My Muscle Building Course – Finally Ready to Be Released to the Public

May 6, 2010

Back in January I launched a Beta release (just to my newsletter) of a muscle building course I created called “Visual Impact”.

I did my best to keep it low key and didn’t post it on my blog or anything like that. My goal was to expose this course to a small group and get their feedback and then make an improved version and then create the final product.

I sent out a survey a couple of months after this Beta release and to my delight, almost everyone who bought it was still following the program and getting solid results.

This is practically unheard of when it comes to fitness information products. Most people start a program and 2-3 weeks later move on to the “next greatest thing”. I am proud to say that wasn’t the case with my program.

Visual Impact Muscle Building

[A big focus of this program is adding muscle quickly, but not too much muscle. If you gain too much muscle it is hard to fit well into stylish clothes. Looking stylin’ is just as important as adding muscle. Who wants to live in sweat pants or workout gear?]

A Three Phase 6 Month Muscle Building Course

This course is mainly targeted towards guys. Women can get value too, but would most likely want to adjust the phases to insure that they don’t gain too much muscle.

They would want to focus a bit more on phase II and phase III and probably limit phase I (this will make sense in a second). Here is a breakdown of the three phases:

Phase I: Quick muscle gains, by focusing in the higher rep range and limiting rest periods in between sets. This creates “cumulative fatigue”…where each set builds upon the previous set. The growth in this phase is largely due to sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. This is an increase in the fluid (sarcoplasm) within the muscle cells.

Phase II: “Hardening up” the muscle gained from phase I while continuing to increase muscle mass (but now at a slower rate). We are focusing now in the mid rep range with longer rest periods. Each set is separate from the previous set and now we are maximizing tension and avoiding “cumulative fatigue”. This rep range and rest schedule builds actual muscle fiber (myofibrillar hypertrophy).

Phase III: Pure density training for maximum definition while purposely avoiding further muscle growth. You will be doing sets in the 2-4 rep range and rest long enough in between sets to lift heavy weights. There will also be a focus on HIIT to lose any excess body fat. This isn’t a bulk and cut program, but you will simply try to get really lean in this phase.

Bonus Phase: This is a strategy used after a period of time in phase III to get what I like to call the “Shrink Wrap Effect”. You begin this phase 3 weeks before an event or vacation.

This will make the skin tight around the muscles for maximum definition…and this is long lasting (NOT like carb-depleting and carb-loading).

Shrink Wrap Effect

[Click Here —> Visual Impact Muscle Building and head down the page to video #3. This will show you a video I made explaining the “Shrink Wrap Effect” in more detail.]

I Tried to Give Away Great Content on the Sales Page

I guess I hate to be seen as a salesperson.

I wanted people to come away knowing at least a little more about getting the lean “Hollywood Look” from visiting my sales page whether they decided to purchase the product or not.

If people decide to get the full-blown course, then great…but if they didn’t decide to buy I wanted them to be a little more knowledgeable than before they hit the page.

I also tried to keep the page pretty simple and clean like the blog, so this content would be easy to find.

I Don’t Want to Be Overly Promotional on My Blog…

…So I will wrap this up.

Head on over and watch the 4 videos, because it is valuable content similar to a good blog post: Visual Impact Muscle Building.

If you decide to buy then “thanks” and if you just decide to watch the videos, that is cool as well. I am pumped at the response from the Beta testers and believe you will get a lot out of this course if you do decide to invest in it.

Visual Impact

What is Included? The main “Visual Impact Muscle Building” ebook is 75 pages including a Q & A section from the Beta testers. The “Exercise Demonstrations” ebook is 227 pages with photos.

It is extremely well organized with click navigation (pretty darn cool). The “Printable Workout Charts” ebook is a printer friendly version of each phase of the workout.

It is basic on purpose and designed to save ink and paper.

How Much Does This Cost? I priced this at $47. I wanted to keep this around the cost of just one session with a personal trainer.

The product is being sold and delivered through Clickbank, so that means that you can pay with any major credit card or Paypal. It also comes with Clickbank’s 60 day guarantee.

Chris Cannon May 6, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I purchased your visual impact when you first released it as part of your beta test.

I have to say that the information in it is really good; and goes against the grain of what the main stream says (even against the people who claim that they go against the main stream LOL).

The amount of research that you did and how you stumbled upon the “shrink wrap” effect was really interesting… and it works!

The new graphics look great; they really represent what a great quality product this really is.

– Chris

Dan May 6, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Great value for the price. I liked VI the first time I read it and can’t wait to read it after you spiced it up a little.

Dan

David Grim May 6, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Congratulations on the finishing the updated course! I can’t wait to start promoting it so others can reap the benefits like I am from it.

David

Dave May 6, 2010 at 7:04 pm

This has been a fantastic program for me so far. The addition of the Q&A and exercise demonstrations to the package makes this even better.
Dave

kfoo May 6, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Yes! Very impressive Rusty! I was included in your “beta” group and I gotta say, you really took our input to heart. It certainly shows in the quality of your final product.

I’m nearing the end of Phase II (after a brief extension of Phase I) and because of the results I have been getting – my wife has COMPLETELY dropped her ‘Turbo Kickboxing’ and spin classes that she swears by, and is going full force into Phase III and ninja style cardio!

To be honest there aren’t many things hotter than seeing a toned girl with slicey arms pop a perfect hanging power clean and throw up some decent weight for 3 reps. WoooooEeeeee!

Thanks Rusty. You’re the MAN!

~kyle

Isa Sinani May 6, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Hey !
I have a question about the shrink wrap effect. Im a boy from sweden so I really dont understand everything u talk about training, its difficult for me to now all the words. So my question is, how many reps, sets and pounds should I do when I train with u’r methods. I have a very great looking body but i need the last thing, to get really ripped.

myTmouse May 6, 2010 at 7:23 pm

As usual, great work Rusty

Jor-El May 6, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Thanks!!! I bought it back in January and just from a quick scope I can tell I will love all the new information in the new version…Keep up the good work Rusty

John May 6, 2010 at 8:11 pm

This looks good Rusty!!! I’ll prolly buy it soon since I need to get fit for summer.

