaving for a little while yet, the thought of losing all that muscle has made me unmotivated to go to the gym now. I figure if I’m just going to lose it all why work to build it now. The good thing is by that time I will be in my maintenance phase so I won’t be trying to build muscle but just to maintain what I have. Do you have any ideas on what I can do? All I can think is pushups and chinups. Now I can’t increase the weight I lift with these so do I just increase the number of reps each excercise instead?

Norbi July 31, 2009 at 1:02 am

Well, I haven’t tried the Warrior Diet, therefore I have no experience with it, so I can’t give a comparison between the too. On the other hand, when I switched to my ‘healthy lifestyle’, almost immediately I found this site, and started following Eat Stop Eat. I must say it’s absolutely incredible. I’ve been losing weight at the maximum ‘healthy rate’, between 2 – 3lbs / week like clockwork for the past almost 4 month. Finishing up this last week of the 4th month, I’ll be happy to say that I lost 36lbs of fat in 4 month, and I was not very strict about my diet by any means. Although I tried to eat healthy, lots of fruits and vegetables, chicken and turkey breast, high fiber stuff like brown rice, high fiber cereal, beans, etc, and changed several parts of my diet to low fat or lower calorie alternatives, I got to enjoy foods and drinks I like quite often as well, and I still got the results. Being 5’10 tall and at 146lbs, I got pretty skinny, and am still losing weight at the 2lbs/week rate. I think it’s a good point Rusty that you don’t get used to eating huge meals. Right on the other side of the matter, what I think is great about ESE is that while you’re eating normally you can try to improve your overall diet without going extremely low calorie, the fasting days create a big calorie deficit, then on other days when it happens you can enjoy high calorie meals… you get the personal satisfaction, you don’t have to worry about ruining ‘your week’, because at the end, you still created a great deficit, AND also in my understanding this also helps keeping up your metabolism (so in a sense ‘cheat days’ are an essential part of the whole). I also agree that it helps a LOT to pay attention to your meal at the end of your fasting day. For a while I weighed myself quite often, rather out of curiosity, and I found that while I usually hit lows at the end of my fasting session, if I had a healthy low calorie meal to finish it up, I’d weigh even less (sometimes even a pound or more less) the following morning. It might be just a coincidence though, I don’t know, but it even feels better to eat something light than jumping on a huge plate of something heavy after not eating for 24 hours, and then feel miserable for the rest of the day / night.

Aditya July 31, 2009 at 1:06 am

Exactly the post I was waiting for, Rusty! Awesome post! Thanks for this info. 😀

Actually I was the one asking you in a lot of post about the credibility between Eat Stop Eat and The Warrior Diet. Well I guess my diet is a mixed version of both. The reason being is that I work in an IT company and if at all I aim for 3 healthy meals while following Eat Stop Eat, I wont do much, since the kind of food available here in the cafeteria are mostly greasy burgers/pizzas or sugary doughnuts/chocolate shakes and stuff like that. So a person like me only has one option to follow, The Warrior Diet. My dinner is not exactly a large one, it actually is a pretty medium sized one, with 4/5 eggs and 4 Chicken Sausages stir fried in 1 tea spoon of oil. I do NOT go for a large meal at all. And during the day I basically eat 2 bowls of fruits. So I guess it should be okay, what do you think Rusty?

I guess its the person alone who can decide what works for him. I use the ESE and The Warrior Diets as the basic guidelines to design my diet, even if I am not following the diets in the exact textbook manner. I MIGHT be wrong, Rusty. And if I am, please correct me.

Another thing I would like to point out is, the basic of all fat loss programs, to me, is a Calorie Deficit. How we make it happen, in a healthy manner, is what matters most. Am I right, Rusty?

Thanks,
Aditya

PS: Rusty, is the post about getting ready for the beach before 2/3 months coming around any sooner?

Craig July 31, 2009 at 1:23 am

I’m sitting here dying, I actually am doing a 38 hour fast right now and am 24 hours into it. I’ll eat for the first time after my morning workout tomorrow, around noon. And it will be awesome, can’t wait. Today I lived off water and 2 cups of yerba mate tea, fun stuff, but it does feel rewarding. And my waist is smaller today than normal so that’s a cool feeling.

Just for the books, it’s a lot easier to fast than I thought. I had hunger pangs obviously, but stay mentally strong and they’re actually kind of enjoyable (sounds anorexic, not trying for that) because you have to test yourself to do something that isn’t quite comfortable.

So Rusty my question to you is, what do you think about eating normally 6 days a week, and then fasting for a whole day each week, which would mean you’d eat 15% less a week. At 85% of your normal caloric intake, is this a good option on losing that last bit of fat? I rang in at 4% bodyfat today but still don’t believe that handheld monitor.. I’d like to be at 4, but would say I’m closer to 6%. Would eating 6 days a week be a good way to get there?

Michael Cecchin - Fat Loss Tips & Reviewed Products July 31, 2009 at 1:24 am

The warrior diet is interesting but I can see where it would fall flat, its a little bit too extreme for my liking.

I couldn’t agree more with your assessment of Eat Stop Eat. Brad’s whole mentality of not letting your diet, or your exercise, control your life is something that has seriously influenced me over the past year as well. Once you can take a step back and realize you don’t NEED to eat every day, or every 3 hours, etc. etc., ESE really gives you back control of your life.

Its one book that I truly believe everyone should read. Even if you don’t adopt intermittent fasting into your lifestyle, you’ll become a smarter person and eater for the rest of your life.

thanks for the post Rusty. have a great weekend.

Jake Dennert July 31, 2009 at 2:05 am

Very informative post, Rusty. I’m one of those guys that pretty much survived on the Warrior Diet before I even knew it existed. I would just eat light throughout the day, have an intense workout in the late afternoon/early evening, and have a big, healthy meal right afterward.

I also find it hard to fall asleep on an empty stomach, so I sometimes (more often than not) break the rule of “No Eating Before Bed”.

I think the biggest problem people face when they just start the Warrior Diet is getting used to eating so much food at night. They’re so used to hearing the same old stuff when it comes to fitness and dieting: “Eat small, frequent meals throughout the day, and don’t consume anything 2 hours before going to sleep”.

My current eating habits have worked great for me so far. I don’t actually follow the Warrior Diet, but mine is so similar, I might as well be.

“Eat Stop Eat” sounds like it would a good stepping stone for someone who is thinking about the Warrior Diet, but is still unsure. Fasting 1-2 times per week will be less of shock to your body than fasting every day.

Again, nice post Rusty…keep up the good work!

Punk July 31, 2009 at 2:13 am

Hey Rusty, I’ve been following the Warrior Diet for the last month or so and after reading the article I was wondering if my metabolism has/will slow down since I’m more or less fasting everyday even though I still get my daily caloric intake.

