Important Message: Although this site has received 25+ million visitors, I am starting from scratch and abandoning it.
It’s like a Ford Pinto compared to my new site, Visual Impact Fitness…which is like a Ferrari.
Click the link to head over to my new site:
Go to My New Site and Read More About Why I Made This Decision
Thanks for reading all these years!
Six Pack Abs
- What is The Best Abdominal Exercise to Get Six Pack Abs?
- Great Six Pack Ab Video Shows How Get Extremely Toned Abs
- Bruce Lee’s “Secret” Six Pack Ab Exercise
- A Six Pack Ab and Muscle Tone Tip That is Never Discussed
- Core Exercises and Core Muscles- When Did the Obsession Begin?
- Six Pack Abs – Without Turning Into a Hunchback
- Tighten Your Obliques Without Adding Size With These Isometric Exercises
- Ab Circle Pro or Body by Jake? A $10 Alternative That is More Effective!
- “Ah Young Grasshopper…When You Can Take the Pebble From My Hand…You Will Have Six Pack Abs!”
Fat Burning Cardio
- An Aerobic Workout Program That Forces Your Body to Burn Fat
- A Jump Rope Workout That Burns Belly Fat
- The “Tabata Protocol”…An Effective 13 Minute Fat Burning Workout
- Balancing Steady State Aerobics With Interval Training
- Perceived Effort is the Secret to Avoiding Fat Burning Plateaus
- Fasted Workouts and Fasted Cardio vs EPOC – For Fat Loss
- Primary Cardio Machines -vs- Secondary Cardio Machines
- Adjusting Cardio Intensity to Match Your Diet
- Workout Intensity and Fat Loss – Hitting the Sweet Spot
- “Cardio Compensation” – Certain Cardio Workouts Cause Intense Food Cravings
- Interval Training Improves Your Endurance, Better Than Endurance Exercise!
- Why Walking is Necessary for Good Health – Even If You Are Extremely Fit and Lean
- Increase Natural HGH Without Injections, Sprays, or Pills
- Are You In Good Shape or Do You Just Have a High Pain Tolerance?
- Brief Exercise Found to Be Much More Effective for “Fit” People
Resistance Interval Training
- A Circuit Training Routine That Actually Makes Sense!
- Body Weight Circuits Are Kickin’ My Butt!
- Creative Circuit Training – Experimenting With Fat Loss Workouts
- How Interval Training Works – Lactic Acid, Oxygen Debt, and Recovery
- Hindu Squats. An Effective Body Weight Exercise for Fat Loss and Mobility
- My Muscle Building Course – Finally Ready to Be Released to the Public
- Best Chest Exercises to Build Masculine Square Pecs
- Strategic Way to Combine Machine Exercises With Free Weights
- How to Quickly Gain the Ideal Amount of Muscle Mass for Your Body Type
- Gaining Muscle Doesn’t Increase the Metabolic Rate a Significant Amount
- Your Weak Muscle Group vs Their Strong Muscle Group
- A “Sensible” Way to Build Muscle Mass
- How to Lose Muscle Mass on Purpose?
- The Top Exercises for Each Body Part? Impossible to Say!
- Standing Barbell Military Press – Not Just a “Shoulder” Exercise
- “Protein Guilt” – When You Wish The Meal Had More Protein.
- Build Muscle Mass With Body Weight Exercises
- Nutrition Plays A Small Role in Building Muscle Mass – Controversial Video
- Bar-Barians – Ninja Masters of the Pull Up Bar!
- A Big Mistake When it Comes to Gaining Muscle Mass
- How to Gain Muscle and Lose Fat at the Same Time?
- Is There a Vet Around Here? (Flexes Biceps) Because These Pythons Are Sick!
- Resistance Bands – Can Work Chest and Shoulders Better Than Free Weights?
- My Muscle Building Course – Finally Ready to Be Released to the Public
- Are Push Ups Necessary if You Have Access to Free Weights?
- Does Rep Count Even Matter? Controversial Findings of a Recent Study!
- The One Arm Military Press – “Old School” but Effective
- How to Get Stronger Than Ever While Burning Body Fat
- Sets and Reps – Long or Short Rest Periods?