John Wintels May 6, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I stood in line waiting for this to come out as “beta” and I can vouch for the content, clarity of writing and program design. It is a steal at any price . . . especially considering the garbage out there for 3-4 times MORE money.

Grab this fast . . . do the program . . . then pat yourself on the back for being smart enough to do so . . .

Bill May 6, 2010 at 9:04 pm

To say been making progress with your original Visual Impact would be an understatement.

Have never felt this great since I first picked up a weight over forty years ago. The best part is I don’t look like a bloated meat head, but a lean fit dude. At my class reunion recently they asked if I was the son of one of the guests…..LOL…I loved It !! Cause I had just celebrated my 50th birthday that same week!!

So talked about feeling Jacked….I am ….on life! Knowing how to get that ‘Look’ without starving or feeling bloated, while enjoying Life and those I care about is TRUE Living.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to let you know how much you help both myself, along with so many others.

So big Kudos and warm Thanks to you Rusty for really caring with both your website and products too !!

All the best to you Rusty !!

Bill

Kelly@fitnessoverhaul May 6, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I’m happy to see that it is finally out there for everyone to benefit from. It is a great book and is so detailed and easy to understand. You will do amazing with it and I am proud to have been in the first group to have used it. I am still on it and making great results and will be starting phase two in a few weeks. I look forward to letting others know about it and look forward to any of your future books!
Kelly

Keith May 6, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Cool Rusty,
Do you include nutrition guidelines as well in the book on how to gain muscle? And also, I have a completely random question: What are your maintenence calories? Thanks

David May 6, 2010 at 10:00 pm

I was wondering does it matter if you start with phase 2 then phase 3 then phase 1 cause thats what I’ve been doing I wanted to lose some fat before adding on the muscle

jason May 6, 2010 at 10:59 pm

how do you feel this program works for people looking to be a little more athletic but mainly focusing on aesthetics

katie May 7, 2010 at 12:11 am

hi rusty, i have turned a big fan of ur blog ever since i found it.i am now an avid reader of all ur articles and even had some helpful advice from u which i am implementing right now on loosing thigh muscle. i am keenly waitin for ur women workout plan on loosing muscle.however i have one question as i am already following ur advice. u had advised me previously that i should drop all stationary bike and do”intervals of 1 min fast, 1min slow on the treadmill followed by 15 min jog”can u clarify what u meant by fast and slow did u mean runnin fast and running slow or joggin fast and slow. my height is 5’3″ and weight 98 lbs(age 21 yrs) right now i run on the treadmill fast=8.5, slow=6.5 and jog 7.5km/h(is this what u meant by ur advice). also i am interested to know the physiology behind this interval of fast and slow. is it said so that the glycogen stored in the body can be faster removed through anaerobic respiration induced by fast and slow running or is it to train the fast twitch fibers and help damage them so in my protein starved state the fast twitch fibers will reduce while promoting slow twitch fibers with 15 min jog afterwards.
thanks in advance
cheers

Tina May 7, 2010 at 12:14 am

Great job, Rusty!!!!!!!!!

Wow…I just watched your vids about your new product, and I have to say that as a woman, I’m really jealous that the guys have an opportunity to get this type of targeted information.

I love looking at before and after photos of women to inspire me to go all out with my diet and training, but honestly, I don’t want the muscular, thick-waisted appearance that I often see. I know…it looks better than a fat osteoporotic blob, but still…

Clearly, there is a way to get a lean, muscular, feminine look, but it is really hard to know how to get there. It also seems that most of the women who have feminine strong bodies have completely lost their boobs or have surgically implanted ones if they still do look feminine. I think that the visible veins in a strong woman’s upper arms and pelvic area kind of bother me as well.

Oh well…guess you can’t have it all! I still want to be strong and fit and will be happy to have any of it instead of fat rolls and poor health…

Also, as a woman, I wholeheartedly agree with you about the muscular look that is attractive for a man. Hate that plastic veiny cartoon character look.

Thanks for the videos.

Michael Dyer May 7, 2010 at 12:19 am

Cool stuff, I have to ask, do calisthenics play much of a part in your course?

Joel May 7, 2010 at 2:01 am

Just curious if a person’s bodytype (Ie: Mesomorph, Ectomorph etc) would affect the outcome of your program at all? I’m the posterboy for Ectomorph’s and have been disappointed with other programs i’ve tried before because they were focused for other bodytypes, without specifiying otherwise.

Program looks amazing, and I’d really like to try it in full… Just a little hesitant for the above reason.

Regardless, congrats on the release!
Joel

Stephan May 7, 2010 at 2:18 am

how lean should one be when he starts your program?
i know that muscle gain will lead to fat gain as well and I guess someone who is 18% body fat should lose fat first before even attempting to build muscles. What about someone who is 15% body fat.

What about those affected by the skinny fat syndrome?
Should they use the program or they would become too fat in the process?

katie May 7, 2010 at 3:30 am

oh! i have one more question.the muscle behind my right thigh was originally larger after doing recumbent bike(previously they were very slim) but now after following interval fast and slow my left thigh muscle is also beginning to grow. will both the muscles behind my thighs reduce if i follow ur advice for a month ?also i have just started following ur advice and i have done it for two days nowand i am planning to continue it for a month.
thanks in advance

gus May 7, 2010 at 5:26 am

hi rusty

Congratulations on the new “visual ompact”,you have done amazing work with this one:D

what i`m intrested to know is if you can do phase I, and instead of doing phase II you go directly to phase III and can gett the same results?
saying that you are happy with your sice after the first phase, and you would just want to add allot of density so you go directly to phase III, and then bonus phase, is this perfectly fine to do? do i end upp looking just as great as i would if i had done all three phases ?

thx allot, and once again congratulations with visual impact, SUPER STOKED !

