“Hybrid Dieting” – Cherry Picking the Best Diet Strategies

June 26, 2012

I don’t have a label for the type of diet I like to follow.

I eat Paleo meals occasionally, use Intermittent Fasting about once per week, eat Gluten Free at times, etc. If I had to come up for a term for it, I’d call it “Hybrid Dieting”. It is a loose way of eating, where I take principles from several solid diets…when it makes sense.

I’ll outline some solid principles in this post for those who want to lose weight without necessarily following a rigid diet year-round.

Sauce Pan
The” Calories In/Calories Out” Strategy

I shouldn’t even call this a strategy. The idea of burning more calories than you take in, should be the #1 goal when it comes to losing body fat. Sounds obvious, right? You would think so…but I can almost guarantee you that there will be several people commenting who will dispute this strategy.

There are several groups who believe that it doesn’t matter how many calories you eat…as long as you keep your insulin levels stable. These are typically the low carb groups that go by many different names.

Note: There are several low carb groups who do encourage creating a deficit as well as eating low carb.

How I implement this strategy: I like to focus on a weekly calorie deficit. I figure out how many calories I can eat per week and come in at that number. I’ll eat somewhat strictly Sunday-Thursday…which gives me the ability to eat loosely on Friday night and all day Saturday.

The “Low Carb” Strategy

I believe the low carb strategy works extremely well in conjunction with creating a calorie deficit (the strategy above). So when people eat low carb (Paleo, Primal, Atkins, Slow Carb, etc)…in a calorie deficit…they will lose body fat rapidly.

The main strength of eating low carb is that it keeps your insulin levels stable. Your body won’t burn fat when insulin levels are high. Low carb dieting keeps your body in fat burning mode by preventing insulin spikes.

How I implement this strategy: I love carbs, so I would be bummed if I had to eat low carb all the time. What I like to do is eat zero to low carbs throughout the day. This keeps my energy levels stable when I’m working. I like to eat most of my carbs at dinner, since this is the time I like to slow down and relax. So I’m burning fat all day…and temporarily halting the fat burning process at night.

A more effective strategy: My strategy isn’t “ideal” from a fat loss perspective, but I make it work because I wanted to structure my day like that. A better approach is to eat the majority of your carbs in the meal that follows your workout…and eat lower carb for all of your other meals. I train in the morning and I like my biggest meal to be dinner, so this won’t work for me. A better approach from a fat loss perspective would be to train after work, right before dinner (something I’m unwilling to do).

The “Intermittent Fasting” Strategy

There are several amazing benefits of intermittent fasting. Brad Pilon made a really compelling video showing how fasting has similar effects on the body as exercise: Intermittent Fasting Has Similar Effects on the Body as Intense Exercise.

The nice thing about intermittent fasting is that it accomplishes both of the goals of the two methods above simultaneously. It helps create a calorie deficit and keeps insulin levels stable.

How I implement this strategy: I simply like to use intermittent fasting as a way to get my calories down a bit throughout the week. I don’t do it every week anymore, but I’ll fast until dinner on Mondays and the occasional Wednesday or Thursday. This just gives me the ability to eat loosely on Fri, Sat, and Sun…without gaining a bunch of weight.

Some Different Takes on Intermittent Fasting:

The “Small Meals Every Few Hours” Strategy

This strategy does not work for me, because I like to feast…but I think this is a strategy that can work for well for some people.

I put up a poll on my Facebook Page seeing if men and women preferred to eat small meals more frequently or larger meals less frequently. A large portion of men liked large, less frequent meals…and women were about 50/50.

Some people are wired to eat every few hours.

How to implement this strategy: As long as the portions are small this works well. You can create a calorie deficit and have stable insulin levels…which leads to weight loss. I’ve seen just as many people get lean eating this way as I have seen using intermittent fasting to get lean.

Some suggest women do better following this strategy: My personal experience has been that a good portion of women do best when they eat a little more frequently than men. I never knew the reason for this, until recently. Mark Sisson does a great job of explaining the concept in this post: Women and Intermittent Fasting.

The “Aggressive Low Calorie” Strategy

There are a many variations of this. Basically we are talking about a super-low calorie aggressive short-term 2-3 week diet…and possibly up to 8 weeks. Here is an outline of one I put up on my Facebook Page: Rapid Fat Loss Diet Plan – My 2 Shakes and Chicken Salad Diet. These types of diets are “vacation prep” type of diets.

How to implement this strategy: I don’t use this type of dieting anymore, because my goal is to be in “maintenance mode” for life…meaning that I never want to get out of shape again. Also, I’m not concerned with dipping down to 6% body fat anymore. I’m content with sticking around the 8-12% range these days. For those people who do like to get in crazy shape for an event, this type of diet does the trick. Just use it 1-2 times per year 2-8 weeks out from an event. Note: Some people should never attempt this as it can make some them especially irritable.

The “Cheat Day” Strategy

The idea behind the cheat day is to eat higher calories at least once per week to boost leptin levels and keep the metabolism high. Some people recommend eating as much as you want, one day per week, and others recommend a more moderate approach.

How I implement this strategy: I like the more moderate approach and simply like to up the calorie intake by eating somewhat loosely on the weekends. It seems to do the trick of keeping the leptin levels from crashing. More importantly, it allows me to live life, have fun, socialize, etc. Here is a good article which explains the positives and negatives of cheat days: Cheat Days Explained.

