“Hybrid Dieting” – Cherry Picking the Best Diet Strategies

June 26, 2012

I don’t have a label for the type of diet I like to follow. I eat Paleo meals occasionally, use Intermittent Fasting about once per week, eat Gluten Free at times, etc. If I had to come up for a term for it, I’d call it “Hybrid Dieting”. It is a loose way of eating, where I take principles from several solid diets…when it makes sense. I’ll outline some solid principles in this post for those who want to lose weight without necessarily following a rigid diet year-round.

Sauce Pan
The” Calories In/Calories Out” Strategy

I shouldn’t even call this a strategy. The idea of burning more calories than you take in, should be the #1 goal when it comes to losing body fat. Sounds obvious, right? You would think so…but I can almost guarantee you that there will be several people commenting who will dispute this strategy. There are several groups who believe that it doesn’t matter how many calories you eat…as long as you keep your insulin levels stable. These are typically the low carb groups that go by many different names. Note: There are several low carb groups who do encourage creating a deficit as well as eating low carb.

How I implement this strategy: I like to focus on a weekly calorie deficit. I figure out how many calories I can eat per week and come in at that number. I’ll eat somewhat strictly Sunday-Thursday…which gives me the ability to eat loosely on Friday night and all day Saturday.

The “Low Carb” Strategy

I believe the low carb strategy works extremely well in conjunction with creating a calorie deficit (the strategy above). So when people eat low carb (Paleo, Primal, Atkins, Slow Carb, etc)…in a calorie deficit…they will lose body fat rapidly. The main strength of eating low carb is that it keeps your insulin levels stable. Your body won’t burn fat when insulin levels are high. Low carb dieting keeps your body in fat burning mode by preventing insulin spikes.

How I implement this strategy: I love carbs, so I would be bummed if I had to eat low carb all the time. What I like to do is eat zero to low carbs throughout the day. This keeps my energy levels stable when I’m working. I like to eat most of my carbs at dinner, since this is the time I like to slow down and relax. So I’m burning fat all day…and temporarily halting the fat burning process at night.

A more effective strategy: My strategy isn’t “ideal” from a fat loss perspective, but I make it work because I wanted to structure my day like that. A better approach is to eat the majority of your carbs in the meal that follows your workout…and eat lower carb for all of your other meals. I train in the morning and I like my biggest meal to be dinner, so this won’t work for me. A better approach from a fat loss perspective would be to train after work, right before dinner (something I’m unwilling to do).

The “Intermittent Fasting” Strategy

There are several amazing benefits of intermittent fasting. Brad Pilon made a really compelling video showing how fasting has similar effects on the body as exercise: Intermittent Fasting Has Similar Effects on the Body as Intense Exercise. The nice thing about intermittent fasting is that it accomplishes both of the goals of the two methods above simultaneously. It helps create a calorie deficit and keeps insulin levels stable.

How I implement this strategy: I simply like to use intermittent fasting as a way to get my calories down a bit throughout the week. I don’t do it every week anymore, but I’ll fast until dinner on Mondays and the occasional Wednesday or Thursday. This just gives me the ability to eat loosely on Fri, Sat, and Sun…without gaining a bunch of weight.

Some Different Takes on Intermittent Fasting:

The “Small Meals Every Few Hours” Strategy

This strategy does not work for me, because I like to feast…but I think this is a strategy that can work for well for some people. I put up a poll on my Facebook Page seeing if men and women preferred to eat small meals more frequently or larger meals less frequently. A large portion of men liked large, less frequent meals…and women were about 50/50. Some people are wired to eat every few hours.

How to implement this strategy: As long as the portions are small this works well. You can create a calorie deficit and have stable insulin levels…which leads to weight loss. I’ve seen just as many people get lean eating this way as I have seen using intermittent fasting to get lean.

Some suggest women do better following this strategy: My personal experience has been that a good portion of women do best when they eat a little more frequently than men. I never knew the reason for this, until recently. Mark Sisson does a great job of explaining the concept in this post: Women and Intermittent Fasting.

The “Aggressive Low Calorie” Strategy

There are a many variations of this. Basically we are talking about a super-low calorie aggressive short-term 2-3 week diet…and possibly up to 8 weeks. Here is an outline of one I put up on my Facebook Page: Rapid Fat Loss Diet Plan – My 2 Shakes and Chicken Salad Diet. These types of diets are “vacation prep” type of diets.