I actually find the Warrior Diet easier to follow since once I get into the habit of eating one large meal a day I find it easy to follow, while on ESE I find myself making excuses and delaying the days in which I should fast.

Jedi (France) July 31, 2009 at 3:08 am

Rusty, I have done both and prefer ESE too, however, I don’t think you are presenting the WD fairly. ori clealry states you should not be fasting during the day but eating fruits, veggies, kefir etc in an undereating way. Also what you did at night was not at all what he suggests ie he states clearly the types of things to eat, what foods NOT to combine and how to cycle high fat days and high carb days. This latter point is i think a crucial part of being successful on the WD.

Chris July 31, 2009 at 3:39 am

I actually like the warrior diet approach, although I agree it can get a bit odd at times. I think the benefits are mental in nature – I found it easier to eat at 4pm (basically my lunch, left in the fridge until 4pm), then eat my dinner at 6:30pm, without having to make any ‘choices’ about food in the day. I know a lot about nutrition, but if I go to a cafe for a healthy salad, that knowledge doesn’t help when I end up picking up a cake and other rubbish because of my weak will power. That choice goes away with the warrior diet, as you basically don’t have to think, you know you have nothing until the evening. There’s also something satisfying about having a big meal in the evening. If you ate until you were stuffed (or full at least) on a normal diet, you would be concerned that you had overdone it.

The downside comes from practical things like business lunches – I can’t imagine too many business colleagues reacting well to a request to defer lunch until 4pm. I just decided to not sweat it those days and to just try and stick roughly to the warrior diet principles (which basically meant a salad). Remember, the warrior diet actually doesn’t suggest fasting in the day, it suggests “under eating”. The author tells you to eat small amounts of fruit and vegetables if you need it. That for me, is a significant difference between ESE and WD. I actually think both are great. Although I am tired of explaining them to people dyed in the wool of “low fat diets”.

Jason G July 31, 2009 at 3:58 am

The Warrior Diet in my opinion has more potential than Eat Stop Eat as far as rapid weight loss is concerned in less a person eats low calorie on the non fasting days using Eat Stop Eat. I think the Warrior Diet works better because you are ALMOST fasting every day. Ori’s book would have been a little more effective (for weight loss) if he had some kind of calorie limit for the dinners. However a smart dieter can do well on this diet by coming up with his own calorie limit.

Ori does give a lot of nutrition information in his book and suggests that you eat whole organic foods. He even suggests starting the meal with vegetables and/or soup which would aid in losing weight. If I wrote the book I would have put a lot more emphasis on fiber and even recommended that half of each meal should be vegetables. Anyway Ori makes solid recommendations as well for which kinds of healthy fats, carbohydrates, and proteins to eat (he even has a list of healthy whole foods to eat). I believe that the sample meal given in the book was a healthy salad, some kind of soup, and cooked vegetables (he should of made the cooked vegetables a rule not a suggestion).

The Warrior diet could be a good life diet if the person chooses not to take it to the extreme. For example as Warrior has stated on prior posts Ori pushes more towards eating raw vegetables and fruits during the day and not doing a complete fast. He even allows easily digested proteins like yogurt, protein powders, and eggs. This means that a person on the warrior diet can wake up have two boiled eggs, yogurt, and some fruit on the side for breakfast. The same person could have a raw vegetable salad and a protein shake for lunch and berries in the late afternoon. In fact Ori at no point in the book recommends complete fasts, but instead states that they are allowed. Obviously if the same person ate junk food at night this Warrior Diet would become useless as the calories are starting to add up.

I have used both Eat Stop Eat and the Warrior Diet and I also believe that Eat Stop Eat is an easier life diet to follow. However a person who follows the Warrior Diet and makes the right food choices will probably get leaner faster. Right now I am doing a reverse Warrior Diet where I eat a large breakfast including eggs or beans, whey protein, corn tortillas, and lots of vegetables (probably a thousand calories). I eat a little fruit during the rest of the day and end the night with a handful of nuts and two to three scoops of whey. I also drink a lot of green tea including matcha green tea. Everyone should read about matcha tea- it’s super healthy!

Baz,

Do this routine when you are over seas:

I also have one of those resistance bands for when I travel and I do curls, shoulder raises, etc. This is the one I have and it comes with a door latch so you can perform back exercises:

SPRI ES502R Xertube Resistance Band with Door Attachment and Exercise Charts (Blue, Heavy)

baz July 31, 2009 at 5:39 am

Forgot to add,

What is the best way to prevent muscle loss but to lean out to single digit body fat at the same time? Would just following one of these diets do just that, or will it be harder to hold on to that precious muscle?

Thanks as always.

Michiel July 31, 2009 at 5:50 am

Hey Rusty
I’m loving the eat stop eat approach and i cant wait to start it. At the moment i’m at 8% BF but i like to maintain this when i go on vacation. I’m going to hike in Sweden for about 2 weeks, which means i will walk pretty much and dont have much food with me. Some days we will stay at a camping so i can try to do a bodyweight workout there. What is your opinion to keep my muscles cause there will be enough days with low protein and calorie intake.

Thanks alot

Greetz

Elliot Wilson July 31, 2009 at 6:49 am

I don’t know much about Eat Stop Eat, but I’ve been following the Warrior Diet on and off for a while now. I think the big key is to customise it to yourself. Initially I was following it pretty much to the letter and I turned in to a metabolism machine, I lost heaps of weight including muscle. Later on I modified it a little bit and managed to curb the severe weight loss.

Another diet that I suggest you try out is Mark Sisson’s Primal Blueprint. I’ve had quite a bit of success following some of his principles.

Palidor July 31, 2009 at 6:53 am

“With Eat Stop Eat, you are striving for 1-2 low calorie days. Too many low calorie days in a row are what cause eating disorders. Fasting 1-2 times per week improves health. Fasting like this every day is not good for you at all.”

Rusty, you are so right about that. I’ve been doing ESE for the past ~6 weeks, and I’ve been going overboard on fasting. Having previously had an eating disorder, I know that overfasting has the potential to lead me down that path again.

Although initially I had great results, I’m now feeling tired with diminished energy levels, diminished workouts, and thus diminished returns. In the last few days, I’ve started to ease up on my approach and follow ESE the way it was meant to be – 2 fasts per week, normal eating the rest of the days. There is, of course, the fear in the back of my mind that I’m going to put on massive amounts of weight. I know this is ludicrous because I was fit and leading a healthy lifestyle before I began ESE; I just wanted to get leaner. So, I know that I’m not suddenly going to become unfit by eating normally again.

Thanks for this post, Rusty. You’re like the voice of reason, and I’m going to take your words to heart.