My Hybrid Diet Summary:

Here’s a quick bulletpoints summary of my Hybrid Diet.

• A weekly calorie deficit.
  • Strong deficit Mon-Thursday.
  • Cheating a bit Fri, Sat, and sometimes Sun.
  • Low’ish carbs and calories during the day.
  • Medium to high carbs and biggest meal at night.
  • Intermittent fasting 1-2 times per week (part of the year).

Note: I also do my cardio routine on the days I eat strictly.

Setting Up Your Own Hybrid Diet

Remember, the most important principle is eating in a way that creates a calorie deficit. If you can do that in a way that minimizes insulin spikes, it will make your diet that much more effective.

It really is about that simple…the trick is to do it in a way that is easy for you and doesn’t feel like torture.

Chris Hughes June 26, 2012 at 7:30 am

I’ve done a combination of a few of these as well Rusty. My main diet is a combo of slow-carb and small meals every few hours. I haven’t tried intermittent fasting yet so might incorporate that as well. Definitely going to read more about it and see if it’s something I can see myself doing.

Michael @SomebodyLied.com June 26, 2012 at 7:31 am

I do something quite similar in terms of a hybrid diet. I eat lean gains style on weekdays which as you know is a combination of intermittent fasting, paleo on rest days, refeeds on training days.

On weekends I still eat at a calorie deficit if I am cutting or around maintenance but eat anything I like. I relax the fasting and typically eat whenever I feel hungry on weekends. The control I have allows this method to work.

This method allows me to lose about 0.5-1lb of fat per week, which is really slow but makes the diet feel effortless.

Yavor- Relative Strength Advantage June 26, 2012 at 7:43 am

I eat similarly. I know people who are ripped to shreds doing hard core paleo, but I know it is not for everybody as it is socially restrictive.

Casey June 26, 2012 at 7:44 am

My biggest issue with avoiding carbs is that I love Asian and Mexican food, which often seem empty unless I get to eat rice with them. I found a recipe for chopped cauliflower that, when steamed, behaves very much like rice. Now it’s the only rice I eat. Great at 25 cal/cup as opposed to 200 cal/ .25 cup.

lowcarbdiets.about…caulirice.htm

Troy June 26, 2012 at 7:49 am

Rusty, I love the name “Hybrid Dieting”. As I read the post I realized how I use the same type of strategies – a little of this, a little of that. My schedule directs the choice most of the time. Make smart choices, but don’t beat yourself up about it. Tracking weekly is much more forgiving but still very effective.

I was on a long bout of intermittent fasting, then hit a wall where I just didn’t feel like I had the energy I should. So … I changed it up, again.

-Troy

Greg - Kinobody Fitness June 26, 2012 at 8:05 am

Very effective strategy Rusty!

I love how you save your carbs at night during the week. This is something I started doing automatically in the past as it helped me stick to a low calorie diet.

If I ever do a big cheat day I like to follow it up with a 22-24 hour fast. However I prefer to utilize high carb / low fat refeeds on my lifting days 3x per week instead of an all out cheat day once per week. While this is more strict I find it to be more effective.

Greg.

Chris June 26, 2012 at 8:08 am

I love this post Rusty, I basically eat the hybrid diet as well. I use intermittent fasting, paleo eating, light eating in general, and a strategic exercise routine to help my maintain the look and body I want. If I start to add inches, or obvious pounds I eat more paleo for a few days, do a fast and let things balance out again where they need to be.

I love the freedom to be able to really eat when there is some good stuff, and not have to worry about it. When there is less attractive food (like during the week) I just eat light and save room for the good stuff!

Irene Ryan June 26, 2012 at 8:17 am

Great post Rusty, i follow a similar regime to your good self, i get my carbs from fruit and veg and have given up all bread, pasta, rice and other starchy carbs monday to friday, saturday and sunday i eat out and allow myself whatever i fancy, as u said have to live life and life is too short, i find this is keeping me in maintenance mode, thanks again for the very informative hybid dieting post i’m a huge fan of your fitnessblackbook

Gio June 26, 2012 at 8:41 am

Hello Rusty,
I like this flexible/hybrid approach. Personally I found hard the very low carb approach Mon-Thu. I know you recommend that (I’ve the VI Cardio) but I honestly think this is not for all.

One question: Have you had the chance to read recent variations to the Warrior Diet ? — don’t know if I can mention these.
thanks

Mitchell - Home Fitness Manual June 26, 2012 at 8:41 am

It’s good to see others also mix different eating styles and make it their own. I’m going to have to borrow your “Hybrid Dieting” term for when I’m trying to describe my meal plans to my co-workers.

-Mitchell

phil June 26, 2012 at 9:30 am

useful post. at 6’1″ & 175 lbs i’m very happy with where i am, so i aim for only maintenance in all things diet and excercise. fasting never appealed much to me as i always end up ravenous and craving every speck of refined carb in sight, so i aim for a just-sub maintenence calorie diet with a focus on minimal and low-gi carbs, which sorts me out nicely. i don’t go bonkers on high protein, but try to stay nutritionally balanced and making sure that i do a short weight or cardio session every day to ensure metabolic momentum and to maintain current build and composition. cheers rusty!