How to implement this strategy: I don’t use this type of dieting anymore, because my goal is to be in “maintenance mode” for life…meaning that I never want to get out of shape again. Also, I’m not concerned with dipping down to 6% body fat anymore. I’m content with sticking around the 8-12% range these days. For those people who do like to get in crazy shape for an event, this type of diet does the trick. Just use it 1-2 times per year 2-8 weeks out from an event. Note: Some people should never attempt this as it can make some them especially irritable.

The “Cheat Day” Strategy

The idea behind the cheat day is to eat higher calories at least once per week to boost leptin levels and keep the metabolism high. Some people recommend eating as much as you want, one day per week, and others recommend a more moderate approach.

How I implement this strategy: I like the more moderate approach and simply like to up the calorie intake by eating somewhat loosely on the weekends. It seems to do the trick of keeping the leptin levels from crashing. More importantly, it allows me to live life, have fun, socialize, etc. Here is a good article which explains the positives and negatives of cheat days: Cheat Days Explained.

My Hybrid Diet Summary:

Here’s a quick bulletpoints summary of my Hybrid Diet.

• A weekly calorie deficit.
  • Strong deficit Mon-Thursday.
  • Cheating a bit Fri, Sat, and sometimes Sun.
  • Low’ish carbs and calories during the day.
  • Medium to high carbs and biggest meal at night.
  • Intermittent fasting 1-2 times per week (part of the year).

Note: I also do my cardio routine on the days I eat strictly.

Setting Up Your Own Hybrid Diet

Remember, the most important principle is eating in a way that creates a calorie deficit. If you can do that in a way that minimizes insulin spikes, it will make your diet that much more effective. It really is about that simple…the trick is to do it in a way that is easy for you and doesn’t feel like torture.

Important Message: Although this site has received 25+ million visitors, I am starting from scratch and abandoning it. This site is dated and old school looking, terrible to read on mobile, etc.

It's like a Ford Pinto compared to my new site...which is like a Ferrari. Click the link to head over to my new site.

Starting Over...R.I.P. Fitness Black Book!

Thanks for reading all these years!

Chris Hughes June 26, 2012 at 7:30 am

I’ve done a combination of a few of these as well Rusty. My main diet is a combo of slow-carb and small meals every few hours. I haven’t tried intermittent fasting yet so might incorporate that as well. Definitely going to read more about it and see if it’s something I can see myself doing.

Michael @SomebodyLied.com June 26, 2012 at 7:31 am

I do something quite similar in terms of a hybrid diet. I eat lean gains style on weekdays which as you know is a combination of intermittent fasting, paleo on rest days, refeeds on training days.

On weekends I still eat at a calorie deficit if I am cutting or around maintenance but eat anything I like. I relax the fasting and typically eat whenever I feel hungry on weekends. The control I have allows this method to work.

This method allows me to lose about 0.5-1lb of fat per week, which is really slow but makes the diet feel effortless.

Yavor- Relative Strength Advantage June 26, 2012 at 7:43 am

I eat similarly. I know people who are ripped to shreds doing hard core paleo, but I know it is not for everybody as it is socially restrictive.

Casey June 26, 2012 at 7:44 am

My biggest issue with avoiding carbs is that I love Asian and Mexican food, which often seem empty unless I get to eat rice with them. I found a recipe for chopped cauliflower that, when steamed, behaves very much like rice. Now it’s the only rice I eat. Great at 25 cal/cup as opposed to 200 cal/ .25 cup.

lowcarbdiets.about…caulirice.htm

Troy June 26, 2012 at 7:49 am

Rusty, I love the name “Hybrid Dieting”. As I read the post I realized how I use the same type of strategies – a little of this, a little of that. My schedule directs the choice most of the time. Make smart choices, but don’t beat yourself up about it. Tracking weekly is much more forgiving but still very effective.

I was on a long bout of intermittent fasting, then hit a wall where I just didn’t feel like I had the energy I should. So … I changed it up, again.

-Troy

Greg - Kinobody Fitness June 26, 2012 at 8:05 am

Very effective strategy Rusty!

I love how you save your carbs at night during the week. This is something I started doing automatically in the past as it helped me stick to a low calorie diet.

If I ever do a big cheat day I like to follow it up with a 22-24 hour fast. However I prefer to utilize high carb / low fat refeeds on my lifting days 3x per week instead of an all out cheat day once per week. While this is more strict I find it to be more effective.

Greg.