- Explosive Pushups to Increase Your Bench Pressing Power and Pectoral Definition
- Gain Strength Without Fail By “Mastering the Weight”
- Pyramid Sets Are Bad for Strength Gains
- The Strength Training Rep Dissected and Explained
- Weak Grip Strength = Weak Body
- Muscle Confusion: A Quitter’s Approach to Lifting
- Gaining Strength Through Periodization – Train Like a Soviet Athlete!
- Avoid the Typical Bodybuilding Workout Split. What to Do Instead!
- Hanging Power Cleans – A Great Exercise for Strength and Definition
- Use Partial Reps to Shock Definition and Strength Into Lagging Muscles
- Drop Isolation Exercises to Get Through Sticking Points
- 7 Common Strength Training Mistakes. Is Your Workout Making You Weak?
- How to Get Stronger at Push-ups and Pull-ups Using a Soviet Special Forces Technique
- Make Body Weight Exercises Challenging Without Doing High Reps
- How to Do One Arm Push Ups for 20 Reps
- How “Thick Bar Training” Will Greatly Improve Upper Body Strength
- Explosive Strength Training – Applying More Force to the Weights Being Lifted
Increase Muscle Definition
- Muscle Tone VS Muscle Mass Workout Routines
- How “Getting Older” Actually Improves Muscle Tone
- Body Fat Percentage…No Need to Be Obsessed Over a Number!
- Muscle Tone Philosophies of Former “Soviet Special Forces” Instructor
- Why “Time Under Tension” Is Important When It Comes To Muscle Tone
- Lift Light Weights for Low Reps to Gain Strength and Muscle Definition
- 5 Tips to Help You Look Obscenely Hot In A Swimsuit This Summer!
- 6 Reasons You Should Avoid Training for “The Pump”
- Why You May Look a Bit Fatter When First Losing Body Fat
- Strength Training + Low Calorie Diet + Interval Training = Sexy Body
- Muscle Maturity – Looking Better As You Age
- Post Workout Shakes? Not If Fat Loss is Your Goal!
- Human Growth Hormone (HGH) – Breaking Down a Few Scientific Studies
- Tips to Fix “Skinny Fat” Syndrome
- Muscle Tone – A Controversial Term Examined
- The “Brief Workout” Trend – Are You Exercising Enough to Hit Your Goals?
- Summer Workout Tips to Maximize Your Time in the Sun
- How Rep Tempo Can Affect Fat Loss
- Stubborn Body Fat Caused by Excess Estrogen
- Gone in 60 Seconds: One Minute of Activity to Avoid Storing Calories of a Meal as Body Fat
- Legendary Surfer Laird Hamilton’s Workout Routine
- Will Smith Slims Down For New Role in the Movie “I Am Legend”.
- Is Tony Jaa the Next Bruce Lee?
- What Hollywood’s Sexiest Actors Can Teach You About Being Attractive to Women
- Duane Johnson, AKA The Rock, Looks Better Slim Instead of Bulky
- Trent Reznor of NIN Gained a Ton of Muscle. Did He Ruin His Look?
- Robert Downey Jr. is Looking Better Than Ever as Tony Stark
- Roman Sebrle, and Other Dominant Athletes in Track and Field
- Cam Gigandet’s “Never Back Down” Workout Aproach
- Tarzan VS Conan – A Competition of the Ages!
- Yvonne Craig (Batgirl and Green Lady from Star Trek) – Looks Better than Present Day Female Fitness Models
- Ryan Kwanten’s Workout – Jason Stackhouse from “True Blood”
- Taylor Lautner – Finally a Fitness Role Model for “Generation Y”
- Men’s Suits – 10 Crucial Buying Tips to Look Stylin’ Like James Bond
- Leonardo DiCaprio’s Personal Trainer for “The Beach” – Cornel Chin
- Madonna’s Gym, “Hard Candy Fitness”, Coming to a City Near You?
- An Interview With Tyler Shields – A Modest Celebrity Photographer Who Oozes Talent
- Skipping Meals Will NOT Slow Your Metabolism and Cause Weight Gain!
- Another Study “Questioning the Logic” of the 6 Meal Per Day Diet Plan
- Fat Loss Momentum…The Secret to Rapid Fat Loss
- Is Diet OR Exercise More Important for Fat Loss and Getting Lean?
- Incredible Fruit Facts: Why Fruit Should Be A MUCH Larger Part of Your Diet!
- Low Calorie Diets. How Low Calorie Can You Go, Without Losing Muscle?