Drew Nemer June 26, 2012 at 9:35 am

My diet and nutrition is based on getting muscle growth with fat loss for a six pack

I go paleo 7 days a week. Workout 4-5 days. 1 day of hiit cardio for 15 minutes. Low carb as well. I do at most 125 grams of carbs a day. I eat about 1.8 x grams of protein a day. Also I do about 120 grams of good fats. I limIt sugar and sodium. Sodium to less than 3000. Sugar to less than 60. I eat in Total around 2300 calories a day with plenty of water.

I am on phase one of visual impact. But I do half the legs workout day because I have already large legs.

Last Sunday I attempted my first 24 hour fast from eat stop eat. I ate breakfast so I can take Meds. And I fasted till the same time the next day. Still debating on the fasting idea because I don’t know if it is healthy for me or counteractive to my strives to gain 3 lbs in muscle with less body fat.

My supplements are from Poliqion; Fenuplex for incilin control, ΓΌber nutrients (multi vitamin), omega 3, amino acids, bcaa, whey supreme 2.0, and alpha gpc.

Betty Rocker June 26, 2012 at 9:47 am

I love this article – there is no “one size fits all” when it comes to our daily diet in my opinion. Getting as much knowledge as you can and trying multiple aproaches gives you the freedom to organically develop a “what works for your body” approach. Personally, I follow paleo about 80% of the time, but leave my options open for days when I’m socializing or eating out.
I tend to eat about 4-5 times a day, but have days where that just doesn’t work out. I like knowing that different eating strategies can also be healthy – it reduces my stress around not being able to follow my favorite plan.
Consequently, my body looks awesome and I don’t feel guilty for having the occasional ice cream sundae or piece of pie.

Al Pinton June 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

Great reading! After too many years of overweight I’m getting fairly close to my goal weight. I’m still lousy at counting calories but I can see the rewards of doing it, and all the approaches you present make the whole procedure very flexible.

Frank June 26, 2012 at 9:58 am

Great post Rusty! Thanks to you all of my fitness goals are on track and I will succeed! I have been following ur advice to the letter strict the last 2 months and I almost don’t recognize myself!! All thanks and appreciation my friend.

Mike Mortgan June 26, 2012 at 10:28 am

Good post Rusty. It got me thinking; maybe it would be a good idea to “periodize” my dieting just like I periodize training . In general, if you have a specific goal for a period of time, then essentially you are using periodization. Use Aggressive Low calorie approach for 2 week Microcycle, followed by IF for 2 month Mesocycle, and then Cheat period before returning the next microcycle.

Derek June 26, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I tend to think the best approach to dieting is to look for what most experts agree on, and focus on practicality more than ideology which would amount to a degree of mix and matching like you’ve presented Rusty.

It’s great that you give a variety of options as it gives a certain sense of freedom, although I’ve noticed some people prefer to have someone tell them exactly what to do and have trouble thinking through things for themselves.

To me though, it’s critical that we can analyze the benefits of each approach and find out what works best for our individual lifestyles. That means letting go of being too dogmatic about things; which is essential to always be learning and discovering new approaches.

Kris Rocco June 26, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Hey Rusty your buddy Kris from nyc..you forgot the high carb strategy..its the holy grail…not kidding man lost nearly 20 lbs now doing about 80 percent carbs and fat is just melting off..i will send you a copy of my book when done rusty hope u are well!
Kris NYC

Paul June 26, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Great post Rusty! Most people don’t realize that if you once you get to a good place physically you can actually go out have a few beers and a burger without gaining any weight. I prefer a low carb/intermittent fasting diet myself. Keep the posts coming!

Zorik June 26, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Great post Rusty!

I also follow a similar “hybrid diet”.
I do low carb Paleo 6 days per week.
Lean gains fasting everyday- 2 meals per day coz its just easier:)
I have lost over 20 pounds since January eating this way!

I still haven’t reached my goal weight yet. So you mentioned earlier that you workout in morning and don’t have carbs till dinner? I thought its best to have carbs after your resistance workout?

I started training bodyweight resistance 3 days per week and only have carbs on those days right after the workout. And 2 days of HIIT plus steady state cardio on non resistance days with no/low carbs. Hopefully that will help me reach 10% body fat by next year:)

Jeff June 26, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Ya Rusty!

Great post! I myself put the different styles of dieting into a hybrid diet by prioritizing the following:

1. Calories In, Calories Out
2. Lean gains-style fasting
3. Low carb on rest days

James Duffy June 26, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I’m in the same boat. I don’t see a need to restrict my diet options (low carb, low fat, paleo or whatever), because I’ve found a way to get in good shape eating whatever I want. Here’s what I do:

– Replace breakfast with coffee (leangains style daily fasting)
– Eat a big lunch and dinner (usually one of these is low carb, the other is whatever)
– If I’m going to eat a high-carb meal, workout sometime beforehand to deplete my muscles of glycogen
– Occasionally stuff myself (cheat day), then push myself harder in my workouts or eat light / low-carb for the next day or two.
– Do some sort of exercise every day

That’s basically it. I don’t eat “clean” at all. Some of the meals I eat are ridiculous, to the point that you can’t even call what I do “dieting.” Yet I have a six-pack and am making gains toward my goals. Weekly calories in / calories out works, even if I don’t bother to count my calories. If you want to eat something unhealthy, just compensate by eating less with your other meals.

