Important Message: Although this site has received 25+ million visitors, I am starting from scratch and abandoning it.
It’s like a Ford Pinto compared to my new site, Visual Impact Fitness…which is like a Ferrari.
Click the link to head over to my new site:
Go to My New Site and Read More About Why I Made This Decision
Thanks for reading all these years!
Six Pack Abs
- What is The Best Abdominal Exercise to Get Six Pack Abs?
- Great Six Pack Ab Video Shows How Get Extremely Toned Abs
- Bruce Lee’s “Secret” Six Pack Ab Exercise
- A Six Pack Ab and Muscle Tone Tip That is Never Discussed
- Core Exercises and Core Muscles- When Did the Obsession Begin?
- Six Pack Abs – Without Turning Into a Hunchback
- Tighten Your Obliques Without Adding Size With These Isometric Exercises
- Ab Circle Pro or Body by Jake? A $10 Alternative That is More Effective!
- “Ah Young Grasshopper…When You Can Take the Pebble From My Hand…You Will Have Six Pack Abs!”
Fat Burning Cardio
- An Aerobic Workout Program That Forces Your Body to Burn Fat
- A Jump Rope Workout That Burns Belly Fat
- The “Tabata Protocol”…An Effective 13 Minute Fat Burning Workout
- Balancing Steady State Aerobics With Interval Training
- Perceived Effort is the Secret to Avoiding Fat Burning Plateaus
- Fasted Workouts and Fasted Cardio vs EPOC – For Fat Loss
- Primary Cardio Machines -vs- Secondary Cardio Machines
- Adjusting Cardio Intensity to Match Your Diet
- Workout Intensity and Fat Loss – Hitting the Sweet Spot
- “Cardio Compensation” – Certain Cardio Workouts Cause Intense Food Cravings
- Interval Training Improves Your Endurance, Better Than Endurance Exercise!
- Why Walking is Necessary for Good Health – Even If You Are Extremely Fit and Lean
- Increase Natural HGH Without Injections, Sprays, or Pills
- Are You In Good Shape or Do You Just Have a High Pain Tolerance?
- Brief Exercise Found to Be Much More Effective for “Fit” People
Resistance Interval Training
- A Circuit Training Routine That Actually Makes Sense!
- Body Weight Circuits Are Kickin’ My Butt!
- Creative Circuit Training – Experimenting With Fat Loss Workouts
- How Interval Training Works – Lactic Acid, Oxygen Debt, and Recovery
- Hindu Squats. An Effective Body Weight Exercise for Fat Loss and Mobility
- My Muscle Building Course – Finally Ready to Be Released to the Public
- Best Chest Exercises to Build Masculine Square Pecs
- Strategic Way to Combine Machine Exercises With Free Weights
- How to Quickly Gain the Ideal Amount of Muscle Mass for Your Body Type
- Gaining Muscle Doesn’t Increase the Metabolic Rate a Significant Amount
- Your Weak Muscle Group vs Their Strong Muscle Group
- A “Sensible” Way to Build Muscle Mass
- How to Lose Muscle Mass on Purpose?
- The Top Exercises for Each Body Part? Impossible to Say!
- Standing Barbell Military Press – Not Just a “Shoulder” Exercise
- “Protein Guilt” – When You Wish The Meal Had More Protein.
- Build Muscle Mass With Body Weight Exercises
- Nutrition Plays A Small Role in Building Muscle Mass – Controversial Video
- Bar-Barians – Ninja Masters of the Pull Up Bar!
- A Big Mistake When it Comes to Gaining Muscle Mass
- How to Gain Muscle and Lose Fat at the Same Time?
- Is There a Vet Around Here? (Flexes Biceps) Because These Pythons Are Sick!
- Resistance Bands – Can Work Chest and Shoulders Better Than Free Weights?
- My Muscle Building Course – Finally Ready to Be Released to the Public
- Are Push Ups Necessary if You Have Access to Free Weights?
- Does Rep Count Even Matter? Controversial Findings of a Recent Study!