Adam Steer - Better's Better July 31, 2009 at 7:04 am

Great post. I like that you are able to compare the two from solid and prolonged experimentation. I’ve played around a bit with the WD concept, but most of my fasting experience is with ESE.

I’d just like to add that ESE is also extremely flexible in that you can start and stop your fast whenever you like. Right now, I’m fasting once a week from noon to noon. I have a very busy client roster on both Monday evenings and Tuesday mornings. So by going from lunch to lunch over that span I hardly have time to notice that I’m fasting.

And that’s the other trick to making fasting easy. Make sure you’re busy. Idle hands make for a hungry stomach… 🙂

Cheers,
Adam

douglis July 31, 2009 at 7:11 am

Has anyone who follows the warrior diet or fast5 or any other IF variety checked his cholesterol and blood pressure levels?

mickieb July 31, 2009 at 8:55 am

I made that mistake of eating ESE daily for 2 weeks and I did end up with a great energy loss and felt like my whole body was dead. So I changed it up and put back the other meals, eating good foods. I got my energy back in 1 day, but it was an eye opener. Now that this article is out, I’m going to adopt the ESE the way it was designed, 1 or 2 days per week!

mickieb July 31, 2009 at 8:57 am

At some point, I had tried eating Warrior style, but just as Rusty says, the stomach expands and so does the appetite! One night I was so uncomfortable with all the food in my stomach, it kept me awake until the food finally emptied from my stomach, 3- 4 hours later. Not fun. I think the 1-2 days of ESE will work much better.

Greg at Live Fit July 31, 2009 at 9:03 am

I have a friend who lived Warrior Diet lifestyle for years. He eventually discovered tjat method of eating was provoking wild swings in his blood chemistry, which was responsible for other issues. It sounds as if Eat Stop Eat would mediate that somewhat.

Maria July 31, 2009 at 9:10 am

the pics are cracking me up 🙂

Brandon July 31, 2009 at 10:31 am

Try bodyweight exercises. Rusty does a post on this, and theres one bodyweight exercise that kicks my butt called the 500 bodyweight challenge. Try those, trust me, you’ll stay jacked after those.

Rodney July 31, 2009 at 11:01 am

I touched on this in an earlier post, but would like a little clarification. If I am doing a 24 hr fast should I time it for a day when I am doing a specific type of workout or mix it up a bit. In other words should I fast on a rest day, a day where I go for a slow 2 hour hike, a day of heavy weight training, or a day of high intensity such as sprints? My first two fasts were on Sundays following my long hikes and worked fine. Should I try a few fasts to end an hour or two after one of my more intense workouts or does it really matter that much?

Awesome post (as usual). I’m looking forward to your testosterone post, as I am keenly interested in the hormonal nature of health and fitness!

warren July 31, 2009 at 11:03 am

I think with this post you realy answerd my my question fom earlier this week. Thanks! I have been going heavy on the calories on my fast days. I will try for lighter meals to see what happens. Also I think I will stop making thurs through friday afternoon one of my 24 hr fasts because that usually means I’m breaking at happy hour and you know what that means. ; )

TonyKim July 31, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Great article. Love the photos too! Very cute kittens… of course, different from the usual kittens you post, but cute nonetheless!

Jess July 31, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Baz- I understand your anxiety. I spent a month in Ecuador and experienced similar worries. Try bodyweight workouts-Craig Ballantyne from Turbulence Training has great (free) one on his site. Great that youve adopted a ‘maintenance’ mindset-Ive found this is essential in keeping fit while travelling; its all too easy to have a ‘screw-it-I’ll-get-fit-when-I-return’ mentality.

Rusty-Great post and great timing.
I recently started ESE and happily abandoned the ‘6-meals-a day’ practice. The first few fasts were difficult, and I found I was waiting in anticipation for my next meal, so I consumed a lot at dinnertime.
Brad stresses the importance of eating a ‘normal’ sized meal after the fast, and Ive found that after a few fasts, your appetite decreases, so you naturally eat until satisfaction. On some days, Ill get ‘tempted’ to break my fast 6 hrs in (when grehlin is higher, stimulating appetite). But if I persist over this ‘hump’ of hunger, drink green tea, Im not even that hungry after 24 hrs, and sometimes tempted to go longer- but Ive read that optimal fasting time is18-24 hrs to induce fat burning while maintaining muscle.

Thanks for the post, Rusty!
btw, you recommended Lyle McDonalds’ Rapid Fat Loss for ‘vacation prep’. Is the fat loss achieved comparable to methods such as ESE, and were you able to maintain the benefits for very long?

DR July 31, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Quick question about the duration of the fast.

Assuming I sleep 7 hrs the night before a fasting day and that I fast for 12-16 hrs before eating dinner, that means I am looking at a total fast of 19-23 hrs (just spitballing here)

Is it vital to fast for this length of time?

What would happen if I ate my re-feed meal at lunch and then skipped dinner

Same amount of calories over the same period of time. But instead of a straight 20 hrs, it would be broken up into a 14 hr fast / lunch / 6 hr fast

Any ideas?

cb July 31, 2009 at 1:14 pm

hey rusty ive been following your blog for a while and ive become interested in the eat stop eat diet. is it necessary to spend the money to buy it because i dont really have much money?

Ramon July 31, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Love the pictures Rusty!

Grok July 31, 2009 at 3:22 pm

I also practice both. I just listen to my body and which one it wants at the time.

I probably prefer WD, but that said I’m currently around 6 meals a day with an occasional fast.

Anna @ pathtofatloss July 31, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Hi Rusty, I got excited when I saw the title of this post. I always wondered about the Warrior Diet since I haven’t tried it myself. Anyway, I just ended my second fast yesterday and my plan of action is actually similar to what you’re doing right now. For awhile, I kinda just went into maintenance because of all the major stuff going on in my life. But, this week I started a carb cycling/Eat Stop Eat combo which I would outline in a future post. I really do think that ESE is the best way to eat and best way for fat loss. For those who haven’t tried it, I urge you to do so especially if you have stubborn fat just don’t seem to come off.

Thanks for a great post, Rusty!

Anna

Rafi Bar-Lev July 31, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Rusty, your personal comparison between eat stop eat and the warrior diet is really interesting. In fact, I liked this post so much I stumbled it!

I was also wondering – when you’re in “fast” mode, do you ever feel dizzy or have low energy levels for the day, or you find that it just doesn’t affect you at all?

Great post Rusty.

-Rafi

Helder July 31, 2009 at 6:29 pm

I never liked much the idea of one meal a day, because of the simple fact that one has to eat a lot in that one meal, and the body absortion capacity is probably not enough, besides it can be possible that you make your stomach bigger.

The eat stop eat seems a more balanced way to achieve the same goal.