I feel bad for those who feel the need to eat paleo or low-carb all the time. I eat pasta, burgers, cookies, ice cream, cake, etc. And I do it every week πŸ˜‰

Clint - Crude Fitness June 26, 2012 at 2:49 pm

No doubt about it β€” flexible eating strategies are the key to a life time of results. Sticking to one method is about as exciting as never ‘mixing up’ your gym routine.
Nice post mate…

Don June 26, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I have had a lot of success with the Renegade Diet, a version of IF. I like the idea of a hybrid diet, and might have to experiment with it. Great Post!

Bartimaus June 26, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I need to look into the regular intermittent fasting thing. I rarely fast and when I do, it is usually for prayer. I always hear that fasting is so terrible for a diet but it sounds like a viable part. The best thing for weight loss for me is a combination of depression and working second shift, both of which, I hate.

Austin @ No Nonsense Fitness Tips June 26, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I never knew what to call my diet until today! Just like you and a few others in the comment section, my diet is a combination of all the diets you listed.

Some days I’m primal, others I’m warrior, and others I’m low carb.

I like your recommendation to be stricter from Sun-Thurs. I hate having to restrict myself on Friday and Saturday nights.

Lorenzo June 27, 2012 at 1:05 am

Hi Rusty!
I love your blog, it changed the way I look and the way I feel so deeply in the last months.
So first of all “Thak you!”.

I need your view.
When you follow the “Aggressive low calories” strategy and you end up losing too much weight (I think partially because of the depleted muscle) but you have still to lose some BF, what is the best to do?
Being less aggressive for a while?

Martin June 27, 2012 at 9:14 am

Speaking as an IF refugee, I think people need to be really careful before going too far with fasting. Trust me, for some people intense training combined with IF can really mess up your metabolism.

brad June 27, 2012 at 10:36 am

uh– so if you’re at a weekly calorie deficeit and life is made up of weeks, that would make you an anorexic. That also makes this site pro anorexia.

Niko - no eXcuse fitness June 27, 2012 at 2:49 pm

@ brad, I think the above advice about Hybrid Dieting to be labelled as pro anorexic is a about as educated as calling all bodybuilding sites pro muscle dysmorphia. Anorexia Nervosa is an eating disorder characterized by markedly reduced appetite or total aversion to food. Anorexia is a serious psychological disorder. It is a condition that goes well beyond dieting. Seriously mate, Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers would have some serious issues if the world subscribed to your interpretation of Anorexia.

@ Rusty, great run down on different options available to people looking to get into shape.

Niko

Tim June 28, 2012 at 2:32 am

I am 5’7″. Blew out to 88kg (I think 200lbs). Am now 62kg (around 140lbs). Over two years.

Did it via: minimal white carbs (bread, grains). Still ate rice. Mainly protein and fat (from meat, avos, milk etc).

Now, I ride about 300-400km a week on the bike. I do a lot of physical work (we own 10 acres with animals and trees/agri crops).

I run, and do short HIIT.

Body fat around 7%.

I eat a lot of seed + meat protein (I formulated my own seed based protein cereal home-made-version-of-kapai-puku/) but have a lot of treats (home made muffins, etc).

I think a weekly calorie deficit is key. After speaking to a sports dietician – it doesn’t matter what you eat (within reason), just be sensible. HIIT, cardio, etc, calorie deficit and you’ll be fine.

Ryan June 28, 2012 at 11:21 am

I just recently started the bonus phase of VI this week. I’m mixing up my diet a bit while still keeping my calories low, carbs low and protein high. My concern is that the hypertrophy + creatine will cause my to lose the hard/dense/defined muscles I’ve spent the past 2 months creating. I know this particular phase is only 3-4 weeks long but I won’t want to look soft and puffy. I know you’ve said within VI that you would retain the hard density but how?

Josh June 29, 2012 at 5:09 am

Great article Rusty. I’ve seen a lot of authors blasting the “calories in, calories out” theory. But making sure I consume fewer calories than I burn has been the best strategy I have found to stay lean. I personally do a daily calorie deficit and take a cheat day or two on the weekend. These cheat days used to be an epic trilogy of pizza, fried food, and ice cream…now they are just a cheat meal or two. I can no longer handle a full day of deep-fried saturated fat ;). Guess I’m getting old.

zaini June 29, 2012 at 2:27 pm

yeah , right , when you start journey of losing weight then your goal is to burn calories more then you take in. when i start my weight lose journey , i measure calories in eatables which i daily eat and after eating , i drink green tea for burning calories or go for walk.

Alykhan - Fitness Breakout June 29, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I take a similar approach to dieting. Once you become aware of the principles and the effects various eating plans have on satiety, mood, fat loss, etc. then you can customize the best eating plan for you to achieve your goals.

I also prefer to eat very strict and low carb during the week so that I can indulge a little more on weekends. Timing carbs after workouts is also something that has helped curb fat gain on binge days.

Alykhan

Becky June 29, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I am just starting my fitness goals- inspired by a book written by Steve Amoils, M.D. & Sandi Amoils, M.D. titled, “Get Well & Stay Well.” I have been working on diet, now it is time for exercise. I have picked up some great tips from your post. Thank you!

Mike July 1, 2012 at 5:42 am

Great Article. I like to keep low on the carbs myself as personally that works well for me, but also like to mix it up. I mainly go by what my body tells me and stick to H.I.I.T.

Good Work!

Aaron July 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Hey Rusty, great post! I’ve used many of these strategies with great success, works like a charm.

Was wondering if maybe for a future article you could do something on fat cell turnover or hyperplasia of fat cells. There’s seems to be a lot of opinions floating around with what actually is the case and not enough scientific proof.