Anna May 7, 2010 at 6:30 am

Looks good Rusty! I didn’t get your original visual impact package as it seemed to be targeted more towards the guys. How do think following this program is for girls? Did many do the first program, and if so, how did they find it went for them? I’m 161 cm, and 57-58kg, with around 23-25% BF, which is not exactly where I want to be. Would love to get below the 20% mark, but do seem prone to gaining muscle/bulk quite easily ( I think this might be from the gymnastics/strength training I did as an adolescent- higher amts HGR in the body, therefore greater muscle gain to effort ratio. What do you think?). I think I’m reasonably strong for a girl not doing major weight training (only one PT session a week with varying strength/weights workout, more bodyweight stuff, then intervals, boxing & X-training classes occaisional running or stairs sessions )- can do 4 unassisted full range chin ups, 20 “full” pushups. Avoid doing too much in heavy weighted lunges/squats etc.
What I wanted to know was whether this program could be easily adapted for the girls out there who also want the lean athletic look, but still remain feminine ie Jessica Biel/Jessica Alba? Also is there much in the way of nutritional info? I have just started to get into IF, will prol do 1-2 22-24 hr fasts ( a la Brad Pillon), with maybe a couple of 16hrs fasts per week (a la Martin Berkhan of Lean gains). I’ve found IF to be great for still being able to eat “normal” food. (Seems to cut through all the dieting OCD crap and lets you have an enjoyable relationship with food- I reckon!). Am very willing to buy the course, want to buy the course even, just want to make sure its going to help me go in the direction I want to go in, and I’m sure countless other women out there prol want to know the same… 🙂
Sorry bout longwindedness, just wanted to share a bit. Love your site, love the other readers comments and questions, and think you do an awesome job. I’ve done a bit of research into this stuff on the net, and think you’re easily one of the best, so please keep doing what you’re doing!
Thanks, all the way from Oz
Anna

Anna May 7, 2010 at 6:33 am

P.S Ooh, sorry, just one more question- if the program is not so suited for girls, do you plan on releasing maybe a modified version. Would def be interested +++

Mindbodygoal May 7, 2010 at 7:45 am

Looks like a solid product Rusty, hope it does well for you and those who read it.

Paul May 7, 2010 at 9:24 am

Hey man the program looks pretty awesome!..I’m planning on getting it pretty soon..I just have one question..I have lots of body fat to lose first before I put on some muscle..so can this program help me in losing body fat too or is it just about building muscle??..

Raymond May 7, 2010 at 10:26 am

Wow .. looks like everything that I was going to say has been said … so all I can add now is … nearly finished phase 2 … I’m amazed at the definition that’s appearing! … can’t wait to put on my blog the before and after photos I wonder if I’m the oldest using your program at 47?

Matt May 7, 2010 at 10:30 am

This look’s great, Ill make sure to pick up a copy when I get paid

Clement May 7, 2010 at 10:35 am

Congratulations, rusty. There’s no one person I’d wish success more than you. You really have great content on your blog. I’ll be picking the beta release up soon. Will you be having any promotions or are you gonna jack up the price any time soon?

chris May 7, 2010 at 10:46 am

Cool i am def gonna try this program looks good, well done

Chris S May 7, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Rusty this program looks awesome. I recently have dropped about 60 pounds, but I have another 20 or so to go. Do you recommend losing the remaining weight before I start this program, or diving right in while losing weight simultaneously?

Matt T May 7, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Just bought your course this morning. Have already read it twice and I am ready to go.

Going shopping tonight for groceries and will spend quite a while in the produce department.

admin May 7, 2010 at 4:49 pm

@ Chris,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I’m pleased with the graphics as well. Luckily I found a guy with better web design skills than me.

@ Dan,

I plan on sending out another questionnaire in a few months and answering even more questions and adding it to the Q&A section. I already added over 10 pages to the Q&A, but maybe will add 5-10 more and make sure everyone gets that updated copy.

@ David,

Yeah…I believe this will be one of those products that picks up steam as users begin to see solid results. I didn’t want to do the big launch deal, because I don’t want this to be a flash in the pan product that is uber-popular one week and forgotten about two weeks later.

@ Kyle,

I plan on doing a full-blown launch for my cardio ebook as well. That was kind of the same deal in that I didn’t ever really promote it (except just once to my list). Awesome to hear that your wife is jumping on board.

@ Isa,

What makes it worse is that I talk fast. I’m sorry about that. Whenever I hear a recording of myself I am surprised at how fast the words come out. Anyway…very cool that you know two languages. I really only know English and a tiny bit of Spanish. There are a lot of ways to get ripped. My recommendation in low reps while getting stronger and dropping body fat simultaneously.

@ myTmouse,

@ Jor-El,

It will continue to grow and evolve. I am obsessed with improving it. I will send out more surveys, answer more questions, etc. Everyone who buys will get all the future upgrades.

@ John,

You will get a lot out of it and will look good throughout the entire program. I don’t like the bulk and cut approach that so many others suggest, because then you look terrible during the bulk phase.

@ John,

Thanks a lot for the strong endorsement. I am always a little shy at pumping up my own stuff. I really do stand behind the product and believe people will get a kick out of how well it works. Thanks for being a Beta tester. You guys really helped me make this complete.

@ Bill,

That was very cool of you to say all of this. I greatly appreciate it! It reinforces the fact that I love what I do. Honestly…it makes it all worth the work hearing testimonials like this.

@ Kelly,

It really gets fun in phase II and Phase II. You will have a blast on phase II, because your strength will shoot up quickly…and your muscles will honestly harden up just a couple short weeks in. As far as future books…just have the women’s ebook and cardio one on the horizon.

@ Keith,

I keep nutrition really basic in the ebook because like Brad Pilon and John Barban…I believe true muscle growth is more a matter of training and less about nutrition. I actually aim for roughly 2,500 per day 5 days per week…and 2 days per week, closer to 800 calories. I follow Brad’s Eat Stop Eat diet and have done so for 2+ years. These are rough estimates…I adjust and eat a little “less” if I feel like I have 1-2 pounds of fat to lose.

@ David,

That is perfectly fine. What you might want to do is phase 2, phase 3, then starting with phase 1 go through the program in order 1, 2, 3, and bonus phase. It will work well for you.

@ Jason,

It depends upon what type of athletics you are involved in. I do think my program is geared more towards athletes than some, because I endorse cardio…and other muscle building programs tell you to avoid cardio. Many sports require this type of conditioning and my program would help in that regard.