Josh July 31, 2009 at 11:44 pm

I had a lot of the same problems with the Warrior Diet. I would fast up until dinner and then eat whatever I wanted. I should state that this IS NOT what Ori reccomends, but having all of my calories in one sitting caused me to overestimate how much I really needed to eat. As a result I never really lost much weight using the program. With Eat Stop Eat I have been able to reduce my calories very easily. I eat 2-3 meals per day. If I am eating 2 meals per day they are each roughly 1000 calories. If I fast from dinner until dinner the next day, I cut 1000 calories from my total for that day. Do this twice per week and I am in a deficit of 2000 calories without any pain or guesswork on my part. I was able to reduce from 215 to 185 lbs and I credit that to ESE. Exercise did not play much of a role for me as I was already lifting weights and doing 20mins of HIIT 3x per week. I love the ESE lifestyle and can happily see myself following this way of eating forever!

Eddie August 1, 2009 at 1:43 am

Rusty have you checked the Velocity diet out? since your into all this low calorie, and low carb dieting; you should check it out, and give us your thoughts. I have a link to an alternative version, and its pretty good. I was thinking about giving it a go this year while I was trying to lean out; just discovered it a bit late.

dave August 1, 2009 at 8:19 am

I got similar experience with ESE and WD, but when i combine it with Primal blueprint a got very fast good result. These diet are very similar for me, but with a different approach. Each have it’s force and weak, but with a little bit of mix of each i get a diet adjust for me.

admin August 1, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Hector,

There are many approaches that work. ESE just makes it easier to create a calorie deficit without having to be dramatically different than the way most people eat.

keith,

A calorie is just a calorie to a certain extent, but there are some fat loss benefits to not spiking your insulin levels. Also, eating healthier makes for a healthier body.

Rebecca,

I don’t personally avoid grains altogether, but I do try and limit them to a certain extent.

baz,

You should learn body weight circuits before you leave. I have a link at the top of my site. Also…type in body weight into the search bar on my site. I have several articles on the subject. I also have a guest post that I will release next week about body weight exercises.

Norbi,

That is incredible that you have lost 36 pounds in 4 months. Keep up the great work! Also, good point on keeping that one meal light for maximum effect. I have come to the same conclusion.

Aditya,

You are right. The best way is to find a simple way to create an ongoing calorie deficit average if you are trying to lose weight. I will get that beach ready course done one of these days…I am just enjoying the summer so much that I haven’t been working as much. Once the Seattle rain hits, I will have much more time to get this completed.

Craig,

You are one sick puppy, aiming for a 38 hour fast…but I know you are ripped, so whatever you are doing is working. Just make sure not to starve yourself and get some calories once your fast is over. So it sounds like you want to do one aggressive fast instead of 2 easier fasts where you eat one meal per day. I don’t see anything wrong with that if it fits into your lifestyle. Monitor your strength levels and make sure you eat healthy meals when you do eat to get all of your vitamins, etc.

Michael,

Eat Stop Eat is one of the best books out there for a healthy lifestyle approach to staying lean. I really consider it one of the best courses in my digital library and refer to it often.

Jake,

To me where Eat Stop Eat shines is those 1-2 days of fasting wind up being low-cal days.

Punk,

Good point…for some people The Warrior Diet does fit in better with their lifestyle.

Jedi,

True about me not following the Warrior Diet to the “T”. I guess I found it harder to follow than ESE…another reason I use ESE style fasts. Some people do have great results on The Warrior Diet…it was just tough for me to stay as lean as I like.

Chris,

The best thing about both diets is that it gives your digestive system a rest. I am glad there are times when I don’t feel like there is food in my system. I drink water, workout, sweat and feel a bit detoxed.

Jason G,

What I do like about ESE is that the fasting days are a change from your everyday way of eating. It is like the body doesn’t adapt to eating 3-4 meals per day -or- the fasting. It is this contrast that makes it work so well in my opinion…but like you said, if you want rapid fat loss those non-fasting days need to be low-cal. Thanks for giving good advice to Baz.

Baz,

The easiest way to lean out without losing muscle mass is to maintain strength with resistance training while dieting hard. There have been studies of people maintaining muscle on 800 calories per day, as long as they performed resistance training a few times per week. In fact, I have a post on that. Search for 800 calories per day in my search bar. I’m not advocating that anyone eats that low in calories by the way on a day-to-day basis.

Michiel,

Just make sure and do some form of body weight training 2-3 times per week if possible. To be honest, you will be fine for 2 weeks…but if you do want to train, then do your body weight workout to maintain. Most of all, enjoy that trip to Sweden!

Elliot,

Mark’s Primal Blueprint is awesome. I will do a review at some point with my opinions regarding the various topics he covers in the book.

Palidor,

It never pays to get obsessed with being fit. I’ve been there and it was a waste of time. Just take a slower approach and zig-zag your way to getting in great shape. Take your time and slowly improve month to month…you are going to do this for a lifetime, so no big rush…like you said, you are already in good shape to begin with.

Adam,

Yep…staying busy is the best way to insure that you aren’t tempted by food. The cool thing is that when you are fasting you don’t feel sleepy. Often people get tired in the mid morning or early afternoon do to eating. This doesn’t happen while fasting.

mickieb,

I would recommend 1 day per week at first, but make sure that the one meal is a low-cal meal. Once you get used to this add in one more day per week. It works very well done this way.

Greg,

The Warrior Diet works for a lot of people, but ESE really does seem like a healthier approach. I think following a moderate version of the Warrior Diet where fruits and vegetables were consumed during the day and a light meal at night would be fine, but for people with a capacity to eat a lot…it is tough on the system.

Maria,

Glad you enjoy the pics 🙂 The wussiest pics in fitness website history!

Brandon,

Great advice for Baz and Michiel.

Rodney,

I don’ think it matters too much as far as your timing your fasts with workouts. I actually like doing some sort of fat loss workout like HIIT or circuits towards the end of a fast, because I like doing these type of workouts without food in my system. This isn’t necessary, but it does work well.

Warren,

Good decision on not ending your fasts with a Happy Hour. I made the same mistake in the past. You will do better to eat a bit through the day before your Happy Hour on friday, so you will crave less of that high-calorie food. Use your fasting days as stricter days to create that calorie deficit. This is what I have learned from being on Eat Stop Eat for over a year now.

TonyKim,

I never thought I would have a picture of fluffy kittens on my blog…glad you enjoyed them. After 230+ posts, I have to mix it up a bit to keep it entertaining.

Jess,

The fasts do get easier over time. I have the same experience as you…once I hit 18 hours of fasting, I feel like I could go forever. Also, after a few weeks this becomes easy and feels natural. As far as Lyle McDonald’s Rapid Fat Loss Handbook goes…it is the fastest way to burn body fat that I have ever experienced. It is also the hardest to follow, most aggressive diet I have ever seen outlined. This is meant to be just a 2 week crash diet. The subtitle says it all “A Scientific Approach to Crash Dieting”. I have done it 2-3 times over the past few years…a tough 2 weeks to get through, but outstanding results. I didn’t have a problem maintaining that fat loss.