If you could find some studies and talk about it that’d be great! I have a few buddies who get discouraged because they feel like they’ve gotten too big and even if they slim down, they’ve “created” new fat cells and they say it would be harder to keep fit.

To me its just an excuse but I’ve always been lean so I can’t relate with them.

If you could submit a post with facts about what it actually takes for fat cells to multiply (how fat you actually have to get) and some hope for those out there.

I know a lot of people in the bodybuilding community have to rethink bulking and cutting because there is risk of fat cell hyperplasia. Some facts though on the topic would be great.

Cheers!

Alvin @ how to lose weight quickly July 2, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I’ve tried intermittent fasting, and also being in a big calorie deficit, but I notice that the best way to lose weight easily without stripping away any muscle is a four day carb cyle, where you eat low carbs on three days, and high carbs on the fourth day. Repeat this sequence until your body reaches the ideal you want. This method is also recommended by Scooby and Rob Riches

Monos July 3, 2012 at 6:39 am

The ebook, The Back Pain Choice is written by Jon V. Monos. A back pain suffer for over 35 years. Diagnosed with all of the following: scoliosis, sciatica, herniated disc, facet joint syndrome, degenerative disc disease, arthritis and bulging disc. Jon V. figured out the establishment was going to put him in an early grave, or make him an invalid, or both. He made the choice to do something about it. No more injections, narcotics or quacks trying the latest greatest gimmicks. Find out how you can help save your own life from back pain. Jon V. has never had surgery on his back although doctors have wanted to place steel rods, fuse and burn nerves in his back. This ebook is one hundred percent guaranteed. Also you may want to get the handbook which has all the great information, but in written form. 100% guaranteed. It is up to you to do for yourself what others will not. Make the Back Pain Choice Now today. Find out more from here…
ebookonbackpain.com.
thebackpainchoice.com

chnlove com July 12, 2012 at 11:54 pm

It looks so delicious,I want to have a taste!

Daniel July 13, 2012 at 9:49 am

I dont follow any specific diet either mine is just my own and does incorporate a few of the different types of diets but i wouldn’t say im on a diet as per say lol.. i just eat how and when i need to eat. I do make sure i get enough protien thoughout the day and my diet is mostly low carb but thats just how i eat it isnt part of “my diet”
I dont believe in diets that people should follow because everyones body is different so you find one may work well for one person but not for another. By all means take the basics of one diet but adapt it to your own needs.. i mean lets face it would are not going to stick to a diet you hate and that your body reacts badly too..

Roberta Saum July 14, 2012 at 8:38 am

Rusty, I absolutely LOVE this article. You have covered all basis. Very nice. Very useful. This is a keeper for me.
-Roberta

Harry July 15, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Hi all,
This post has provided comprehensive view of all the different diets around. Not all diets are suitable for everyone. With so much conflicting advice and weight-loss options, how do you know which diet is the best for you? And which weight-loss programs really work?
First, you will need to know your body type and lifestyle. For example, what has your past experience with other diets been? What is your budget? What is your preference? Secondly, you will need to consult a doctor to review any weight loss problems you have and set a weight loss goal for you.

Hope all these advice helps! πŸ™‚

Luke M-Davies July 16, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I like the term “Hybrid Dieting” but as I am anti-diets – perhaps “Hybrid Eating” is a better option for me!

On the Calories-In/Calories-Out, I have to admit that I’ve never done calorie counting – it is a bit too much effort and restrictive. I understand for those struggling to lose weight, it may be the safest approach to make sure you get the right weight loss equation for your body. I’m not sure it is sustainable though and cannot imagine eating by numbers. Just keep active throughout the week and you should naturally find your balance once at your target weight.

As I find it easy to exercise in starvation mode after waking, IF and EatStopEat have been very effective calorie-restriction options. I am most alert and have some great workouts in this state. I always feel more ‘detoxed’ after an short fast of around 16-18 hours. I have shared how effective it can be to ‘Cardio-Fast’ – http://www.lmdfitness.com/training/cardio-fasting-fat-loss/

Great summary article Rusty – helps to put many myths aside too!
Luke

Lorii Abela July 17, 2012 at 8:11 am

Great article, Rusty!.. Absolutely, very helpful and useful to all who want to get the right diet and be fit. Thanks for sharing.

Richard July 17, 2012 at 10:03 am

I know what works for me because I’ve experimented over the years and that’s what you need to do, not slavishly stick to any one diet but do what works for you.

James July 23, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I found that a hybrid approach like this works well for me too. I can go most of the day feeling great without carbs but at night I don’t sleep very well unless I eat some either at dinner or before bed.

Full Body Workout July 25, 2012 at 3:07 am

I am all for the calorie in/out method. I have tried a few and the eating right calories and burning them, is the best option for me.

John D July 26, 2012 at 8:47 am

You are dead on correct. People just don’t get it, no matter how often they have heard this advice

Joaquin August 1, 2012 at 10:05 pm

The hybrid diet is essential and almost individual to everyone. People are created in so many different ways that not one way or specific technique may work for everyone one. If so then everything would be easy and and thus boring. Body types and lifestyles range so much that a generalizations based on certain types is helpful but never exact. The hybrid diet is some what of an explanation of what people should focus on.