@ Katie,

I would say slow as in a fast walk…closer to 3.5-4.0 range. This will allow you to run slightly faster during the fast portion. Honestly the fast slow combo promotes HGH release and also a bit of EPOC (you will go into oxygen debt which will speed up the rate at which you burn calories after training). Sprinting or any intense effort like this, also releases Free Fatty Acids from your stored body fat…and then jogging uses those fatty acids for fuel. This is why we add a low to medium intensity jog after the interval. The reason I recommend sprinting over cycling is that sprinting won’t produce a “pump” in the legs like cycling…so it is less likely to result in any muscle growth in that area. Hope this makes sense.

@ Tina,

My women’s product will be just as good and just as unique. It will most likely be a bit longer than Visual Impact. I already have the rough draft written. I am going to take a few weeks off from writing ebooks and then I will go into full-blown editing mode. I am excited about it. My whole focus is to insure that women get in shape and still look like women. I know exactly what you mean and literally tons of women feel the same wasy and it seems that almost every product misses the point. My plan is to change that.

@ Michael,

You can do calisthenics, but it isn’t a main focus. Adam Steer and Craig Ballantyne have the best calisthenics courses on the market. Oh…and “Convict Conditioning” is a masterpiece. If you don’t have this ebook you should check it out. It is awesome.

@ Joel,

I don’t really get into the different body types. I honestly look at this way…you will gain muscle with this program at a decent rate. If you are ecto, you probably will never gain as much muscle as a mesomorph…but you don’t need to. The muscle you do gain will have a bigger visual impact, because it is going onto a smaller frame. What I have noticed about ectomorphs is that they typically don’t do enough sarcoplasmic focused training. They often times try to lift heavier and heavier weights which makes their muscles firm to the touch (but not much bigger). My guess is that you have dense muscles but probably not as much size as you would like. This program will take care of that. I only know all of this, because I’m an ecto as well.

@ Stephan,

You could start at phase 2 and just up the HIIT a bit, then do phase 3. Then do the program from start to finish. It would work very well. Just a slight tweak.

@ katie,

If you are interested in losing muscle, you will want to do marathon cardio. Jog on that treadmill for 30-45 minutes at a steady pace. This isn’t as good for losing fat, so after a few months of this…you would want to do HIIT and jogging combo…which will have you drop body fat without adding muscle to your legs. This will vary from person to person, so you will need to adjust as needed.

@ gus,

You can go straight from phase one to phase three if you wind up with a decent amount of muscle after phase one. I would recommend most people to do phase 2 as well, since it will add myofibrillar growth…but you could skip it in your case.

@ Anna,

I always enjoy hearing from people in Oz. When my site was new I had more Oz readers than I did people in the US. I always feel grateful that you guys adopted me so early on when the site was small. Anyway…the program can work for women…you would just need to take the principles learned and change the workout a bit. Mainly you would want to limit phase one more than anything else. That being said…In about 2-3 months I will be releasing a women’s course.

@ Mindbodygoal,

Thanks. I am pretty pumped about the results people are getting.

@ Paul,

Phase three will be more geared towards losing body fat while gaining strength. My suggestion is to start in phase two, then do phase three (under a decent calorie deficit)…then go back through the entire program.

@ Raymond,

I hope that a lot of people took before and after pics. It might be fun to put up some testimonials on the sales page. Glad you are loving phase two. Phase three will result is crazy definition and density if you lose that last little bit of body fat during that time as well. It is a fun phase…probably my favorite.

@ Matt,

Much appreciated! You’ll dig it.

@ Clement,

Thanks buddy. No, this is actually the final release. I don’t plan on increasing prices, but it could happen. I certainly don’t plan on increasing the price any time soon or anything like that. It is probably a bad marketing decision to not create a sense of urgency…but I just like it better this way. No rush…just buy it when you are ready and prepare to be extremely pleased with the results 🙂

@ Chris,

“Do or Do Not! There is no “Try”….Yoda 1980
I’m such a geek. I think you will get a lot out of this.

@ Chris S,

Start on phase 2 with a sightly more agressive approach to HIIT and a decent calorie deficit. Then do phase 3…after that do the program in order from start to finish.

@ Matt,

A person of action. Very cool!

Great feedback!

-Rusty

Shaun B May 7, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I’ve just watched the 4 videos and it sounds great, i just have one question. I can only devote 3 proper sessions per week at the gym, although these 3 sessions are intense! Will that be enough time spent working out to get the results you describe?

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

Shaun B

Ron May 7, 2010 at 9:54 pm

I should try this. It’s tough, though, to lay of the sweets when your day job is working at Starbucks!

Tim May 8, 2010 at 12:43 am

Hey guys,

Just downloaded the new version of Visual Impact and I can tell you it’s amazing. I really love the way Rusty added in the exercise descriptions. You have to see this e-book!! The workout is amazing also. I am looking real tight right now and can’t wait for the bonus phase.

Thanks,

Tim D

katie May 8, 2010 at 3:44 am

thanks a lot rusty for ur great advice . ur the best

cheers

Yoke May 8, 2010 at 9:39 am

I have to say, this is the best money I’ve spent in years 🙂

phuong Wood May 8, 2010 at 11:01 am

hey rusty, awesome stuff on this website. I’m a 38 yo female who’s had two kids and am looking to lose those last few inches around the midsection. If successful, I’d have a build similar to jillian michlaels. I just bought your program and have been implementing eat stop eat a few times a week. How would you suggest I attack the phases?

Aaron Curl May 8, 2010 at 7:59 pm

I have never ever bought anything like your product, but since I value your info and blog I’m going to purchase it. I know it will be great….great job Rusty!

Johnny May 10, 2010 at 7:11 am

Hey Rusty. Congratulations on the new book, I will definitely check it out. I’m just wondering if you recommend the usage of supplements in your program.