- Another Study “Shoots Down” The Idea of Eating 6 Small Meals Per Day
- How to Retrain Your Taste Buds to Enjoy Healthy Food
- Snacking Takes More Discipline Than Fasting
- Strategic Eating to Get the Most Out of Your Upcoming Workout
- How Caffeine Affects Fat Loss, Exercise Performance, and Health
- High Insulin Levels Stop Fat Loss and Cause Weight Gain
- Embrace Hunger and Hunger Pains While Dieting
- Insulin and Fat Loss. A Simple Explanation.
- People Are Quick to Criticize Low Calorie Diets
- Maintain Muscle Mass On 800 Calories Per Day?
- How Much Water Per Day? Exaggerated by the Media!
- Southeast Asian Food – Does a Body Good!
- The Paleo and Primal Diet. Eating Like a Caveman?
- Constructing an Effective Diet Plan to Get Lean Before Summer
- Is It Okay to Eat Right Before Going to Bed? “Yes” and “No”
- “Mindless Eating” – Why Do We Continue to Eat When We Are Full?
- Low Carbohydrate Diet or Low Fat Diet? It Depends…
- Eat Stop Eat vs The Warrior Diet
- Reduce Calories and Reduce Unnecessary Time Spent Working Out
- “Why Exercise Won’t Make You Thin” – Analyzing This Time Magazine Article
- An Aggressive Dieting Approach to Use After a Period of High Calorie Eating
- Are All Diets, High Fat Diets?
- Wheat Allergies – Blood Shot Eyes, Runny Nose, and Only Gluten Free Beer? Say it Isn’t So!
- Carb Strategies That I Have Found to Work Well for Staying Lean
- Conquering Low Back Pain While Getting Fit…Part I
- Conquering Low Back Pain While Getting Fit…Part II
- Conquering Low Back Pain While Getting Fit…Part III
- Hate to Stretch? Don’t Have Time to Stretch? I Have Good News!
- Move Your Body Through Space – “Live Long and Prosper”
- Use the Back Bridge Exercise to Improve Posture and Reduce Back Pain?
- The Body of An Athlete – But the Spine of a Weakling?
- What is the Most Obnoxious Thing You’ve Seen While Working Out?
- Going Bald or Have a Receding Hairline? You Need to Buzz it Off!
- Giving Exercise Machines The Respect They Deserve…A Tribute to Arthur Jones 1926-2007
- “Learn Fitness Tips from YODA, You Will”
- An Amazing Personal Development Blog That Will Help You Reach Your Fitness Goals.
- Losing Body Fat Makes Your Face Much More Attractive and Sexy
- The Ultimate Home Gym Setup. Workout on Your Terms!
- Avoid a “Gym Body”. Aim for an Athletic Body Instead!
- Stop the Weight Gain Before You Become a Yo-Yo Dieter!
- 25 World Class Beaches Worth Getting in Shape For
- Acai Berry, Oprah Winfrey, Dr. Oz, Colon Cleansing, and Fake Blogs! What?
- The 5 Pound Rule – Staying Lean For a Lifetime
- Yo-Yo Weight Loss – The Natural Way to Lose Weight
- Get in Shape for Summer – My Detailed Spring Workout Routine
- I’m Shocked That Bodybuilding is Still Popular
- Personal Training – Good for Brainstorming, But Not Ideal for Long-Term Success
- “Positive Action” Gets Results – Not Positive Thinking
- Why Most Celebrity Workout Routines Are Overrated
- Being a Little Overweight Can Reduce Life Expectancy And Increase Health Risks
- “The Vacation Body Blueprint” – My Free 56 Page Report is Ready for Download!
- Fitness Tips and Observations From My First 40 Years
- Fitness Forums – The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly!
- High Metabolism When Young & Slow Metabolism When Old? Inevitable?
- Intense Exercise at Home – Easy to Give Up When No One is Watching
- Fitness Experts – Who is Right? Who is Wrong? Are you Confused?
- Hippies VS Jocks – Which Group is Healthier?
- Remember Recess and Summers as a Kid? That is When Exercise Was Fun!
- Muscle Recovery – The More Advanced You Get the Trickier It Becomes
- Maintenance Mode – Staying Lean Once You Get There.
- Giants VS Little People – Body Fat, Metabolism, Lean Body Mass, etc.