DR,

You want to hit at least the 20 hour mark if possible. The biggest increase in fat burning happens between the 18-24 hour mark. The fat burning that occurs during this 6 hour period is impressive.

cb,

I think it is best to have a full understanding by reading the course, but if you absolutely cannot afford it…watch all of Brad’s videos on Youtube.

Ramon,

Thanks…not sure how people would react to fluffy kittens. Just trying to keep you on your toes.

Grok,

Sounds like you are closer to an Eat Stop Eat style of fasting.

Anna,

I too think it is the easiest way to get lean, especially if people eat well on their non-fasting days. The biggest mistake people make is use these fasting days as an excuse to eat ‘junky’ on all of their non-fasting days. While people shouldn’t be obsessed, it pays to eat healthy whole foods the majority of the time.

Rafi,

Thanks for stumbling this post. I always appreciate any type of referrals to reach more readers! I never get dizzy or feel weak when fasting. I think it does happen to some people at first.

Helder,

I have never been able to get really lean off of eating big meals on a regular basis. Every now and then it is fine, but more than 3-4 per week is enough to notice a difference.

Josh,

Great explanation and testimonial of how well ESE worked for you. I plan on following ESE forever as well…it just seems like such an easy way to reduce calorie intake each week…while boosting HGH, burning more fat than normal on those days, etc.

Eddie,

I will look into that. Sounds interesting.

Dave,

I so a loose version of the Primal Blueprint with ESE…seems to work well without feeling deprived.

Jordan August 1, 2009 at 8:58 pm

I’m really getting into your website, its just great stuff. For the past month ive been eating about 1000 calorie a day diet and am down about 25 pounds, without exercise. I’ve hit a plateau, mainly I think because of the exercise (but won’t be starting heavy until mid august once I move into my new apartment for college), but as of now I play tennis for about an hour each day, use a Billy Blanks workout video which kicks my ass each time because I am always increasing my intensity, and have incorporated some planks into my workout). I’ve started the eat stop eat because it seems very solid and intriguing and I think it will help me with my plateau. My question is, would you say 1000 calories a day is unhealthy? I feel normal, eating sooooo much healthier than I ever have, get full at all of my meals, just want to amke sure I’m not damaging my body. Also the fasting days are incredible, I feel great and not hungry like I thought I would, especially when I eat I always think about eating and what to eat next, plus I do have loads of energy. Thanks Rusty you’re the man!

Jedi (France) August 2, 2009 at 3:59 am

Jordan 1000 cals a day isn’t unhealthy if you are 5′ and weigh 110 pounds 🙂 you may want to add a few more details eg height/wt/BF% for any reasonable answers to your query 😉

ThickFaceGuy August 2, 2009 at 12:05 pm

When i took a glance at the adonis effect, i saw that is some high rep 6-25 exercise, isin’t that against your philosophy ??? oops, and did you see the musclehack program, is it any good??

Jordan August 2, 2009 at 10:09 pm

sry good call. 6’0″, started off at 230 in late July, now down to 204ish for the past (hit a plateau as I said before) my scale reads 20% bf, started at about 30% bf, like long walk on the beach haha just kidding. I just turned 20 in late June, starting my second year of college, highly anticipating the gym in the apartment I’m going to be moving into, besides getting away from Boston and getting into the beautiful sunshine state! 😀

AmethystJean August 3, 2009 at 12:51 am

Hi Rusty, I’m glad I found your site! I really would like to try out this type of diet. I have been stuck in a bit of a junky eating rut and I know if I can “get it out of my system” I won’t crave it. Same goes for night time snacking.

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but I just had my body fat measured (electric resistence) after 3 months of working out and it has gone up. My body weight is the same and some of my measurements are smaller (about a half inch off my waist, chest), though my thigh circumfrence seems to be increased. I felt I was getting a better figure and now I’m quite confused! I’m 5’4″ 123lbs 26%BF and do yoga, bootcamp, and core strength classes and walk or run on the treadmill followed by free weights or machines. I know progress is going to be slow but I just can’t see why it would be worse!

sangita August 3, 2009 at 2:04 am

Very informative! I too dont like eating big meals at bed times so ESE works for me. I started doing it, found it quite easy but have’nt done it for the last couple of weeks. Low on motivation I guess. Now after your post (and Norbi’s comments) I am going to start again tommorrow. This is a good place to come to, for some motivation!
So pictures of differant types of cool cats with your post this time!

Denmark August 3, 2009 at 4:48 am

Great Post Rusty..

I started ESE a couple of weeks ago, and the first few times I found myself eating alot worse on my fasting days compared to normal eating days…

It was like I had an excuse to eat crap around dinner time, because I kept thinking to myself that it was okay since I hadn’t eaten all day…

At least I know I’m not the only one 😀

Jim August 3, 2009 at 8:01 pm

If you were overweight (about 50-60lbs) would you do the warrior diet or ESE? It seems a lot of people have lost a lot of weight with the Warrior Diet. Let me know what you think. Also, would appreciate other opinions as well…

thx

Auzzie Dave August 4, 2009 at 3:25 am

What would you recommend to a 20 year old who is struggling to lose that last bit of weight to show a six pack. Right now I would say that I would be around 12% body fat and have a vague 4 pack. Doesn’t even seem like I have 6 abs the way it looks. There is just some fat covering the bottom abs (a bulge). Would you recommend some combination of ESE and HIIT? If so, how frequently?

Also, I have noticed that some people have much larger abs than others such as myself. Is this a genetic thing that cannot be changed, or is this through training they have developed abs like this. I currently only employ variations of the plank for ab work.

Look forward to your advice.
Cheers.

Denmark August 4, 2009 at 8:39 am

I got a quick question regarding the Warrior diet –

Your suppoesed to under eat during the day…

What is under eating?
A: an apple and a bananna
B: a couple pieces of fruit for breakfast and a SMALL salad for lunch

Thanks.

admin August 4, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Jordan,

I wouldn’t do 1,000 calories per day for more than 10-14 days. I think you can do aggressive diets and workout programs for short bursts…like 2 weeks max. If you weigh 100-110 pounds you could do 1,000 calories per day for a while, but if you weigh much more than this it will mess you up. If you are doing Eat Stop Eat…stick to maintenance calories or “slightly” below 5 days per week and then feel free to do 800-1,000 calorie days 2 times per week. You can eat like this on an ongoing basis.

Jedi,

Good point. Hopefully Jordan will tell us.