K L May 10, 2010 at 8:00 am

Hi Rusty, i was wondering if this density-training would do any good for abs? I’m male with 8% BF and i got ALMOST perfect sixpack but i feel that i have a little bit fat (or just skin?) so my abs are not showing as good as i would like to when i go to beach ^^ Keep up the good work, this site is perfect! 🙂

Matt T May 10, 2010 at 8:39 am

Matt T again. Just a quick question for you. Phase 1 is an awful lot of volume, is it not? Being 42, do you think I could recover quickly enough going 2 on 1 off like you suggest. Maybe 1 on 1 off would be better for me. What are your thoughts?

Ken May 10, 2010 at 10:51 am

After reading your fantastic content for many months now, I couldn’t not buy this program. I just purchased it. Today’s reading will be the easy part. Tomorrow starts the hard part. But I’m looking forward to some great results. I’m turning 40 in September and my motto this last year has been “Fitter at 40 than I was at 20!” I’ll take before and after shots and ship them to you in September. Keep up the great work!

Seo May 10, 2010 at 11:43 am

Rusty –
I just ordered the program and speed-read through the program and I’m so exicted I thin it will really help me, even though I am a woman. Can you help me with a couple of modification questions?

1) I plan on starting on phase III since I already have a lot of muscle (I actually have that rounded, big muscles and w/o definition look for a girl). But I am a group fitness instructor and teach a cardio kickboxing class and weight lifting (BodyPump) class 2-3 time/week. Do I need to modify my phase III cardio or do I just add them to my regular teaching schedule?

2) I naturally have a flat butt w/ strong quads – it took me a year to grow my butt to where I want it to be. I want to keep it but lose my over-developed quads. I plan on following Phase III, but add one day of just glute training (12-15 reps of exercises that work glute/hams only but not quads) to keep my size. Is it going to be counter-productive to your program?

Thanks for your work, Rusty. I can’t wait to get your women-specific program but in the meantime I am going to do this program starting TODAY!

vacoder May 10, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I bought the E-book (beta) and must say that it’s the best purchase any one can make if they are serious about “Hollywood” look.
The content is simply AWESOME though I think the pictures on this blog are better than in the book.
Thanks for incorporating Q&As in the final version. Talking about Q&As, what is the best way to reach you if we have more questions (i.e. if they are not already covered). Please let me know.

Keep up the good work!!!

Matt T May 10, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Just got done workout 1 in Phase 1 for the first time. I started the program today.

You can forget about my last post and my question about the volume. I felt great after the chest, shoulders and triceps workout.

I did not have time to do the HIIT though. My son woke up from his nap right when I was going to start it. I will get it in tonight.

Great writing in the program by the way. Thanks also for a great blog.

Keep up the good work!!!

Rambo May 10, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Just bought this today and will start Phase 1 in a few hours. Good work as always Rusty

Rambo

Wayland May 10, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Hey Rusty, I bought the program and jumped straight to Phase II. I think that I’ll try to do it for 3 months or more and then go to Phase III. Today, I almost felt like I hadn’t worked out since I’m used to being in the gym for about 2 hrs. I didn’t use a treadmill at the gym for the HIIT. Instead, I came home and ran up and down the dirt road. My dogs didn’t seem to mind running around with me while we all huffed and puffed. Would you say that doing 245 lbs. for the deadlifts portion is a good amount of weight in comparison to what you lift during your Phase II?

admin May 10, 2010 at 9:03 pm

@ Shaun,

I think you could get away with it…just make sure the session are pretty darn intense like you said.

@ Ron,

I would have a tough time with avoiding caffeine overload. Love those double tall iced Americanos.

@ Tim,

I should make a video showing the navigation for that ebook. It took me forever to set it up like that since that ebook is over 200 pages…but well worth it.

@ Yoke,

Thanks for the nice words! I really did put in my best effort to teach people and not just have them blindly follow a routine without understanding all the principles behind it. I am proud of how it turned out and humbled by these nice comments.

@ Phuong,

For people who want to focus first on fat loss, they can do phase 2 first, then phase 3…then go through the phases in order. This will work well.

@ Aaron,

Thanks for taking the leap. I know you dig it.

@ Johnny,

Really only creatine in the bonus phase (completely optional)…it works without it. Possibly a good protein shake if you want as a meal replacement…but can be done with whole foods as well.

@ K L,

You probably just need to hold at that body fat percentage…then you will be good in time.

@ Matt T,

Give it a shot. It isn’t as bad as it sounds.

@ Ken,

Will love to see your progress. I just recently turned 40 myself. No need to look old and slacking at this age.

@ vacoder,

Yeah…the pics are a little more fun and creative on this site. Send me questions on the Contact form over on Visual Impact Muscle Building sales site. I will do my best to get back within 48-72 hours.

@ Matt T,

Glad you liked the first workout. It can go pretty quickly since you aren’t resting a ton in phase 1.

@ Rambo,

Have a great workout!

@ Wayland,

I don’t do deadlifts anymore as they make my thighs and butt grow quickly. As far as weight goes…since you are doing sets of 5 reps…just pick a weight you can do in that rep range and add weight once it is pretty easy to do 5 reps for all sets at that weight.

-Rusty

Don Smith May 10, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Rusty, I have been reading your blog for awhile and have a couple questions. Firstly, at 6′1 171 pounds I am ‘light’ but should I disregard weight in an effort to get an even lower body fat via calorie reduction. I have a hint of man boobs and not great ab definition. Is this bodyfat or training related (more ab work, more incline chest work)?

Thanks.

C2H5OH May 11, 2010 at 10:52 am

So basically what would happen if I used the 3 rep range from the start? I would never get bigger or what?

Seo May 11, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Hi Rusty, I bought your visual impact program and ninja cardio program this week and am planning on starting from phase 3. I’m a girl with lots of big muscles already burried under a layer of fat, so I figured I wouldn’t need to grow more muscles. I have a couple of questions though…

1) I’m a group fitness instructor and teach a BodyCombat and BodyPump class each week. Do I need to modify HIIT/cardio portion anyway, or should I just do them in addition to the classes I teach? Or, should I consider these classes HIIT and follow up with just easy cardio?