Chris June 26, 2012 at 8:08 am

I love this post Rusty, I basically eat the hybrid diet as well. I use intermittent fasting, paleo eating, light eating in general, and a strategic exercise routine to help my maintain the look and body I want. If I start to add inches, or obvious pounds I eat more paleo for a few days, do a fast and let things balance out again where they need to be.

I love the freedom to be able to really eat when there is some good stuff, and not have to worry about it. When there is less attractive food (like during the week) I just eat light and save room for the good stuff!

Irene Ryan June 26, 2012 at 8:17 am

Great post Rusty, i follow a similar regime to your good self, i get my carbs from fruit and veg and have given up all bread, pasta, rice and other starchy carbs monday to friday, saturday and sunday i eat out and allow myself whatever i fancy, as u said have to live life and life is too short, i find this is keeping me in maintenance mode, thanks again for the very informative hybid dieting post i’m a huge fan of your fitnessblackbook

Gio June 26, 2012 at 8:41 am

Hello Rusty,
I like this flexible/hybrid approach. Personally I found hard the very low carb approach Mon-Thu. I know you recommend that (I’ve the VI Cardio) but I honestly think this is not for all.

One question: Have you had the chance to read recent variations to the Warrior Diet ? — don’t know if I can mention these.
thanks

Mitchell - Home Fitness Manual June 26, 2012 at 8:41 am

It’s good to see others also mix different eating styles and make it their own. I’m going to have to borrow your “Hybrid Dieting” term for when I’m trying to describe my meal plans to my co-workers.

-Mitchell

phil June 26, 2012 at 9:30 am

useful post. at 6’1″ & 175 lbs i’m very happy with where i am, so i aim for only maintenance in all things diet and excercise. fasting never appealed much to me as i always end up ravenous and craving every speck of refined carb in sight, so i aim for a just-sub maintenence calorie diet with a focus on minimal and low-gi carbs, which sorts me out nicely. i don’t go bonkers on high protein, but try to stay nutritionally balanced and making sure that i do a short weight or cardio session every day to ensure metabolic momentum and to maintain current build and composition. cheers rusty!

Drew Nemer June 26, 2012 at 9:35 am

My diet and nutrition is based on getting muscle growth with fat loss for a six pack

I go paleo 7 days a week. Workout 4-5 days. 1 day of hiit cardio for 15 minutes. Low carb as well. I do at most 125 grams of carbs a day. I eat about 1.8 x grams of protein a day. Also I do about 120 grams of good fats. I limIt sugar and sodium. Sodium to less than 3000. Sugar to less than 60. I eat in Total around 2300 calories a day with plenty of water.

I am on phase one of visual impact. But I do half the legs workout day because I have already large legs.

Last Sunday I attempted my first 24 hour fast from eat stop eat. I ate breakfast so I can take Meds. And I fasted till the same time the next day. Still debating on the fasting idea because I don’t know if it is healthy for me or counteractive to my strives to gain 3 lbs in muscle with less body fat.

My supplements are from Poliqion; Fenuplex for incilin control, รผber nutrients (multi vitamin), omega 3, amino acids, bcaa, whey supreme 2.0, and alpha gpc.

Betty Rocker June 26, 2012 at 9:47 am

I love this article – there is no “one size fits all” when it comes to our daily diet in my opinion. Getting as much knowledge as you can and trying multiple aproaches gives you the freedom to organically develop a “what works for your body” approach. Personally, I follow paleo about 80% of the time, but leave my options open for days when I’m socializing or eating out.
I tend to eat about 4-5 times a day, but have days where that just doesn’t work out. I like knowing that different eating strategies can also be healthy – it reduces my stress around not being able to follow my favorite plan.
Consequently, my body looks awesome and I don’t feel guilty for having the occasional ice cream sundae or piece of pie.

Al Pinton June 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

Great reading! After too many years of overweight I’m getting fairly close to my goal weight. I’m still lousy at counting calories but I can see the rewards of doing it, and all the approaches you present make the whole procedure very flexible.

Frank June 26, 2012 at 9:58 am

Great post Rusty! Thanks to you all of my fitness goals are on track and I will succeed! I have been following ur advice to the letter strict the last 2 months and I almost don’t recognize myself!! All thanks and appreciation my friend.

Mike Mortgan June 26, 2012 at 10:28 am

Good post Rusty. It got me thinking; maybe it would be a good idea to “periodize” my dieting just like I periodize training . In general, if you have a specific goal for a period of time, then essentially you are using periodization. Use Aggressive Low calorie approach for 2 week Microcycle, followed by IF for 2 month Mesocycle, and then Cheat period before returning the next microcycle.