ThickFaceGuy,

I am recommending the Adonis Effect for guys who want to build muscle. Higher reps and a higher volume of lifting are a great way to build muscle mass. Once someone gets enough muscle, I recommend that they follow my philosophy of gaining strength without adding any more size to increase muscle definition. My site is geared toward guys as well as women who don’t want to add any more muscle but want to increase definition. I wanted to have a decent resource for those people who read my site, but quickly want to add some muscle (even though I’m guessing a majority of the readers here don’t want that).

Jordan,

If you are 230 pounds then you are going to need more calories. Since you have a decent amount of fat to lose you can get away with a bit more aggressive of a diet, but don’t overdue it. Stick with 1,600-2,000 calories per day with 2 Eat Stop Eat style fasting days where you hit 800 calories. This will work much better for you, with less sticking points.

AmethystJean,

It shouldn’t be worse. It sounds like you are extremely active…so I would take a much closer look at your diet.

sangita,

Glad you liked the pictures. Hopefully you will get back to Eat Stop Eat…it is such an easy way to create a calorie deficit.

Denmark,

I used to eat really poorly when I first did one meal per day. If you make your fasting day the strict day, it makes all the difference.

Jim,

I would do Eat Stop Eat. The reason being is that I find it easier to create a strong calorie deficit following ESE. Those two fasting days can be aggressive low calorie days. You wouldn’t be able to go low calorie every day otherwise your body will adapt to a certain extent. It is the contrast in eating that makes ESE better in my opinion.

Auzzie Dave,

Everybody has this exact same 4 pack as they are dieting down to reveal a six pack. What I have noticed is that when you are younger and a little newer to training, you have to get pretty low in body fat to reveal the full six pack. As you train and build ab density, you will see the full six pack even if you are carrying a little more fat. As far as ab shape goes, it is genetic.

Denmark,

Under eating is eating just a little bit, but not satisfying your hunger all the way. Just a few pieces of fruit, or nothing at all.

Jordan August 4, 2009 at 7:28 pm

as of this morning I am 201.8 pounds, so a total loss of 28.2 pounds.

pjnoir August 5, 2009 at 10:05 pm

The Warrior Diet, if you bought the book, is ALL about Clean food, NEVER Junk Food- that was YOUR mistake , not Ori’s.

Studio Element Personal Training August 6, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Of course balance is quite of a key component to healthy weight loss/management. Depending upon the person, it may be appropriate to reduce carbs for some but fat for others. This is why it is so important to meet with a Registered Dietician.

Avery Smith August 11, 2009 at 10:37 am

I’ve been a Warrior fan for years. Warrior is relatively easy for the first few months. After this it becomes very hard to maintain. It takes a lot of determination. I find myself on and off again with Warrior.
For sure I will be trying the Eat Stop Eat method.
Thanks for the info.
FYI – long workouts on an empty stomach (lots of water) works very well.

Rez August 13, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Why is the WD hard to maintain after a few months? I have been on it for a month and have found it easier each day. Weekends are a little harder but not much.

Rahim August 13, 2009 at 9:05 pm

I tried something like the warrior diet when I was a senior in high school and I ended up losing 20 pounds in a few months. Now if you add the stress of SAT’s and picking a college to go to, that might have aided in the weight loss but never the less it worked.

pjnoir August 15, 2009 at 8:25 pm

“This is why it is so important to meet with a Registered Dietician.” This is so off the mark. A registered dietician would not even read the book on IF let alone give advice. They are all about staus quo- the American Food Pyramid. Lots of luck.

I laugh at the remarks about the WD diet making you eat too much – come on people, wake up.

Ginny August 19, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Great post! I keep meaning to buy the ESE ebook because it really intrigues me, especially as an alternative to calorie counting every day. :\
I do have one question that I’d love your suggestion on, though. I really don’t enjoy “gym time” so as an alternative, I’m picking back up something I did in highschool–ballet class. I’m taking it twice a week for and hour and a half on Mondays and Thursdays. Would it benefit me more to fast on the days I’m taking these classes or on the non-dance days? On non dance days I still try to fit in something–tennis or swimming, even going for a short jog and usually end up doing some type of activity for 30 min-1 hour 5 days out of 7. It’s the days that I go to class that really kick my butt, though. And it’s the two days that never change.
Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Nove August 22, 2009 at 9:46 am

i’ve followed warrior diet 4 months ago.Before i read Brad Pilon’s book of course 🙂
i changed my diet from WD to eat stop eat 1 month ago.
Warrior DIet is a good ,maybe we can say very great diet, i get my sixpack abs with this diet.
But eat stop eat is very flexible, just do fast twice a week, so simple.
Beside that, i can enjoy my foods, of course i can enjoy “cheating” foods LOL.

i didn’t say eat stop eat is better, i said eat stop eat is more flexible to follow.

WD is one of very good diet if you can follow it well

owen September 7, 2009 at 7:42 am

I’ve found leangains.com as a comfortable in-between solution. I find it easy to follow compared to the WD & ESE.

I enjoy your site.

Thank you.

jarrod October 22, 2009 at 9:00 pm

hey just wondering when doing the fasting are you meant to have a protein shake in the morning or strictly nothing at all, any info would b great thanks!

jonathan November 10, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Is it possible to obtain a six pack with the warrior diet?

Latt November 12, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I just discovered your site about 3 weeks ago and I found it very motivating and informative especially with the HIIT and body weight circuits. I found a recently published article on intermittent fasting. Could you possibly email me your address so that I can send you the pdf file? I just want to know your view on this.

Thanks.

John December 6, 2009 at 12:32 am

Is it okay to do ESE if you are 17 years old?

charlie December 18, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Interesting post,

Baz, you said you will not have access to a gym while you are away. Bone up on your bodyweight exercises. I know its not the same as your training at the gym but there are some great push up variations out there, not to mention plain old strict form one arm push ups. Exercises like the ATG one legged squat(pistol), bootstrappers are simple leg exercises that require no equipment but work great. You may want to include some bodyweight power exercises, plyo-pushups(various forms), plyometric leg exercises: jump squats, depth jump, eccentric squats dropping from a height. You just need to make it work. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Hilary December 19, 2009 at 2:41 am

Hey Rusty
I’ve read a LOT about the one-meal-a-day diet (caveman diet) and was fascinated with it, and really wanted to try it. However, your newer info on eat stop eat and intermittent fasting have made me curious… do you think eating a small 200cal breakfast of mostly protein, fruit during the day if hungry, and dinner every day being my main meal (like the caveman diet) would be a good idea to do and incorporate 2days of intermittent fasting as done with ESE? or would that be not so healthy? would it be beneficial for weight loss/fat loss? Thanks!