2) I have a naturally flat butt and did a lot of hardwork for a year to get it to the size I want, and I don’t want to lose it. However I have over-developed quads so I welcome NOT doing any legwork. I want to still do one day of glute/ham training doing 12-15 reps to maintain the size – is that okay or would it be counter-productive? I do get some strong legwork in BodyPump class I teach so should I just skip all leg/glute work and see how it goes?

Thanks for this great program – I am so excited to try it!

Shaun B May 12, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I’ve finished reading your book and its fantastic. I’m going to start the course from phase 1 and really focus on hitting my upper chest. I’m 6, 3 tall and 200lbs with around 12% bf. I was thinking of doing the course as you’ve suggested and then just work on phase 2 & 3 to get leaner. Do you think that would be the best way to go? Again, congrats on this great book, will recommend it to my friends at the gym!

Shaun

admin May 13, 2010 at 12:22 am

@ Don,

Sounds like you are just a tad bit skinny fat. In that case simply do the course as outlined because you will add muscle while losing body fat in the process. No adjustments will be needed and incline bench will help a lot.

@ C2H5OH,

You can get bigger with 3 reps, but it is a slow process. In my program 3 reps is done under a calorie deficit & avoiding fatigue and failure…so it is directly targeting an increase in muscle density and not size.

@ Seo,

I wold say those classes would count as the HIIT portion of your workout, but just to be sure…maybe do one HIIT session on the treadmill per week in addition to the steady state cardio.

Try avoiding direct ham and glute work at least temporarily if your thighs are bigger than you would like. After a few months, your legs will reduce in size…at that point re-introduce the ham and glute work. This should work well.

@ Shaun,

Yeah…that is a great approach. After you get done with all three phases then just alternate between phase 2 and phase 3 to get leaner and leaner…once an event comes up throw in some phase I type bonus phase work. Glad you like the program & I greatly appreciate you spreading the word!

-Rusty

C2H5OH May 13, 2010 at 6:30 am

Rusty maybe I didnt understand you well, but your new program is electronic or paper one? I’m not from the USA so buying a book would be problematic

Jeremy May 13, 2010 at 7:02 am

i just downloaded my copy of visual impact and i can’t wait to get started!!!

i’ve been following your site for quite sometime, and i trust your wisdom over many others. therefore i trust this program to work out for me. thanks again Rusty.

Ken May 13, 2010 at 2:18 pm

A little off the subject, but I meant to ask you, why did you change your header picture to palm trees? The other one was sooooo much nicer!

mebs May 17, 2010 at 3:23 am

Hello Rusty;

Thanks i have downloaded the program gone through it. bought the protein. i am starting today with phase I with my wife plus the protein salad and rice diet. she is going away on vacation and i want to see if we can get any results in 18 days. also i don’t see any comments by women. is this a male only site

Waisthipsandthighs May 21, 2010 at 11:54 am

Its been a few weeks since I’ve been to FitnessBlackBook since I’ve been spending so much time on the fitnessblogtraining site. Glad to see that you have been able to actually do both now i don’t feel as bad for taking up so much of your time. As usually your posts here are always A+ quality and much appreciated.

-Thomas

danny May 23, 2010 at 10:41 pm

hi, i came here looking for a workout routine for exactly what you seem to be saying,not bulky and proportional. i was wondering if this workout sounds any good?

thanks, danny

Haziq May 27, 2010 at 3:19 am

Just bought it, first thing I’ve gotten off the internet, worth every penny. Always happy to support your site, awesome job man. Great content, flexible, not crazy (EAT THIS THIS AND THIS! DO IT OR YOU WON’T GAIN ANY MUSCLE!!!! GARRRRRRRH!!!!). I can see myself sticking to this for agesss, thanks bro 🙂

Ayad June 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Thanks for putting so much information up! I know I’ve benefited enormously from just a few weeks perusal of your posts. At the moment I’m your typical impoverished student lol, so body weight and sandbag training has been the way forwards for a few months now – and I have been seeing some benefits. However, it took reading your posts on the Hollywood physique and particularly the two intermittent fasting diets to really help me sift the wheat from the chaff that I now realise must make up a solid majority of the total published fitness ‘info’ on the web. I’m a convert to the Rusty school of thought! ;D

However, I did wonder if I could ask you a question about getting lean muscle – is it ok to blend sarcoplasmic work and density work in one workout? I can do 10ish decent pull-up, say, but only 3-4 overhead presses with a 60lb sandbag (see where I’m goin :D) Would it be best in your experience to stagger my weak and strong exercises or can I do both in one session and still get the Hollywood look?

Ayad

Seo June 7, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Hi Rusty, I just wanted to let you know, after only one month of following your plans (Visual Impact plan phase 3 and your Ninja strategic cardio plan) my abs are finally flat and there is a soon-to-be-a-hottie in the mirror! The best part is that I don’t get obsessive about six meals a day any more, and I no longer have to boil dozen eggs every night – I used to say I’d punch someone if I had to eat another egg white or asparagus, and now I eat great food in moderation and I’m losing bodyfat!

I stopped all heavy weight lifting on lower body and focused on HIIT followed by easy cardio, and I haven’t lost any size where I don’t want to lose (chest & booty) and am only getting leander where I want to get lean! If you were here, I will give you a big hug! I know you haven’t yet finished writing a plan for female bodies yet, but I am here to tell everyone that your plan works for ladies fantstically!

Something June 10, 2010 at 2:25 pm

“If you gain too much muscle it is hard to fit well into stylish clothes. Looking stylin’ is just as important as adding muscle. Who wants to live in sweat pants or workout gear?”
– Haha, you are one funny dude. Just don’t eat enough and don’t increase you poundage once you are happy with your progress. But these people are your target demographic. So enjoy and good luck with your blog, my friend.

Nick July 9, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Hey Rusty I love your site and have looked at soo many different articles. I am 15, 5’7 and I weigh 140 lbs. I’m around 8% body fat but I dont have an incredibly visible six pack, or great muscle definition or anything like I want and it’s frustrating because I do eat so clean, and I am so consistent with my workouts. I did strictly mixed martial arts for 4 months straight, and now I am doing weight training and still MMA on Wednesdays. What can I do to get the added definition that I aim for?