This also relates back to their goals and intentions which may ultimately some what dictate or direct their hybrid diet. A little taste of everything make for a better overall product and being able to know and understand when specific diets are needed or necessary is very helpful in general knowledge of ones own health. The ability to discover what combinations of diets work is necessary and should be a persons goal in their life of longevity.

anna August 6, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Question:

I’ve never been overweight but have unsuccessfully tried for years to lose 5-10 pounds (mostly because I desperately want a flatter stomach–that’s where I seem to hold my weight).

I’m currently 5’0″ and 106 pounds, and it seems like I should eat 1500ish cal/day to maintain that. if I want to lose weight (pound a week, say) that would mean I’d have to be doing 1000 cal/day….which just seems impossible! How do I go about this?

Alan Crawley August 7, 2012 at 2:15 am

Good post Rusty. Like exercising, I think people are guilty (and naturally drawn) to saying this method is better than that method. In terms of sticking to a healthy diet and lifestyle I think taking your hybrid approach is the best way. And IMHO once people are sticking to eating food (not products) then I don’t think you can go far wrong. Keep the posts coming, I really like the implementation sidenotes. Alan

Jim Rollince August 8, 2012 at 7:57 am

Hello,
I have a quick question about your blog. Could you please email me?
– Jim

Jared August 8, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Trying this idea out myself at the moment. My only problem is not going too crazy on cheat day – my willpower is really getting tested!

Dennis Blair @ Fort Collins Personal Trainer August 10, 2012 at 3:17 am

I was following a diet plan which was not effective at all rather caused me weakness. Looking to follow the hybrid diet plan. Thanks for sharing.

Ryan - Beyond Weight Loss Tips August 10, 2012 at 9:46 pm

It is quite hard to maintain all the time counting how much calories to lose weight. But with the hybrid dieting you just said Rusty it makes all sense that aim for a certain calorie deficit most of the days in the week.

First time I tried extreme diets it felt like torture and it was quite hard to keep up. but reading almost all of the articles from your blog made me design my diet that aims measurable results without having to change my social life.

Keep it up!

idateasia reviews August 16, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Great post! I’ve been wondering lately – why it seems like everybody has been looking in the same places for the inspiration and you give answers. Thank you for the insight!

Eric - A Fit Physique August 17, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I like the overall ‘calorie deficit’ you give yourself over a longer period of time…it’s an easy way to track your progress and allows you to be flexible when life doesn’t allow you to stick to strict diets.

Personal Trainer August 21, 2012 at 2:57 am

Keeping track of my calories is incredibly difficult, I often forget. I’ve noticed a lot of people fasting lately, the intermittent approach seems to be quite popular.

Paulina August 22, 2012 at 10:16 am

Different diets work well for different people. Some eat a lot at night, some in the morning, some like fruit , etc etc. I wrote more about which diet fits which person here http://www.fatlosscheetah.com/fatloss/how-to-choose-the-best-fat-loss-diet-for-you/

TNewk August 22, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I believe you can hit a plateau even using intermittent fasting. I have done great on IF for 5 weeks at 5’11 I went from 194 to 182, then it stopped for 11 days. Even threw in some 24 hour fasts. It’s as if my body acclimated to the IF. So, I’m taking a 3 day break. Eating way more and then I’ll get back into the fasting again. See if that works.

Darren - Lertno's Training August 26, 2012 at 9:53 am

Great post Rusty. There are so many options out there and the key is to just find the best one for your lifestyle. I have gotten results with the 6 small meals a day but eventually it turned into 6 medium meals and so on. I find that intermittent fasting is the best for me cause I can do it whenever I need to and I’ve also tried the 2 meals a day diet. I find that the best time to not eat for me is the morning. Once I start with a meal then I want more.

Sly August 27, 2012 at 11:56 am

I have emailed you a few weeks ago about a link to my Abs 1.0 Blueprint that isn’t working anymore. It says “Error loading link, then takes me back to the page that asks me to like it on FB (which I did some time ago) Hope we can get this resolved soon, would like to get started on it again soon! Thanks

zep101 August 29, 2012 at 6:47 am

Love your article. I am just learning about paleo eating and watching carbs and insulin is very important for us borderline diabetics. Thanks for the info.

Matthew Beavers August 31, 2012 at 11:57 am

That is interesting that you mentioned eating loosely on Saturday. Normally my cheat day is on Saturdays too. I don’t go crazy but I do cheat some.

I am currently following your 2 shakes and a chicken salad diet. With a low calorie nut and fruit bar in the afternoon. It can make you irritable, but I don’t care as long as I look good for the beach.

I am currently taking a stab at the blood type diet. Do you know anything about it Rusty?

Jon August 31, 2012 at 3:06 pm

“This strategy does not work for me, because I like to feast” I hear ya on this one. Sound approach. It’s the big picture / vision approach. Plan caloric intake/calories burned from a quasi bird’s eye level being the entire week. Makes it more palatable.

Another tip: Burn more calories. Go for a walk/run an extra time or two a week. It’s not that hard. But you gotta know your numbers such as calories burned and consumed. Once you know these, it’s easy to adjust as necessary week-to-week.

Victor Jonsson August 31, 2012 at 11:51 pm

This is an awesome article. Gonna read it again after posting this comment. Have a nice weekend!

Matt Hensarling September 3, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Hey whats up Rusty, havent been here in awhile, for a couple of years I studied this website like you were going to grade me on it or something. The info works man. My body now looks exactly like how i’ve always wanted it to, thank you so much Rusty!

p.s.
I’ve always enjoyed your “cheesy” movie clips and monoluges like that Roadhouse one, “Be nice.” lol. Your cool man. I wish you the best in everything you do, peace.