Derek June 26, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I tend to think the best approach to dieting is to look for what most experts agree on, and focus on practicality more than ideology which would amount to a degree of mix and matching like you’ve presented Rusty.

It’s great that you give a variety of options as it gives a certain sense of freedom, although I’ve noticed some people prefer to have someone tell them exactly what to do and have trouble thinking through things for themselves.

To me though, it’s critical that we can analyze the benefits of each approach and find out what works best for our individual lifestyles. That means letting go of being too dogmatic about things; which is essential to always be learning and discovering new approaches.

Kris Rocco June 26, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Hey Rusty your buddy Kris from nyc..you forgot the high carb strategy..its the holy grail…not kidding man lost nearly 20 lbs now doing about 80 percent carbs and fat is just melting off..i will send you a copy of my book when done rusty hope u are well!
Kris NYC

Paul June 26, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Great post Rusty! Most people don’t realize that if you once you get to a good place physically you can actually go out have a few beers and a burger without gaining any weight. I prefer a low carb/intermittent fasting diet myself. Keep the posts coming!

Zorik June 26, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Great post Rusty!

I also follow a similar “hybrid diet”.
I do low carb Paleo 6 days per week.
Lean gains fasting everyday- 2 meals per day coz its just easier:)
I have lost over 20 pounds since January eating this way!

I still haven’t reached my goal weight yet. So you mentioned earlier that you workout in morning and don’t have carbs till dinner? I thought its best to have carbs after your resistance workout?

I started training bodyweight resistance 3 days per week and only have carbs on those days right after the workout. And 2 days of HIIT plus steady state cardio on non resistance days with no/low carbs. Hopefully that will help me reach 10% body fat by next year:)

Jeff June 26, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Ya Rusty!

Great post! I myself put the different styles of dieting into a hybrid diet by prioritizing the following:

1. Calories In, Calories Out
2. Lean gains-style fasting
3. Low carb on rest days

James Duffy June 26, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I’m in the same boat. I don’t see a need to restrict my diet options (low carb, low fat, paleo or whatever), because I’ve found a way to get in good shape eating whatever I want. Here’s what I do:

– Replace breakfast with coffee (leangains style daily fasting)
– Eat a big lunch and dinner (usually one of these is low carb, the other is whatever)
– If I’m going to eat a high-carb meal, workout sometime beforehand to deplete my muscles of glycogen
– Occasionally stuff myself (cheat day), then push myself harder in my workouts or eat light / low-carb for the next day or two.
– Do some sort of exercise every day

That’s basically it. I don’t eat “clean” at all. Some of the meals I eat are ridiculous, to the point that you can’t even call what I do “dieting.” Yet I have a six-pack and am making gains toward my goals. Weekly calories in / calories out works, even if I don’t bother to count my calories. If you want to eat something unhealthy, just compensate by eating less with your other meals.

I feel bad for those who feel the need to eat paleo or low-carb all the time. I eat pasta, burgers, cookies, ice cream, cake, etc. And I do it every week ๐Ÿ˜‰

Clint - Crude Fitness June 26, 2012 at 2:49 pm

No doubt about it โ€” flexible eating strategies are the key to a life time of results. Sticking to one method is about as exciting as never ‘mixing up’ your gym routine.
Nice post mate…

Don June 26, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I have had a lot of success with the Renegade Diet, a version of IF. I like the idea of a hybrid diet, and might have to experiment with it. Great Post!

Bartimaus June 26, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I need to look into the regular intermittent fasting thing. I rarely fast and when I do, it is usually for prayer. I always hear that fasting is so terrible for a diet but it sounds like a viable part. The best thing for weight loss for me is a combination of depression and working second shift, both of which, I hate.

Austin @ No Nonsense Fitness Tips June 26, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I never knew what to call my diet until today! Just like you and a few others in the comment section, my diet is a combination of all the diets you listed.

Some days I’m primal, others I’m warrior, and others I’m low carb.

I like your recommendation to be stricter from Sun-Thurs. I hate having to restrict myself on Friday and Saturday nights.

Lorenzo June 27, 2012 at 1:05 am

Hi Rusty!
I love your blog, it changed the way I look and the way I feel so deeply in the last months.
So first of all “Thak you!”.

I need your view.
When you follow the “Aggressive low calories” strategy and you end up losing too much weight (I think partially because of the depleted muscle) but you have still to lose some BF, what is the best to do?
Being less aggressive for a while?