P.S. Being 15, I can’t really buy this e-book… but if i could, I definitely would because I know your information is unique and very very useful.

Thanks again Rusty,

Nick

Ivan August 3, 2010 at 12:49 am

Hey Rusty!

I bought your plan, and I must say it’s very interesting. I have one question, I haven’t managed to do one single push-up for the first day after the whole training, my entire upper-body was exhausted. Do you have any recommendation for me, I don’t want to lose the benefits of the pushups…

David September 5, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I am 20 and in fairly good shape, I do not have as much muscle as I want, but also am not lean in anyway. I can not see my abs, which is one of my main goals…I have bought your visual impact course and plan on starting up with that this week, I am also going to be following the eat stop eat diet. You have 2 on and 1 off as your workout, do you believe it would be bad for me to do HIIT or body weight circuits, such as the crazy 8 circuit, on my days off from weight training, this would just be to speed up the bad fat loss and gains i could achieve.

Joe September 14, 2010 at 1:51 am

Do you reccomend the warrior diet?

Michael October 1, 2010 at 8:09 pm

At the end of this 6 month program, will you also have defined abs(six pack)? Will this program also help shorter men who want to be muscular but also advoid the ‘stocky, bodybuilder” look that so many of us fall victim too?

Michael October 14, 2010 at 9:00 pm

If a person does phase two,and then phase 3, and then the bonus phase, but skips phase 1 or only does it for a month will their body still look impressive?

Tyson November 7, 2010 at 2:18 am

Purchased the program 3 weeks back and love it so far. Quick question. I have done the last 2 weeks doing the no leg modified Phase I of 2on/1off – 2on/2off approach. Life is starting to ramp up again and I am starting to lose gym time. Would a 3 day split still be effective for Phase I? Phase II? Phase III If so, how would I work that to be most effective?

Tyson November 7, 2010 at 2:22 am

3 day split might not have been the workout I was thinking of. Basically I can get into the gym 3 days week, mainly M-W-F. How can I make this work for me?

Trent November 21, 2010 at 1:45 am

Hey Rusty!
Just wondering if you sell just the first little booklet on it’s own for purchase or am I going to buy the whole set?
Looks awesome man

Austin December 19, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I am 16 about 5’11” and 145 and just under 10% body fat. I was wondering if this program would work for me?( i have previously followed other bodybuilding programs with little to no surfaces at all).

Sarah January 11, 2011 at 8:45 am

Hello.

Is this workout plan suitable for women as well as men? Or is the main focus a male hollywood body?

Since admin seems pretty buisy, does anybody else know?

Garret April 4, 2011 at 6:25 am

Hi Rusty. I’ve got some fat to burn but wouuld like some size as well. Got about 3 months till “summer” (when my exams finish) and don’t have time for the full program. Would a 2 month phase 3 followed by an extended bonus phase work or should I do the program all the way through?

Dan April 4, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I am getting ready to purchase VI I am wondering similar to the comment above. My thinking is I am wanting to push hard through phase 2 first with summer getting ready to start. I am fairly lean already 5′ 10″ 160 with Okay definition, but not as much as I would like, so I was wanting to add size and definition at the same time for the summer. Any thoughts?

Gary - Simple Exercise Routines April 11, 2011 at 9:45 am

Quote: “If you gain too much muscle it is hard to fit well into stylish clothes.” – Now if only I could have this problem.

John May 16, 2011 at 9:35 am

I started your program in January, and let me say that this has been the most effective program for me ever! I have lost 22 lbs. and am handling weight that I used to be “afraid of.” I will be finished with phase 3 on May 19, 2011, and what I wanted to know if I should use the eat stop eat during my bonus phase? I am not as lean as I want to be, but I am back in all of my expensive clothes from years ago. I am glad that I like dressing mostly in the classic style and my clothes never go out of fashion. I just turned 40, so this feels great to be in probably the best shape of my life.

Angel García June 4, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I’m writing you from Spain, and I was looking over the internet to get a routine to get good abs, and I’ve found your ABS Blueprint 1.0. I’m going to translate it to spanish for my own benefit, as it will be easier to me to read it in spanish, and because it’s not a big deal (45 pages, I think that I’ll translate them in a breeze).

Do you want the resulting document? I can send you once I do it (maybe you have spanish friends and could be useful. Notice that I’m spaniard – from Europe – and latinamerican people will read and think that some expressions are a bit strange, like american and UK english…).

Best regards, and thanks for your Abs guide…
Angel García

Daniel August 15, 2011 at 8:06 am

I’m currently trying to put on some mass in my upper chest. I was wondering if during my workout, should I work to failure or not?

Gian September 10, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Hey Rusty!

I wanted to know if I can combine phase I and III, meaning I’ll do one week phase I, the next week phase III, and so on…

Sonny October 6, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Hi Rusty!
I’ve done phase 1 for four weeks now. And I have a bit of a problem. I’m a proffesional musician and songwriter from Sweden and I’m touring a lot. I started your program this spring (got to first week of phase 2) but couldn’t keep it up on the road. Too bad cause it worked so well for me! Anyway! The touring is over and I’m gonna be home for 6 month. The problem is that I’m quite chubby after all the beer, burgers and nachos you can’t resist on the road. I feel I’ve gained muscle but fat aswell. Normally my weight is around 154 Ibs but after a long period of touring its around 174! Horrible I know. Got to change my diet on tour:) Anyway what to you suggest? Should I do phase 3 for a month and then jump back to phase 1 and continue the program or should I back of a lot with calories and countinue phase 1? Im not near the goal of musclegains yet. Allthough I can see that my muscles are growing in a great way. I look like way to chubby and not close to the lean style I’m aiming for.
I guess it wouk have worked better if I started with my normal weight instead of my post tour weight.
All the best/S

JLMA October 11, 2011 at 9:55 pm

PYRAMIDS with SAME WEIGHT?

Phase 1 of VIMB says “PYRAMID the WEIGHT” for several of the exercises and “SAME WEIGHT” for other exercises.

When doing pyramids, if you picked the right weight for the first set of each exercises, isn’t to “PYRAMID the WEIGHT” and to use “SAME WEIGHT” in all sets the same thing?