- The One Arm Military Press – “Old School” but Effective
- How to Get Stronger Than Ever While Burning Body Fat
- Sets and Reps – Long or Short Rest Periods?
- Explosive Pushups to Increase Your Bench Pressing Power and Pectoral Definition
- Gain Strength Without Fail By “Mastering the Weight”
- Pyramid Sets Are Bad for Strength Gains
- The Strength Training Rep Dissected and Explained
- Weak Grip Strength = Weak Body
- Muscle Confusion: A Quitter’s Approach to Lifting
- Gaining Strength Through Periodization – Train Like a Soviet Athlete!
- Avoid the Typical Bodybuilding Workout Split. What to Do Instead!
- Hanging Power Cleans – A Great Exercise for Strength and Definition
- Use Partial Reps to Shock Definition and Strength Into Lagging Muscles
- Drop Isolation Exercises to Get Through Sticking Points
- 7 Common Strength Training Mistakes. Is Your Workout Making You Weak?
- How to Get Stronger at Push-ups and Pull-ups Using a Soviet Special Forces Technique
- Make Body Weight Exercises Challenging Without Doing High Reps
- How to Do One Arm Push Ups for 20 Reps
- How “Thick Bar Training” Will Greatly Improve Upper Body Strength
- Explosive Strength Training – Applying More Force to the Weights Being Lifted
Increase Muscle Definition
- Muscle Tone VS Muscle Mass Workout Routines
- How “Getting Older” Actually Improves Muscle Tone
- Body Fat Percentage…No Need to Be Obsessed Over a Number!
- Muscle Tone Philosophies of Former “Soviet Special Forces” Instructor
- Why “Time Under Tension” Is Important When It Comes To Muscle Tone
- Lift Light Weights for Low Reps to Gain Strength and Muscle Definition
- 5 Tips to Help You Look Obscenely Hot In A Swimsuit This Summer!
- 6 Reasons You Should Avoid Training for “The Pump”
- Why You May Look a Bit Fatter When First Losing Body Fat
- Strength Training + Low Calorie Diet + Interval Training = Sexy Body
- Muscle Maturity – Looking Better As You Age
- Post Workout Shakes? Not If Fat Loss is Your Goal!
- Human Growth Hormone (HGH) – Breaking Down a Few Scientific Studies
- Tips to Fix “Skinny Fat” Syndrome
- Muscle Tone – A Controversial Term Examined
- The “Brief Workout” Trend – Are You Exercising Enough to Hit Your Goals?
- Summer Workout Tips to Maximize Your Time in the Sun
- How Rep Tempo Can Affect Fat Loss
- Stubborn Body Fat Caused by Excess Estrogen
- Gone in 60 Seconds: One Minute of Activity to Avoid Storing Calories of a Meal as Body Fat
- Legendary Surfer Laird Hamilton’s Workout Routine
- Will Smith Slims Down For New Role in the Movie “I Am Legend”.
- Is Tony Jaa the Next Bruce Lee?
- What Hollywood’s Sexiest Actors Can Teach You About Being Attractive to Women
- Duane Johnson, AKA The Rock, Looks Better Slim Instead of Bulky
- Trent Reznor of NIN Gained a Ton of Muscle. Did He Ruin His Look?
- Robert Downey Jr. is Looking Better Than Ever as Tony Stark
- Roman Sebrle, and Other Dominant Athletes in Track and Field
- Cam Gigandet’s “Never Back Down” Workout Aproach
- Tarzan VS Conan – A Competition of the Ages!
- Yvonne Craig (Batgirl and Green Lady from Star Trek) – Looks Better than Present Day Female Fitness Models
- Ryan Kwanten’s Workout – Jason Stackhouse from “True Blood”
- Taylor Lautner – Finally a Fitness Role Model for “Generation Y”
- Men’s Suits – 10 Crucial Buying Tips to Look Stylin’ Like James Bond
- Leonardo DiCaprio’s Personal Trainer for “The Beach” – Cornel Chin
- Madonna’s Gym, “Hard Candy Fitness”, Coming to a City Near You?