Martin June 27, 2012 at 9:14 am

Speaking as an IF refugee, I think people need to be really careful before going too far with fasting. Trust me, for some people intense training combined with IF can really mess up your metabolism.

brad June 27, 2012 at 10:36 am

uh– so if you’re at a weekly calorie deficeit and life is made up of weeks, that would make you an anorexic. That also makes this site pro anorexia.

Niko - no eXcuse fitness June 27, 2012 at 2:49 pm

@ brad, I think the above advice about Hybrid Dieting to be labelled as pro anorexic is a about as educated as calling all bodybuilding sites pro muscle dysmorphia. Anorexia Nervosa is an eating disorder characterized by markedly reduced appetite or total aversion to food. Anorexia is a serious psychological disorder. It is a condition that goes well beyond dieting. Seriously mate, Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers would have some serious issues if the world subscribed to your interpretation of Anorexia.

@ Rusty, great run down on different options available to people looking to get into shape.

Niko

Tim June 28, 2012 at 2:32 am

I am 5’7″. Blew out to 88kg (I think 200lbs). Am now 62kg (around 140lbs). Over two years.

Did it via: minimal white carbs (bread, grains). Still ate rice. Mainly protein and fat (from meat, avos, milk etc).

Now, I ride about 300-400km a week on the bike. I do a lot of physical work (we own 10 acres with animals and trees/agri crops).

I run, and do short HIIT.

Body fat around 7%.

I eat a lot of seed + meat protein (I formulated my own seed based protein cereal home-made-version-of-kapai-puku/) but have a lot of treats (home made muffins, etc).

I think a weekly calorie deficit is key. After speaking to a sports dietician – it doesn’t matter what you eat (within reason), just be sensible. HIIT, cardio, etc, calorie deficit and you’ll be fine.

Ryan June 28, 2012 at 11:21 am

I just recently started the bonus phase of VI this week. I’m mixing up my diet a bit while still keeping my calories low, carbs low and protein high. My concern is that the hypertrophy + creatine will cause my to lose the hard/dense/defined muscles I’ve spent the past 2 months creating. I know this particular phase is only 3-4 weeks long but I won’t want to look soft and puffy. I know you’ve said within VI that you would retain the hard density but how?

Josh June 29, 2012 at 5:09 am

Great article Rusty. I’ve seen a lot of authors blasting the “calories in, calories out” theory. But making sure I consume fewer calories than I burn has been the best strategy I have found to stay lean. I personally do a daily calorie deficit and take a cheat day or two on the weekend. These cheat days used to be an epic trilogy of pizza, fried food, and ice cream…now they are just a cheat meal or two. I can no longer handle a full day of deep-fried saturated fat ;). Guess I’m getting old.

zaini June 29, 2012 at 2:27 pm

yeah , right , when you start journey of losing weight then your goal is to burn calories more then you take in. when i start my weight lose journey , i measure calories in eatables which i daily eat and after eating , i drink green tea for burning calories or go for walk.

Alykhan - Fitness Breakout June 29, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I take a similar approach to dieting. Once you become aware of the principles and the effects various eating plans have on satiety, mood, fat loss, etc. then you can customize the best eating plan for you to achieve your goals.

I also prefer to eat very strict and low carb during the week so that I can indulge a little more on weekends. Timing carbs after workouts is also something that has helped curb fat gain on binge days.

Alykhan

Becky June 29, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I am just starting my fitness goals- inspired by a book written by Steve Amoils, M.D. & Sandi Amoils, M.D. titled, “Get Well & Stay Well.” I have been working on diet, now it is time for exercise. I have picked up some great tips from your post. Thank you!

Mike July 1, 2012 at 5:42 am

Great Article. I like to keep low on the carbs myself as personally that works well for me, but also like to mix it up. I mainly go by what my body tells me and stick to H.I.I.T.

Good Work!

Aaron July 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Hey Rusty, great post! I’ve used many of these strategies with great success, works like a charm.

Was wondering if maybe for a future article you could do something on fat cell turnover or hyperplasia of fat cells. There’s seems to be a lot of opinions floating around with what actually is the case and not enough scientific proof.

If you could find some studies and talk about it that’d be great! I have a few buddies who get discouraged because they feel like they’ve gotten too big and even if they slim down, they’ve “created” new fat cells and they say it would be harder to keep fit.

To me its just an excuse but I’ve always been lean so I can’t relate with them.

If you could submit a post with facts about what it actually takes for fat cells to multiply (how fat you actually have to get) and some hope for those out there.