- Fat Loss Head Games – When Your Mind Makes Fat Loss Near Impossible
- Are Brief Workouts Effective for Fat Loss as You Get Older?
- What the Heck is Inflammation? Why Should You Care?
- The Best Gym Pound for Pound is in Bulgaria?
- A Story of Breast Cancer Survival
- “Visual Impact for Women” – Jazzed to Introduce My New Women’s Course!
- Mark Sisson – Why We Need Meat
- Scott Kustes – The Four Types Of Fat. Sorting Out the Confusion of Dietary Fats
- Craig Ballantyne – 7 Questions and Answers About Turbulence Training
- Brad Pilon – The Evolution of Weight Loss
- JCD Fitness – Improve Your Life by Improving Your Posture
- Adam Steer – Advanced Bodyweight Exercises: No Gym, No Problem!
- Gym Junkies – Motivation Tips for Sticking to Your Workout Routine
- Anna Dornier – Should Women Do the Same Type of Workouts as Men?
- Martin Berkhan – Scorch Through Your Fat Loss Plateau
- 10 Questions With One of the World’s Top Special Forces Trainers
Current Favorite Music Vids
New Order – World
[I pretty much love anything put out by New Order or some old school Joy Division. This is one of my favorites.]
Radiohead – Reckoner
[This song reminds me of my girlfriend. We listened to it on a summer time road trip while driving through the Columbia River Gorge. Perfect song to zone out to.]
The Chain Gang Of 1974 – Undercover
[Current new-wave inspired stuff by a great Indie band. We saw these guys live. Can’t believe they haven’t blown up yet…good stuff! ]
60 thoughts on “Best of Fitness Black Book”
This is my new favorite site, with a ton of great articles and don’t feel like i’m being pressured to buy in on commercial gimmicks.
question: pro’s / con’s of working out either in the morning or night…based on meal schedules for optimal results. I’m having trouble deciding to do physical activity in the morning and not eat till four hours before bed. Or to workout at night and have a decent size meal after i.e. warrior plan
Looking forward to trying this!
This idea is simply best and we must be follow every time of our life.
Hey rusty, I am skinny fat. I just got the ab book but decided to jump in with the mens guide. Will take photos and report back.
Lots of good articles. Better than the ones from bodybuilding websites since they simply are not suitable for the layman. Too advanced and will lead to overtraining easily.
Wow there’s really a ton of good articles in here.
I’m going to tell my buddy about this best-of page, he likes to get his info from bodybuilding magazines such as Muscular Development and such.
You certainly have put together a great source of knowledge! I visit your site on a somewhat daily basis always reading new posts and different blogs. Your workouts have become my go to guides. Of course I tweak a few… but you were right on with everything you posted! Keep it up!
Thanks for this amazing blog rusty. I just wanted to take some time out of my day to thank you.
oh Rusty. I certainly understand what you are saying. You have to have a “life” sometimes. Your site is awesome! Keep up the great posts!
I think body weight exercises are best for gaining powers than weight training and indirectly helps in weight training. So if you can easily do 15 to 20 pullups i think you should also see the effect in your weight training while lifting up the weights. I have started weight training from last six months and before that i was just doing body weight exercises but now i think my power is increase in weight training.
What a terrific collection of links! I’m bookmarking this now to reference in the future for sure.
Just saying this site is amazing! thanks for all the correct info!
really keen to find out matts exact workout and diet was to look like he did in the pic any help would be appreciated
If i eat one meal a day will i lose weight im 17 an weigh 184 5”9 whats the best things is it bad to eat once a day ?
Hey Rusty, I have been doing movement yoga for the past three months what else do you think I could undertake that increases the need for cardio workout. I also do a palates class once per week.
I’m a big fan of your website articles particularly interval cardio in a fasted state it has worked wonders for me.I have a question you may not have heard of before…
I’m a rugby referee and games last 80+minutes where you could run 5-7miles plus all the decisions you have to make!.
Would fasting for such a weekly event be a bad idea ?
Yours in interval training
I have a question, I know women don’t have enough testosterone to bulk up when lifting weights, but I have heard that heavy lifting creates muscle tears which creates muscle growth. Does this mean that I will get bigger arms penney lawyer@sacramento personal injury
wow the sort item published in this web are worth millions.
I’m glad that you put everything together like this! It makes it easier than using the tags!