Karsten88 January 1, 2010 at 7:00 pm

I have read the Eat Stop Eat. But there is one basic thing Im not sure of.
I get that you fast 2 times a week, but if you want to lose weight, should all of your calorie deficit for a week come from those 2 days?

Lets say i require 2800 kcal each day to maintain weight. So on eating days im supposed to eat 2800 calories, right?
I wanna aim for a 2 pounds fatloss each week. This means i have to get 7000 calories less weekly. And those calories needs to be cut away from my fasting days.
With fasting 2 times per week this can’t be done. If i dont eat anything at all on fasting days the calorie deficit will only be 5600 calories.

Please help me. Am i getting it wrong?
Are you supposed to make just a tiny deficit on normal days, and then a much larger deficit while fasting?

Karsten88 January 1, 2010 at 7:03 pm

One more thing C:

Can you begin with Eat Stop Eat right away without any problems?

Patrick January 4, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I have keep reading the Eat Stop Eat article. It is pretty interesting that we tend to follow up on 3 meals per day. But I’m trying to aim for 5 meals a day (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner – 3 hour intervals). I want to add the Eat Stop Eat approach for weight loss until I hit a certain fat percentage as I’m 5’7 and 155 lbs.
When I fast for one day, should I always be hydrated to avoid any negative changes in my body.

Patrick.

Dan January 23, 2010 at 9:29 am

Both diets are good . But Ori the guy who made the warrior diet does actually encourage days where you will fast or under eat for whole days and also over eat for entire days. This apparently shocks the body into more growth and fat loss. But yes on a general rule the warrior diet is fast/under eat and detox for the day followed by one big meal at night. But the flexibility of being able to pig out for one day or have a whole day fast is pretty good . Ill usualy have a treat day where i will eat what i want when i want all day . But then the following day i may have a total fast where i will only consume spinach and water and maybe a cupple of pieces of fruit and completely miss my main meal at night if im not hungry, then resume the standard warrior diet method .

Nepenthe February 6, 2010 at 3:12 pm

My challenge is to find a happy medium following diets like Eat Stop Eat. I did the Alternate Day Diet and found that although weight loss happened, some binge eating tendencies also surfaced. I would agree that people that have a bent towards eating disorders do need to be careful with this way of eating.

PS. There’s nothing more attractive than a man who is brave enough to post kittens on his blog. 🙂

Katie February 11, 2010 at 1:58 am

Still wavering to see which diet to try: Warrior vs Eat stop Eat.

I want to see result a little faster, to keep myself motivate.
Read between the lines, WD seems to win.

I am about 15-20lb overweight (currently 145lb, 5’5″, 36 y/o female).

Thanks.

Katie February 11, 2010 at 10:50 am

Need an honest answer.

I really think I can do fasting for just 20-23 hours (because I live with non fasting family members). Would that affect the result with Eat Stop Eat lifestyle?

Thanks.

zebie March 18, 2010 at 3:21 am

Hey there, I know the feeling..I moved to France last fall and left all my MMA buddies, my gym and triathlon group as well 🙁 But do a little research and I think you’ll be amazed at the results you can achieve with body weight work outs!…No joke, the transformation is amazing, intense and FUN. It’s like being a kid all over again…only with a lot more sweat 🙂 Try bodyrock.tv or DragonsDoor.com for great exercises that are easy to do anywhere. Good luck!

Pam March 23, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Hi there,

I have read most of the comments but not all. Does anyone know if I can drink coffee with milk or cream during the 24 hour fast? So if my fast starts tonight at 7pm, can I have that one cup tomorrow morning and then nothing until 7pm tomorrow night? I have a few 24 hour fasts under my belt (not consecutively) but they were all when I was at home, and not at work. I like that cuppa joe (with the white stuff, milk or cream) to start of my morning. Thanks!

max April 1, 2010 at 4:16 pm

The “Athletic Physique” workout is better than the “Adonis Affect.” I am not sold on the high rep scheme. I do, however, believe that volume is very important. And the core aspect of resistance training should be compound and complex movements—not isolation. This includes wieght training and bodyweight exercises. Some isolation can be added after a good foundation has been built. Of course, if the goal is to achieve a body builders physique, then, you may want consider more isolation exercises. Unfortunately, only a small percentage of the population has the genetic potential to build such a physique. An athletic physique is more practical an asthetically appealling.

Conor April 1, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Hey rusty, i have been following your site for a few months now, i find it top quality. Completely different stuff to what iv read before, and it really is inspiring. Stumbled across it when trying to find out best ways to achieve the Cam Gigandet look in Never Back Down, and haven’t looked back.

I have started following the Eat Stop Eat approach explained in your Vacation Body Blueprint, but i’m only 17 (nearly 18), i haven’t really grown height wise for 3 years, which i’m cool with because i’m 6’1, but i don’t know if following the calorie deficit type diet will affect my growth in the long run, or my body shape/strength, bones etc.

Just hoping you could clear up for me whether this diet is healthy for me, if not then can u recommend one? My body fat it around 13.5% and i put on weight a lot easier than i did a few years ago. But i’m hoping to aim for around 8%.

Thanks, and keep up the brilliant blogs!

Mike April 15, 2010 at 9:44 pm

loving this site. one quick question – since starting on ESE i’ve lost weight but my bowel movements have become much less frequent than normal even though i’m eating more fruits and vegetables. is this normal? a bad thing?

the big sophicles April 20, 2010 at 8:12 pm

i actually was on the Warrior Diet before i knew what it was and before i knew the Nation of Islam used this diet as well….one day i just made the decision to only eat one normal sized meal a day…just out the blue i decided to make the decision and 2 weeks later i noticed that i was much leaner, no man boobs (yay!!), more energy, clearer skin, more alert and just a better quality of life…i definitely recommend this but the only thing i have a problem with is him saying eat as much as you want in the evening…i dont agree with this…i think this method would be way better with just a normal sized meal in the evening…splurging in the evening isnt healthy to me and will only upset the stomach…what would make this the ultimate method is if you do a workout regimen along with it…i only did the 5 Tibetans once a day w/ Uddiyana Bandha and noticed weight loss within only 2 weeks…this is how i did it and doing it this way worked for me

tardyon April 29, 2010 at 4:04 pm

A few years ago when I was dancing a lot, I dropped 55 lb to a weight of about 220. (I am 6’2” and 280 now). (I dropped this weight in about 15 months.)
Other than the large amount of dancing, looking back at how I was eating I noticed that I ate once a day, usually after the dance in the evening.
I ate whatever I wanted (Denny’s usually) and perhaps I ate a few snacks for energy through the day.
When I was younger I also ate only once a day, and I was really lean at 165.

Now I am starting dance again, and am following fast-5, and eating once a day. When I tried ESE last year I found I would gorge on my non fast days. I lost a little weight, but not regularly. I plan on reaching 200 lb in the next couple of years. (Nice and easy loss rate).