I know a lot of people in the bodybuilding community have to rethink bulking and cutting because there is risk of fat cell hyperplasia. Some facts though on the topic would be great.

Cheers!

Alvin @ how to lose weight quickly July 2, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I’ve tried intermittent fasting, and also being in a big calorie deficit, but I notice that the best way to lose weight easily without stripping away any muscle is a four day carb cyle, where you eat low carbs on three days, and high carbs on the fourth day. Repeat this sequence until your body reaches the ideal you want. This method is also recommended by Scooby and Rob Riches

Monos July 3, 2012 at 6:39 am

The ebook, The Back Pain Choice is written by Jon V. Monos. A back pain suffer for over 35 years. Diagnosed with all of the following: scoliosis, sciatica, herniated disc, facet joint syndrome, degenerative disc disease, arthritis and bulging disc. Jon V. figured out the establishment was going to put him in an early grave, or make him an invalid, or both. He made the choice to do something about it. No more injections, narcotics or quacks trying the latest greatest gimmicks. Find out how you can help save your own life from back pain. Jon V. has never had surgery on his back although doctors have wanted to place steel rods, fuse and burn nerves in his back. This ebook is one hundred percent guaranteed. Also you may want to get the handbook which has all the great information, but in written form. 100% guaranteed. It is up to you to do for yourself what others will not. Make the Back Pain Choice Now today. Find out more from here…
ebookonbackpain.com.
thebackpainchoice.com

chnlove com July 12, 2012 at 11:54 pm

It looks so delicious,I want to have a taste!

Daniel July 13, 2012 at 9:49 am

I dont follow any specific diet either mine is just my own and does incorporate a few of the different types of diets but i wouldn’t say im on a diet as per say lol.. i just eat how and when i need to eat. I do make sure i get enough protien thoughout the day and my diet is mostly low carb but thats just how i eat it isnt part of “my diet”
I dont believe in diets that people should follow because everyones body is different so you find one may work well for one person but not for another. By all means take the basics of one diet but adapt it to your own needs.. i mean lets face it would are not going to stick to a diet you hate and that your body reacts badly too..

Roberta Saum July 14, 2012 at 8:38 am

Rusty, I absolutely LOVE this article. You have covered all basis. Very nice. Very useful. This is a keeper for me.
-Roberta

Harry July 15, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Hi all,
This post has provided comprehensive view of all the different diets around. Not all diets are suitable for everyone. With so much conflicting advice and weight-loss options, how do you know which diet is the best for you? And which weight-loss programs really work?
First, you will need to know your body type and lifestyle. For example, what has your past experience with other diets been? What is your budget? What is your preference? Secondly, you will need to consult a doctor to review any weight loss problems you have and set a weight loss goal for you.

Hope all these advice helps! ๐Ÿ™‚

Luke M-Davies July 16, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I like the term “Hybrid Dieting” but as I am anti-diets – perhaps “Hybrid Eating” is a better option for me!

On the Calories-In/Calories-Out, I have to admit that I’ve never done calorie counting – it is a bit too much effort and restrictive. I understand for those struggling to lose weight, it may be the safest approach to make sure you get the right weight loss equation for your body. I’m not sure it is sustainable though and cannot imagine eating by numbers. Just keep active throughout the week and you should naturally find your balance once at your target weight.

As I find it easy to exercise in starvation mode after waking, IF and EatStopEat have been very effective calorie-restriction options. I am most alert and have some great workouts in this state. I always feel more ‘detoxed’ after an short fast of around 16-18 hours. I have shared how effective it can be to ‘Cardio-Fast’ – http://www.lmdfitness.com/training/cardio-fasting-fat-loss/

Great summary article Rusty – helps to put many myths aside too!
Luke

Lorii Abela July 17, 2012 at 8:11 am

Great article, Rusty!.. Absolutely, very helpful and useful to all who want to get the right diet and be fit. Thanks for sharing.

Richard July 17, 2012 at 10:03 am

I know what works for me because I’ve experimented over the years and that’s what you need to do, not slavishly stick to any one diet but do what works for you.

James July 23, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I found that a hybrid approach like this works well for me too. I can go most of the day feeling great without carbs but at night I don’t sleep very well unless I eat some either at dinner or before bed.

Full Body Workout July 25, 2012 at 3:07 am

I am all for the calorie in/out method. I have tried a few and the eating right calories and burning them, is the best option for me.

John D July 26, 2012 at 8:47 am

You are dead on correct. People just don’t get it, no matter how often they have heard this advice