- An Interview With Tyler Shields – A Modest Celebrity Photographer Who Oozes Talent
- Skipping Meals Will NOT Slow Your Metabolism and Cause Weight Gain!
- Another Study “Questioning the Logic” of the 6 Meal Per Day Diet Plan
- Fat Loss Momentum…The Secret to Rapid Fat Loss
- Is Diet OR Exercise More Important for Fat Loss and Getting Lean?
- Incredible Fruit Facts: Why Fruit Should Be A MUCH Larger Part of Your Diet!
- Low Calorie Diets. How Low Calorie Can You Go, Without Losing Muscle?
- Another Study “Shoots Down” The Idea of Eating 6 Small Meals Per Day
- How to Retrain Your Taste Buds to Enjoy Healthy Food
- Snacking Takes More Discipline Than Fasting
- Strategic Eating to Get the Most Out of Your Upcoming Workout
- How Caffeine Affects Fat Loss, Exercise Performance, and Health
- High Insulin Levels Stop Fat Loss and Cause Weight Gain
- Embrace Hunger and Hunger Pains While Dieting
- Insulin and Fat Loss. A Simple Explanation.
- People Are Quick to Criticize Low Calorie Diets
- Maintain Muscle Mass On 800 Calories Per Day?
- How Much Water Per Day? Exaggerated by the Media!
- Southeast Asian Food – Does a Body Good!
- The Paleo and Primal Diet. Eating Like a Caveman?
- Constructing an Effective Diet Plan to Get Lean Before Summer
- Is It Okay to Eat Right Before Going to Bed? “Yes” and “No”
- “Mindless Eating” – Why Do We Continue to Eat When We Are Full?
- Low Carbohydrate Diet or Low Fat Diet? It Depends…
- Eat Stop Eat vs The Warrior Diet
- Reduce Calories and Reduce Unnecessary Time Spent Working Out
- “Why Exercise Won’t Make You Thin” – Analyzing This Time Magazine Article
- An Aggressive Dieting Approach to Use After a Period of High Calorie Eating
- Are All Diets, High Fat Diets?
- Wheat Allergies – Blood Shot Eyes, Runny Nose, and Only Gluten Free Beer? Say it Isn’t So!
- Carb Strategies That I Have Found to Work Well for Staying Lean
- Conquering Low Back Pain While Getting Fit…Part I
- Conquering Low Back Pain While Getting Fit…Part II
- Conquering Low Back Pain While Getting Fit…Part III
- Hate to Stretch? Don’t Have Time to Stretch? I Have Good News!
- Move Your Body Through Space – “Live Long and Prosper”
- Use the Back Bridge Exercise to Improve Posture and Reduce Back Pain?
- The Body of An Athlete – But the Spine of a Weakling?
- What is the Most Obnoxious Thing You’ve Seen While Working Out?
- Going Bald or Have a Receding Hairline? You Need to Buzz it Off!
- Giving Exercise Machines The Respect They Deserve…A Tribute to Arthur Jones 1926-2007
- “Learn Fitness Tips from YODA, You Will”
- An Amazing Personal Development Blog That Will Help You Reach Your Fitness Goals.
- Losing Body Fat Makes Your Face Much More Attractive and Sexy
- The Ultimate Home Gym Setup. Workout on Your Terms!
- Avoid a “Gym Body”. Aim for an Athletic Body Instead!
- Stop the Weight Gain Before You Become a Yo-Yo Dieter!
- 25 World Class Beaches Worth Getting in Shape For
- Acai Berry, Oprah Winfrey, Dr. Oz, Colon Cleansing, and Fake Blogs! What?
- The 5 Pound Rule – Staying Lean For a Lifetime
- Yo-Yo Weight Loss – The Natural Way to Lose Weight
- Get in Shape for Summer – My Detailed Spring Workout Routine
- I’m Shocked That Bodybuilding is Still Popular
- Personal Training – Good for Brainstorming, But Not Ideal for Long-Term Success
- “Positive Action” Gets Results – Not Positive Thinking
- Why Most Celebrity Workout Routines Are Overrated
- Being a Little Overweight Can Reduce Life Expectancy And Increase Health Risks
- “The Vacation Body Blueprint” – My Free 56 Page Report is Ready for Download!