For the last 3.5 weeks I have done fast-5, and have been losing about 1 lb a week, and have reached the stage where I am not pigging out on my evening meals. This once a day feeding period (7:00 pm to Midnight) seems to be very easy for me to follow since it is how I regularly ate during my “lean” years.

So, not so much a question, but a query on your opinion:

I would like to mix the ESE with fast-5 / warrior and once or twice a week eat my evening meal at half my daily allotment of calories (about 1200 for that meal).

I would like to do this in order to lose weight a little more rapidly, but mainly because twice a week I dance, and the period when I dance is right in my 5 hour eating window, and if I eat too much my stomach feels crappy when I dance. I hope that eating a lighter meal will alleviate this bloated feeling, and give me another 2400 kcal a week of caloric deficit.

Have you heard of others doing this? What are your thoughts?

Mike

Luca May 6, 2010 at 7:01 pm

this could indeed work but junk food dont contain much vitamins, wich give u a higher metabolism. so if u eat normal food it would work faster.

danny May 27, 2010 at 7:27 pm

hello rusty im 17 years old and i love to workout and i love to eat.so i have a question about these two diet plans. first of all i do the warrior diet and i love it, in fact i like it better than eating 3 or 6 meals a day. i love being able to stuff my face with 1300-1500 calories a day in one meal and i dont mind the fact that i dont eat anything else at all(im about 10% bf and 1700 BMR) and im always very satisfied by the time i eat so many calories. so what about following the warrior diet and 2 days out of the week instead of stuffing my face for a meal you could just eat a regular sized meal? it would essentially be the eatstopeat lifestyle but on the nonfasting days you would be on the warrior diet. right?

Daniel July 19, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I have read the Warrior Diet and I have read Eat Stop Eat. My preference goes to eat stop eat, but to be honest I have also been using the fasting days to eat a large meal at night, just like in the warrior diet. Your post here really clears up that this is not what “Eat Stop Eat” is supposed to be. So next time, I will pay more attention not to overreat after breaking the fast. Maybe I’ll start with some light food, like a salad or some vegetable juice to get my digestive fire flowing.

Daniel July 19, 2010 at 1:30 pm

…I meant digestive juices flowing.

James @ The Golf Swing Fix July 26, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I have using the Warrior Diet for the past few month now. It has been very easy to follow. However, I am concerned about about the fasting aspect. I am wondering if my metabolism will slow down any.

Also, I think I will read up on this Eat Stop Eat book to see if I want to make any changes.

Ron C November 7, 2010 at 11:33 pm

This is the first time I read about the warrior diet and SES and I have to admit my eating habit is the other way around. I start with a massive meal around 11am and almost immediately wind down from there. If I’m hungry at night it’s usually raw soup, nuts or chocolates. Most days I eat only 2 meals, some just the big one in the day time.

Seane November 30, 2010 at 5:01 am

Frank December 12, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Is it essential to buy the eat stop eat book? Or is it as simple as fasting 1-2 times a week?

Dave - Not Your Average Fitness Tips December 13, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I think both Eat Stop Eat and the Warrior Diet each have their benefits. Eat Stop Eat is the approach I follow on a regular basis, but I find by doing daily fasting in the Warrior Diet style, I can get really lean. However, if I perform the Warrior Diet too long, I start to binge eat at night. I’ve heard that 15-18 hour fasts like the Warrior Diet advocates are more effective at burning stubborn belly fat though.

Frank - Training December 28, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Based on what I’ve read and the comments I think I will go with Eat-Stop-Eat. Like Dave said being on the warrior diet too long I think will cause me to binge.

freedomiq January 10, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I would just adjust my portions so that i eat less and exercise light everyday

Amit January 29, 2011 at 5:45 am

have been going through all the earlier posts, (actually skipped a lot as there are many)!!!

I am following the ESE diet for past 6 weeks and is paying me off well too. I am also heavily into jumprope. I have combined my normal weight training with jumprope.

I wanted to know as to how can i get swimming to work as resistance training which i intend to do ~3 times a week to maintain muscle mass.
(i wud not be gyming when swimming…that would be to much to ask!!!)

Thanks Rusty!!
Amit

Sam Vuokra February 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm

If you can’t control the amount of food and especially carbs you eat in every meal then you should try to cut the portions down to this method. For me it has been the best way to eat small portions every few hours and only two big portions per day. Lunch and dinner are bigger and all the remaining three smaller meals are all I eat and have been losing pounds in the healthy way. But you gotta do what works for you and if this warrior is your way then you should at least try it for few weeks and see it yourself.

Lou February 7, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I found this article while researching WD, but ESE is interesting too. Both approaches are great for those of us who find it too impractical to maintain a six-small-meals diet during our workday. I think I’ll go with ESE, simply because it’s the more practical. I don’t want to alienate my coworkers by nibbling on a carrot stick during an office lunch because it isn’t time for my big meal.

Either way, I’m relieved to be done with my few days of six-small-meals. Constantly refilling my stomach hasn’t agreed with me at all.

Jessie Saying It March 2, 2011 at 11:26 am

“I like to eat mainly a paleo diet when possible…things like stir fry, salads” As if they stir fried in Paleolithic times. You’re still indulging your meat/fat addiction. Read this … And if you really want to burn, monomeal on a particular starch for a while (with veggies of course). Fat will literally drip off you.

No need to buy the supplements.

Jessie Saying It March 2, 2011 at 11:27 am

I should a pointed out they refer to minifast w exercise as it relates to this blog ….

towel March 9, 2011 at 1:42 am

one thing: is it possible that you give us a short update of your personal workout, cardio and eating developments? if there any changes. it is very interessting to hear about that..for example if you are on a warrior diet etc.
perhaps you can do this in your posts instead of the comment section. i think the articles are sometimes a bit too theoretical..you could mix it more up with some personal stuff to replace answering comments.

ged practice test March 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm

As usual this is a popular topic. Although I did not do eat stop eat diet. I did cut my meals down to one per day and I did loose a substantial amount of weight. The reason for me, was that I did little exercise as my work life is generally at the computer. I now try and combine some exercise and permit my self another small meal and sometimes a snack in between.it is good to control some fat so try to burn out the fat into your body to avoid fatness.do it regularly the result don,t come dramatically you have to try constantly .before start consult with your doctor he might have well plan for you so i hope you should now start take care of yourself.thanks for sharing such a valid information keep it up

Kreikka May 3, 2011 at 10:43 am

Mediterranian style diet is the best diet in the world. You get to eat good and tasty food that is not too diet like and you get healthier too at the same time. Just excersize enough to burn those extra calories you get from mediterranian food because it’s so good tasting.