GWarrior September 4, 2012 at 5:32 am

Great post!

I like the concept of “Hybrid Dieting” and I try to use the similar approach myself.

I like to experiment from various diets and find what works best for my body. Once I find sometime that shows progress, I begin to incorporate this into my regular nutritional plan.

As everybody’s body is different, I find that generic diets will not and cannot help everyone. Finding what works for you is the best way!

Mihai @ Female Bodybuilding September 6, 2012 at 6:03 am

Great post, thanks for sharing! I believe in the efficacy of low carb diets and I think its a really good and healthy strategy for all the people who wants to get in shape. I think it is very important to have balance in everything, so if in one day you consume more calorie, I think will be good to do a bit more exercise than usual. And the most important is Never Give Up!

Thanks,
Mihai,

Mike Foze September 6, 2012 at 6:26 am

I agree with this 100% Rusty.

TOO many guys these days are caught up in the idea of solely focusing on one diet.

You’ve got to change it up a bit.

Jeffrey| water aerobics equipment September 9, 2012 at 10:58 pm

There’s no shoes which fit everyone. There are exercises which may work for you but won’t work for others. Personally, I think everyone should understand his needs, his enthusiasm for losing weight first and then choose a sport he’s truly interested in. You may look at other people’s working out plan for reference, but do not follow exactly what they do!

Cardologist In Delhi September 19, 2012 at 2:34 am

make experiment from various diets and find what works best for body. For good helth, heart should be strong and healthy.

[email protected] September 19, 2012 at 8:20 am

I agree with Alan above, yes, eating food not products, that’s the big difference.

Sick Guy September 25, 2012 at 6:27 am

i recently was cured of ulcerative colitis, but in the meantime my colon wall was basically destroyed. to speed up the recovery process, i have had to adopt the diet found on http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/. It is called the “Specific Carbonhydrate Diet” and I am surprised I didnt see it mentioned here because some of its principles could be of use in these forums. also: the principles are based in scientific research.

What is the SCD? In a nutshell, it eliminates all refined sugars from the diet. BUT this also includes grains, starches, as well as lactose, since these are defined as “complex sugars”, with the scienfic term being “disaccharides” for double-chained sugars and “polysaccharides” for starch. For suffers of IBD like myself, the colon struggles to process anything more than “simple sugars”.

This diet is extremely hard to follow. The book is basically very extreme in its approach, and without a medical reason the diet isnt worth following. I dont follow it exactly 100% myself since I can tolerate small amounts of grain. But everything else I dont eat. But I need the recipes from the book or else I would go insane. πŸ™‚

The amazing side effect? My “normal weight” is 165 pounds and I am 6 foot 1 inch. When I started this diet, I automatically went to 155 pounds without doing any additional exercise except walking, or any fasting or skipping meals. And I “get ripped” as well, without additional intense cardio. Nothing i have ever tried worked before this diet; not fasting, “elimination diets”, etc. so I guess I have found something that works for me. But its weird being at a low weight and “feeling ok” still, with no muscle mass loss. The acne on my back also dissapeared! Give it a try and see how you feel.

Urologist in Delhi September 26, 2012 at 2:24 am

[email protected] Wanted September 27, 2012 at 2:21 am

Peruse the internet and you will find someone having success with just about everything, even the twinkie diet! In the end it really matters what works for you not someone else. If you found something that works for your goals, stick with it till it doesn’t despite what others may say. Don’t be afraid to experiment and create a hybrid as Rusty thoroughly discussed. Also, don’t assume something won’t work till you try it on yourself. Look at intermittent fasting, it polarizes people. Many have had success but some won’t even try it because in their mind it can’t work. That said, it is important to “buy-in” to the method you’re using for long term success. Rusty found what works for him both physically and mentally. If your stuck, taking action and experimenting is your best course of action. Create your own hybrid. Analyzing something in your head isn’t going to get you to your goal. Think what we would all look like if it did.

Antonio October 1, 2012 at 12:57 pm

You’re right on track Rusty. Overall you need a calorie deficit but there can be numerous ways to reach that deficit. Myself I hydrate myself constantly and have increased my intake of fruit and vegetables. Over time you develop a taste for bananas, apples and broccoli and nuts. My cheat is a loaded baked potato.

PK October 2, 2012 at 11:32 am

Thanks Rusty.
I had been stuck on 30 kilos in each hand for dumbbell bench press and in the space of about 7 or 8 weeks I’m up to 37 kilos in each hand.
You make it easy to achieve targets, thanks
PK

eric October 3, 2012 at 11:35 am

I lift M/W/F with HIIT cardio after weights on Mon & Wed. Then I typically do low intensity cardio and core on Tu/Th. I want to try the 24 hr fasts (Eat-Stop-Eat) on Tu/Th. Would you recommend this w/ the low intensity cardio on those days still?

FitPinner October 11, 2012 at 9:29 am

Dieting is like religion.. a bunch of people who have invested so much time in developing a system that works for them, they firmly believe nobody else could be right or know nearly as much. Visit any body building forum.. and enjoy the entertainment.
Eat clean and develop a system that works for you!

Lilitte October 13, 2012 at 7:12 am

You are by far my favorite fitness blogger of all time. Thanks for your diet post…love it!