- Fitness Tips and Observations From My First 40 Years
- Fitness Forums – The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly!
- High Metabolism When Young & Slow Metabolism When Old? Inevitable?
- Intense Exercise at Home – Easy to Give Up When No One is Watching
- Fitness Experts – Who is Right? Who is Wrong? Are you Confused?
- Hippies VS Jocks – Which Group is Healthier?
- Remember Recess and Summers as a Kid? That is When Exercise Was Fun!
- Muscle Recovery – The More Advanced You Get the Trickier It Becomes
- Maintenance Mode – Staying Lean Once You Get There.
- Giants VS Little People – Body Fat, Metabolism, Lean Body Mass, etc.
- Fat Loss Head Games – When Your Mind Makes Fat Loss Near Impossible
- Are Brief Workouts Effective for Fat Loss as You Get Older?
- What the Heck is Inflammation? Why Should You Care?
- The Best Gym Pound for Pound is in Bulgaria?
- A Story of Breast Cancer Survival
- “Visual Impact for Women” – Jazzed to Introduce My New Women’s Course!
- Mark Sisson – Why We Need Meat
- Scott Kustes – The Four Types Of Fat. Sorting Out the Confusion of Dietary Fats
- Craig Ballantyne – 7 Questions and Answers About Turbulence Training
- Brad Pilon – The Evolution of Weight Loss
- JCD Fitness – Improve Your Life by Improving Your Posture
- Adam Steer – Advanced Bodyweight Exercises: No Gym, No Problem!
- Gym Junkies – Motivation Tips for Sticking to Your Workout Routine
- Anna Dornier – Should Women Do the Same Type of Workouts as Men?
- Martin Berkhan – Scorch Through Your Fat Loss Plateau
- 10 Questions With One of the World’s Top Special Forces Trainers
Current Favorite Music Vids
New Order – World
[I pretty much love anything put out by New Order or some old school Joy Division. This is one of my favorites.]
Radiohead – Reckoner
[This song reminds me of my girlfriend. We listened to it on a summer time road trip while driving through the Columbia River Gorge. Perfect song to zone out to.]
The Chain Gang Of 1974 – Undercover
[Current new-wave inspired stuff by a great Indie band. We saw these guys live. Can’t believe they haven’t blown up yet…good stuff! ]
60 thoughts on “Best of Fitness Black Book”
In the past I purchased your VIMB. I love the knowledge and agree with you I follow your blogs. You really preach the truth that other people just don’t know for some reason. I am a model and really need my lower abs to come in and be as defined as possible without losing all my muscle as I have a very important photoshoot coming up very very soon. I AM SO EXCITED you FINALLY have a diet book. I have also read intermittent feast and am a fan for Nate Miyaki so excited for his new book to come out as well. I would like to ask you what type of workout plan would compliment your new diet book that is about to come out in order to be photoshoot ready ASAP? And I mean ASAP! I am so clueless with diets and workout frequency (amount of volume and days in a row) as with photoshoots coming up I feel bad not exercising everyday because I would hate to not be ready. I am a big fan Im so mad because I thought you said it was coming out today! =) Please get back to me, and keep up spreading the TRUTH! I have recommended your work to family and friends and I must say many people have it all mixed up, but after this coming photoshoot this will be the ultimate bomb on their wrong concepts as I am hoping to demonstrate a noticeable change I will give all the credit to you so they will try and be more open to the ideas you present like in VIMB. Hope to hear from you soon! (BTW I use to be a fellow Seattlite myself).
An Advice, Really Important For You To Know Rusty.
It’s always good to know those things in such details, but before something was mentioned about abs and back exercises that leads to pains and injuries. How to avoid is by actually doing the rep accurately, for example doing a crunch or sit-up you should never bent your spinal, it must be straight, about 180 degrees while the chin is tuck forward and the pushing force source is from abs and pulling back at the start point by buttlocks. Changing any detail effects the abs so that’s why for some people it only targets the upper and first 2 pack while others get 8 pack abs by a bit of sit-up. Might be a bit difficult to straighten your legs, but a must so that the center of mass is balanced to the center of your body and you don’t need to crush your spinal for a rep. It’s ok for flexibility, will develope later, by pointing your toes it will get a bit better. Remember Rusty, you’ll have to keep you spinal straighten whole the time; neither n nor u shape. Just the l.