After all, when you PYRAMID the weight you end up doing less reps from set to set, and this may happen (if the right weight is selected for the 1st set) without having to chngbe the weight you lift in each subsequent “pyramid” set.

What do you all think?
Could/Should pyramids not be done with the same weight in all sets of the same exercise?

Thanks,
JLMA (getting ready to start VI on Monday!)

JLMA October 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm

TRACKING PROGRESS:

(1) Which measurements should I take before & during the program in order to keep track of my progress throughout VI?
(2) How often do you guys re-measure?
(3) which measurements do you take? shoulder and waist circumferences? weight? ??

JLMA

JLMA October 11, 2011 at 10:03 pm

SPREAD-SHEET to KEEP TRACK?

Any good spreadsheet out there for efficient track-keeping throughout the Program?
What do you gous keep track of? “Strating Weight” in each exercise?

JLMA

Kevin November 19, 2011 at 11:09 am

Hi Rusty. Just recently stumbled across your blog. I’m so excited and ready to get going on this! This is the information I have been looking for and the fact that you get such rave reviews tells me I’ve found the RIGHT information!

One question.. Is this program in PDF format so it could be read on a Kindle?

Thanks and keep up the outstanding blog!

Kevin

Chris December 30, 2011 at 7:37 am

Rusty i have a question about phase I, your program is awesome by the way. Could i use the chest, shoulders and triceps day as workout A, and workout B as back, biceps, forarms and abs, and just alternate them like ABA BAB, i feel my legs are a good size for my frame.
Also would it be ok to do this on monday, wednesday and friday like you reccomend but every other week or so throw in a leg day on tuesday or thursday

Brent January 23, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I just purchased visual impact and am 2 days into workouts, my biggest question is how do I choose a goal weight I’m just a hair under 6’1″ and I honestly don’t know what weight I should be at if I’m in the shape I think visual impact will get me to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dan January 29, 2012 at 12:21 pm

hi rusty

really enjoying your program and been doing phase on about 2 weeks naw and enjoing it but iv tweaked it abit been doing 4 days a week day 1-chest ,day 2- back/shoulders , day 3 off , day 4- legs , day 5- bicep/tricep, sat and sunday off and was wondering if this would work well for phase one?

best regards

dan

Joe January 31, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Quick question: In Phase 2 there are only 2 exercises per muscle group. Some have only 1. I know this phase is about strength gains after gaining all the muscle in phase 1. But is only 1-2 exercises per muscle group enough for strength and maintaing muscle size at the recommended 5 reps for 5 sets? It just seems like I should be doing more exercises.

dan March 19, 2012 at 8:52 am

Got 2 more weeks left of phase 2 and iv gained 2.5kg in phase one and phase 2 which is ok but i have only gained 0.2 on my waist and my abs are still visible so dont now weather to go through phase 1 and 2 againg befor hitting phase 3 or just go straight to phase 3 ?

Best Regards

Dan

Shakey April 12, 2012 at 1:06 am

Hi Rusty

Im in the UK and just want to say thank you for your course, it is working wonders.
Im about to go into the bonus phase as I go on holiday in two weeks, im currently doing 20mins of HIIT followed by steady state of 20mins in phase 3. What cardio (if any) would you recommend for the bonus phase?
Also would I need to introduce a post work out or pre-bedtime protein shake?

Thanks mate…

Mikey August 25, 2012 at 11:01 am

I been reading pretty much everything on your site for a while and this is the first comment im posting. I just want to say that your site and books are pretty much awesome, they have definitely helped me get in the best shape of my life and helped me gain my confidence back. Im currently on deployment in Afghanistan so I decided to try VI and am currently on phase 2. I’m going to have to cut this phase a month short as well as phase 3 since I’ll be headed home soon. But anyways, I’ve gotten awesome results! I seriously started this deployment at around 23% body fat and after hitting your program hard these past 3 months, I’m currently at 12% body fat. I’ve also been able to shave off about 2.5 minutes on my 2 mile PT run by only using the cardio machines, that HIIT is no joke. So again, thanks and keep up the great work!

Michael September 21, 2012 at 8:51 pm

First of all congratulations on your fantastic blog and thanks for all the great information you share. I will start with visual impact next week and just have additional questions: I play soccer regularly (Wednesdays practice for 2 hours and Sundays game). Would you recommend to have Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday workout (no leg workouts, just upper body, and no HIIT) on a lean gains slow bulk diet. Would this affect my muscle growth or my soccer performance? Is it better to do your program just on two or three days a week for more recovery? How many times a week could I add leg raises (hanging and laying)? I’m currently at 192 lbs with 10% body fat. Your help would be really much appreciated.
Greetings from Austria, Michael

Pat G December 11, 2012 at 7:15 pm

HI RUSTY!
Im in phase 1 of this program, I do cardio before and after i do my days worth of your lifting program and i burn about 500 calories during the cardio. Im 5 ft 7in male at 195 pound and i would say i just have the “stubborn fat” left on my body (problem areas-stomach, lower chest, a little bit on my obliques and thighs)

Is it ok to be doing this much cardio (trying to deplete carbs)

Would appreciate a reply…THANK YOU!

Chris A December 30, 2012 at 4:03 am

I’ve been following your program for the past 4 months and I have to say, it’s working EXACTLY as advertised. For Phase 1, I ate a surplus and in phase 2 I am following a carb cycling diet. I grew a lot during these two phase, but my question is for Phase 3 of this program.
Is it a good idea to take a fat burner during this phase. I plan to follow the leangains guide and I was wondering if a fat burner would cause a lot of muscle gain. I’ve read in your post that it is hard to lose muscle when your using them, but I was wondering if this is also true when fat burners enter the equation.
Thank you again for this program. It REALLY WORKS.

Peter March 7, 2013 at 3:41 pm

hi rusty i had a question,
i’ve had pause my workouts for a while (1 month). do i need to start back at phase one or can i continue at phase 2?
and also, is it okay to do different phases for different muscles? (since my biceps are somewhat big but i want to tone them more, but my chest is small and i want to increase in size)