I will be referencing you a lot in my blogs if you don’t mind. My diet is pretty similar. Low carb M-F with a calorie deficit, Friday night, Saturday and Sunday cheats. Tried eat stop eat, although I thought was effective was a wrong fit for me.

Liz October 13, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Yes, carb cycling works very well! I used that to get ready for a bikini comp…I wasn’t losing then drastically dropped my carbs and bam! Awesome results πŸ™‚ Now, working on losing 10 lbs and learning to maintain that leaner look.

Mike Foze October 15, 2012 at 10:21 am

I agree 100% with this article. It’s best to mix the concepts and principles of the best diets and then create effectively your own diet yourself.

You don’t need to follow IF completely and you don’t need to follow Carb Cycling completely. You might even achieve the best results by combining the two.

You’ve got to experiment.

Lilo October 15, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Ah, funny! We have almost an identical approach when it comes to food! I must say, it’s a quite comfy dieting strategy! πŸ™‚

Apron Appeal October 17, 2012 at 1:34 pm

This is how I eat most days too, but every time I go into a fitness expert I’m told to make sure I don’t go lower than 1200 caloric intake a day. Where does that come from? If I have more than enough fat on me to fill the void why am I told not to go under that number?

Glenn October 22, 2012 at 4:26 am

I think everyone needs to learn “hybrid dieting”. No one way can work for everyone all the time. I like that you stand up for carbs later in the day. Nice strategy. Thanks.

Dennis Blair @ Fort Collins Personal Trainer October 26, 2012 at 1:39 pm

You know, this makes sense. I am tired of the “one size fits all” mentality that all of these weight loss programs have. Every single person is different on how their body responds to weight loss. My philosophy is if you are as strict as most of these programs are about your nutrition and food choices, then ultimately you will fail. Be sensible and practice what works for you. There are many options out there.

Lena October 30, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Rusty, I absolutely love calorie in & calorie out strategy. Among all of the other diets this works so well.

Fitness Wayne | Paleo Diet, Strength Training and Weight Loss October 31, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Personally I go with the paleo diet and intermittent fasting approach. I am going to start experimenting with ketosis for accelerated fat burn.

Seth November 3, 2012 at 11:46 am

Totally agree on hybridizing the various approaches, totally agree that there should be close to a deficit while avoiding careless insulin spikes. Totally also think that it will vary even more based on desired outcomes:

I’m bulking, but on occasion want to ‘observe’ my progress in the mirror- BAM- insert a carb back load [not religiously, but on occasion]. That turns the sacred cows of both calorie deficit, and not spiking insulin late in the day completely on their heads.

Nate Anglin November 9, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Hey Rusty. The “hybrid diet” is really the only way to stay sane. It gives you the flexibility to try new things, but also to keep your physique. As a business professional, a low carb diet isn’t always the best for me since be brain functions when I’m eating a good portion of fruit, veggies, and grains depending on what the intensity of my workout will be (i.e. 60 minutes of boxing and plyometrics)

GD November 16, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Hey there Rusty!
I just wanted to know that does building abs harm the growth of height? I’m currently 5’8” and 17 yrs old. Also if you could tell me some tips on how to grow taller.

Thanks a ton!

CrossFit Aeon November 22, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Great post Rusty. Diet is such a critical element. We are all about eating Paleo / Primal and our CrossFit clients have gotten extremely great results from eating this way, not the least of which is fat loss. However, you’ve gotta live a little too so unless you’ve got severe intolerances, we tend to recommend eating 100% Paleo 80% of the time. That feels like a nice balance. It’s sustainable too.

Mark December 10, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Cherry picking is a brilliant idea. If no two bodies are the same then why should the optimal diet…

If you find an aspect of one diet that works, go for it, if you find another that complements the other diet, then go for that too.

Deryk DeGuzman January 15, 2013 at 5:25 pm

What I love about this post is that it promotes a “choose your own adventure” approach to dieting that I’ve long thought would be beneficial to people, given that every single person is different.

For too long there’s been an “old school martial arts” approach to fitness concepts, including nutrition: pick one method and stick to it. I believe that understanding a multitude of concepts and running with them yields the most benefit. Thank you for reinforcing that with this post!

Michael March 7, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Hey Rusty, just wondering that if I were to do the “EAT-STOP-EAT” diet, should I do cardio and work out during the fasting days? Or is it better to do nothing on those days?

Michael March 7, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Also I was wondering which of the two you would recommend as a fat burning supplement, as you have mentioned both of these, Leptiburn or Shred 360. I am about 12% bodyfat and am trying to get down to 7% in 4 months.

Joseph K April 8, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I have tried these various methods of dieting. I was a feaster, so i just had to substitute the junk food i ate on a regular basis with healthy food. For me the miracle food that helped me lose weight was watermelon. I would literally stuff myself with watermelon and still had changes in my weight. Now i regularly eat small meals throughout the day. I don’t restrict myself to 2 hour time frames like some people, but in between 1 and a half to 3 hours i find works just as effectively. In the process of doing that, those meals are small and low calorie. I do this 5 days a week (mon-fri) which gives me about 2500 spare calories left to my total net calories for the week. This allows me to have a couple cheat days where i can add other foods i love like pizza, ice cream, etc. Not in huge portions, but just enough. One way or another, if you take in more calories than your body needs, it turns to fat. There’s no way around this.