Rusty. Visual impact has given me a clarity and insight into how to accomplish what I have sought after for years. Thanks for keeping it real!
I have a question that I have been turning over in my head. Your plans emphasize workout and cardio on an empty stomach. 3 hours before and one hour after. However I have always been taught that you should try to eat a good breakfast as soon as you wake up to start your metabolism. My question is: Is it better to get up and eat first thing or get up, hit your routine, and then wait an hour after and eat breakfast. Or is it better to have breakfast and work out later?
Your thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks for the outstanding work you do!
Hi Rusty I have the same question as Eugene. I bought Visual Impact and will be starting Phase One on Monday. My question is when you say 2 days on then 1 day rest then 1 day on…is that it for the week?
Conventional wisdom would say “yes” but there’s nothing in the program that tells me whether I just restart the routines after that cycle within the same week.
Would appreciate it if anyone could answer this as I’m training on a time goal (wedding) and I don’t want to waste a single week.
My boyfriend bought me your e-book Visual Impact for Women. I’m excited to start the workout, however I have a question about working your butt. I understand that your program doesn’t focus specifically on the butt, and that cardio will work your butt, hips, and thighs. If anything I want to reduce the size of my thighs, so I’ll be trying your tips on “losing muscle mass on purpose.” However, I’m a 5’5″-5’6″ 165 lb girl and everyone always tells me they can’t believe I weigh that much. I guess I carry my weight the way kim kardashian does: very busty and hippy/thick legs, but defined waistline. My question is, I do want to to be slimmer and tighter all over, I’m a size 10-12 and would like to be about a size 4-6. I’m looking to lose about 35-40 lbs, but keep my same shape. I’m worried with losing that much weight that I’ll straighten out or lose my curves, especially my butt. How do I slim all over, without losing the nice fullness of my butt? Do I just need to lose the weight more slowly? Over 3, 4, 5, 6 months?
Just wanted to say thanks for the recent emails. It’s good to see you sharing information again. Read Nate Myaki’s post and it was well worth the read.
All the best
My boyfriend doesn’t Facebook so he asked that I post this to you so I copied and posted what he thinks about you: Dude! I don’t know who you are or where you came from but when the student is ready the master will appear! And up until I stumbled on to you no masters just text book junkies with out a real clue fed by mass media telephone game hype! You are a God sent answer to desperate prayer a generation now Yoda! And for chicks to I might add your surf sight with such wisdom from both you and all your brothers of the same sword are supreme to the hilt! That said bought your visual impact for guy and girl version as well as cardio course and interment fasting best purchases of my existence with out question oh and the Abb report Rocks hard sexy abbs for sure!! Peace! I will tell all who are willing to listen and are fed up with being fed bogus or incomplete info! Feel free to use or place my comment however you choose.
Dude! I don’t know who you are or where you came from but when the student is ready the master will appear! And up until I stumbled on to you no masters just text book junkies with out a real clue fed by mass media telephone game hype! You are a God sent answer to desperate prayer a generation now Yoda! And for chicks to I might add your surf sight with such wisdom from both you and all your brothers of the same sword are supreme to the hilt! That said bought your visual impact for guy and girl version as well as cardio course and interment fasting best purchases of my existence with out question oh and the Abb report Rocks hard sexy abbs for sure!! Peace! I will tell all who are willing to listen and are fed up with being fed bogus or incomplete info! Feel free to use or place my comment however you choose.
Great site Rusty! I like your no nonsense approach to fitness. I’ve got the same kind of philosophy.
Hey! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with
us so I came to give it a look. I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m book-marking and will be tweeting this
to my followers! Fantastic blog and outstanding
style and design.
In phase 1 in the visual impact you said to do a 3 day split because we are working legs directly with recommendation of ” 2 days on one day off”. Would that be example:
Day 1- chest, shoulders, triceps
Day 2- legs, calves, abs
Day 3- off
Day 4- back, biceps, forearms
Day 5- chest, shoulders, triceps
Day 6- off
Day 7-legs, calves, abs
I would really appreciate it if you could reply to let me know if i’m doing the phase correctly… thanks.
Rusty, you ROCK!!
It will take me more than a month to read your black book.
My focus now I want to remove my chest fat, where I should start?
Rusty – A question for you. The person who I train with and I have been debating the “perfect physique”, including the best proportions, etc. In one of your visual impact muscle building articles you use a photo of my candidate – a male wearing jeans, no shirt, with a necklace and some type of bracelet/cuff on his right wrist. The person’s head is cropped out of the picture. This same picture is all over the internet under various fitness searches, but I don’t know who he is. Can you please tell me who this picture is of? I would really appreciate it.
hey i really enjoy spending time here in your website,
becoming a little bit less ignorant,
and i already learned too many things that works
But i would like to ask you something…
well, i’m 17 years old,
and i’ve been trying to get the look i want since pretty much ever(maybe since 12 or 13 years old),
i’ve try everything,
from the basics,
to the most ridiculus things in the world,
but i couldnt get there!
since i was a little kid, i watched all my heroes,
showing that awesome six pack,
like Cam gigandet in never backdown…
i just want to be like an average guy(what i mean is not to spend all the time in the gym, or every day.. because i love working out but i dont wanna be like all of those guys in the gym you know bulky and big), but
with a body like cam gigandet…
But nothing seems to work with me,
and this is why im asking for your help!
I’ve seen the guys you helped,
and thats what im looking for!.
Sometimes i think that nothing works with me
because im a teenager,
and almost 80%(i think) of the information you
manage in your website its for adults,
i dont know but believe me im going nuts!..
Thank you for reading this(if you are reading it)
and i hope you could answer..
I was thinking maybe with this experience(i mean helping a teenager getting a great look, could be in the future a new mini course or something like “yes! teenagers can get the hollywood look…” or whatever it is) you could help more teenagers like me geting what they want!..
Well again thanks and congratulations for the best site i’ve ever seen online!
Great job with the website! I found it about 2 months ago and have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts!
Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the Insanity program by BeachBody? I’m working towards achieving a lean, athletic look, but consistently get stuck at around 15-16% body fat (can see a little outline of my abs and a pretty visible 4 pack if I flex) with a pretty puffy look all over.
I really enjoy body-weight cardio routines (thanks for turning me on to Craig Ballantyne’s Turbulence Training!) and just want to hear your thoughts on whether Insanity would be a sensible approach to reaching my goals (my skepticism comes from the concern that Insanity is too cardio-oriented).
Thank you so much for your time and consideration in this regard and I look forward to your response!
Hi! In Visual Impact you recommend non-fat milk and chocolate powder as a good proteinshake after hypertrophy training. I find it strange because you say the chocolate powder is High Glycemic carbs. Because in the Glycemic Index list chocolate powder is low in glycemic carbs. I just wanna get my facts straight, and your opinion! 🙂 Best Regards Tor-Inge – Norway
Amen to that! What a great site. You have really done your homework. I think all the dance inspired toning workouts (like Bar Method) are catching on because you are right on track about what women want in a program. Long lean muscle.
One thing though. You list the rowing machine as a secondary cardio machine. Big mistake. It takes a while to learn the rowing stoke (not like other machines), but when you master it, you can do any intensity and duration you want. It builds strength, endurance and focus and will work you harder than any other machine or sport, hands down. I use a Concept2 rower (ergometer) with a PM2 monitor 4-5 days except when I’m on the water sculling.
Gyms that have rowers usually offer little or no instruction, so I suggest you find a rowing club and get someone to teach you how to use it. Rowers are a very helpful bunch.
co-founder Cape Charles Rowing Club, Virginia
its really great
can you please let me know the how to get good chest and the workout time to do abs. and can u please send the black book pages to my email address.